Posted to rec.food.cooking
Jude

Default What to put on the side?

aem wrote:
> Jude wrote:
> > I'm not findinf a lot of inspiration for dinner tonight. I'm in the
> > mood for a nic thick hot soup, so I'm going to do split pea with
> > homemade croutons on top. I'm tired of the sup/salad combo; we've had
> > several big yummy salads this week. What should I serve alongside? (no
> > mean please) I was thinking of maybe some kind of fruit salad, but of
> > course bieng winter the options are limited. The apples this week were
> > all soft and icky, othersie I'd be thinking about Waldorf Salad.
> >
> > Maybe some kind of barley pilaf with stock and nuts would go well. Hm
> > Help me out here!

> I know you said no salad, but maybe you just meant green salad. All
> these flavors go well with split peas.
>
> 3 Cups shredded carrot
> 1 Cup raisins (regular or golden)
> 1 TB salad oil
> 1 TB honey
> 2 TB lemon juice
> 2 TB orange juice
> pinch nutmeg
>
> Toss it all together while the soup is cooking. Cover and refrigerate
> to blend flavors. -aem

Ooooh, it's been forever since I've made a carrot/raisin salad! What a
good idea....if I have enough carrots left after some go in the soup.
Crunchy and a little sweet. And my food processor died last week, so i
just bought a new one - this gives me a chance to try out the grater on
the carrots!

Oh yeah, and you read me right - I meant no green, lettuce-based salad
tonight. Thanks for the idea, your recipe sounds like a good one!