Posted to alt.food.wine
Hunt

Default Chile's Finest

In article <EEeuf.5211$aB1.2715@trnddc02>, says...

>Happy New Year,
>
>I'm new to this newsgroup and wanted to join in. Last night I opened a
>wonderful wine from Chile to share with my brother-in-law who was visiting
>us in Florida. The 2001 Casa Lapostelle Clos Apalta was amazing. I decanted
>for about 30 minutes before serving, what a nose....it excited the senses
>with the smell of ripe berries. This wine was full bodied and had a long
>finish. I would recommend this wine for those wanting to experience a world
>class wine from Chile.
>
>Cheers,
>
>Paul

Paul,

I'm in Ed's camp on the wines of Chile, though I have had good success with
both South African and Argentenian Malbec. I picked up some of the Clos Aplata
a few years back on the recs for several friends, but have not tried any yet -
seems that I have both the '00 & '01. I've done several winemaker dinners
sponsored by Casa Lapostelle, and had tasted their "best," then. Underwhelmed
was my accessment, but I still bought the Clos Apalta, just in case. To date,
I have had but one Chilean that I would buy again. Based on your observations
on the '01, I'll crack open a btl of the '00 and do some TN's on it. I keep
trying Chileans, most provided at no-charge by distributors, or retailers, and
keep hoping... but so far, pretty much in vain.

Hunt