Posted to alt.food.wine
PP

Default Chile's Finest

Happy New Year,

I'm new to this newsgroup and wanted to join in. Last night I opened a
wonderful wine from Chile to share with my brother-in-law who was visiting
us in Florida. The 2001 Casa Lapostelle Clos Apalta was amazing. I decanted
for about 30 minutes before serving, what a nose....it excited the senses
with the smell of ripe berries. This wine was full bodied and had a long
finish. I would recommend this wine for those wanting to experience a world
class wine from Chile.

Cheers,

Paul

Posted to alt.food.wine
Ed Rasimus

On Mon, 02 Jan 2006 18:53:24 GMT, "PP" > wrote:

>Happy New Year,
>
>I'm new to this newsgroup and wanted to join in. Last night I opened a
>wonderful wine from Chile to share with my brother-in-law who was visiting
>us in Florida. The 2001 Casa Lapostelle Clos Apalta was amazing. I decanted
>for about 30 minutes before serving, what a nose....it excited the senses
>with the smell of ripe berries. This wine was full bodied and had a long
>finish. I would recommend this wine for those wanting to experience a world
>class wine from Chile.
>
>Cheers,
>
>Paul

Happy New Year back at you.

I've always been a bit disappointed by S. American wines and downright
appalled by S. African, despite the considerable hype both have
received. Some day I am certain I will be overwhelmed by a S. African
wine and although I've been less than impressed with my explorations
into Malbec, I will freely admit that I've recently enjoyed several
offerings from Casa Lapostelle.

Excellent QPR and wide availability--if I'm finding it drinkable from
Sam's Club in Sherman TX, it's got to be widely distributed.

Dunno that I'd give it "world class" but will keep an open mind.

Ed Rasimus
Fighter Pilot (USAF-Ret)
"When Thunder Rolled"
www.thunderchief.org
www.thundertales.blogspot.com
Posted to alt.food.wine
PP

Ed,
that is the great thing about food and wine, we each have our own taste.
One thing I have learned in my several years of tasting and drinking is that
my "great" wine may rate only 'so-so" with the wine critics or others that
enjoy the grape.
I spent some time around Santiago while I was in the Navy and found it to be
much like my native California in respect to soil and climate. I think as
the Chilean wine industry matures you may find your world class Chilean
wine.
Cheers,
Paul

"Ed Rasimus" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 02 Jan 2006 18:53:24 GMT, "PP" > wrote:
>
>>Happy New Year,
>>
>>I'm new to this newsgroup and wanted to join in. Last night I opened a
>>wonderful wine from Chile to share with my brother-in-law who was visiting
>>us in Florida. The 2001 Casa Lapostelle Clos Apalta was amazing. I
>>decanted
>>for about 30 minutes before serving, what a nose....it excited the senses
>>with the smell of ripe berries. This wine was full bodied and had a long
>>finish. I would recommend this wine for those wanting to experience a
>>world
>>class wine from Chile.
>>
>>Cheers,
>>
>>Paul
>>

> Happy New Year back at you.
>
> I've always been a bit disappointed by S. American wines and downright
> appalled by S. African, despite the considerable hype both have
> received. Some day I am certain I will be overwhelmed by a S. African
> wine and although I've been less than impressed with my explorations
> into Malbec, I will freely admit that I've recently enjoyed several
> offerings from Casa Lapostelle.
>
> Excellent QPR and wide availability--if I'm finding it drinkable from
> Sam's Club in Sherman TX, it's got to be widely distributed.
>
> Dunno that I'd give it "world class" but will keep an open mind.
>

> Ed Rasimus
> Fighter Pilot (USAF-Ret)
> "When Thunder Rolled"
> www.thunderchief.org
> www.thundertales.blogspot.com

Posted to alt.food.wine

Gotta go with Ed, myself. The last Chilean wine I got excited about
was a 1992 Santa Rita Reserve cab. I didn't know much about wine back
then, but I knew it was better than the plonk I'd been drinking. And
it was only $10 a bottle. Today the 2002 SR Maipo Reserve is selling
for under eight bucks, and the '02 SR Medalla Reserva (WS-89) is $14.

On the other end of the scale: One of my accomplices in wine crime was
gifted a bottle of 2003 Montes Alpha 'M', and was airing it out when I
arrived at his place. The Spectator gave 'M' 94 points and a "Highly
Recommended" rating.(They did not, however, rate in their Top 100.) I
gave it a C- and a "Save your money." Aside from some nice cherry
overtones in the nose -- and that was only if you swirled the heck
out of it in a very large glass -- it didn't do anything for me. I
found the alcohol dominating (14.8%), and the rest of it flat and
uninteresting.

I've had one S. African wine I liked, but I'll be darned if I can
recall the name. (I think it started with a K.) It was recommended by
a staffer at Martin Wine Cellar in New Orleans four years ago. I
raised my eyebrows at the $4.99 price tag, but it turned out to be
rather decent.

JJ

On Mon, 02 Jan 2006 21:13:41 GMT, Ed Rasimus
> wrote:

>I've always been a bit disappointed by S. American wines and downright
>appalled by S. African, despite the considerable hype both have
>received. Some day I am certain I will be overwhelmed by a S. African
>wine and although I've been less than impressed with my explorations
>into Malbec, I will freely admit that I've recently enjoyed several
>offerings from Casa Lapostelle.

Posted to alt.food.wine
Anders Tørneskog

> skrev i melding
> I've had one S. African wine I liked, but I'll be darned if I can
> recall the name. (I think it started with a K.)

Would that be the Kanonkop? A rather nice one, I've heard.
Anders

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Wed, 04 Jan 2006 20:40:37 GMT, "Anders Tørneskog"
> wrote:

> skrev i melding
.. .
>> I've had one S. African wine I liked, but I'll be darned if I can
>> recall the name. (I think it started with a K.)

>Would that be the Kanonkop? A rather nice one, I've heard.

Nope, that's not it. Wish I could recall. But thanks for thrying.

JJ

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Wed, 04 Jan 2006 14:34:58 +0100, Michael Pronay >
wrote:

>Knowing the wine (although not this particular vintage) this VERY
>MUCH looks like a fruit scalped wine due to low-level TCA cork
>taint.
>
>Give it a second chance!

Thanks, Michael. I'll pass your comments along to my buddy, too.

JJ

Posted to alt.food.wine
Robert

How about Kumala??

I just found out about this one in Houston over Thanksgiving.

We really enjoy their Chardonnay... about $6

> wrote in message
> On Wed, 04 Jan 2006 20:40:37 GMT, "Anders Tørneskog"
> > wrote:
>

> skrev i melding
. ..
>>> I've had one S. African wine I liked, but I'll be darned if I can
>>> recall the name. (I think it started with a K.)

>>Would that be the Kanonkop? A rather nice one, I've heard.

> Nope, that's not it. Wish I could recall. But thanks for thrying.
>
> JJ

Posted to alt.food.wine
beernuts

PP wrote:
> Happy New Year,
>
> I'm new to this newsgroup and wanted to join in. Last night I opened a
> wonderful wine from Chile to share with my brother-in-law who was visiting
> us in Florida. The 2001 Casa Lapostelle Clos Apalta was amazing. I decanted
> for about 30 minutes before serving, what a nose....it excited the senses
> with the smell of ripe berries. This wine was full bodied and had a long
> finish. I would recommend this wine for those wanting to experience a world
> class wine from Chile.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Paul

I had a dynamite Montes Syrah this week, apparently it made Wine
Spectator's top 100 wines of 2005. Amazingly full bodied, lush, dense,
oaked, very well done. For $16. Unbelievable.