Posted to alt.food.wine
Emery Davis

Default Chateauneuf du Pape 1998

Hi Tom,

On Tue, 27 Dec 2005 17:46:52 GMT
"Tom S" > wrote:

] "Emery Davis" > wrote in message
] ...
[]
] > Yes in american it is John Doe. The Brits version I can't quite
] > think of just now. John Blood? Doesn't quite ring true.
]
] How about John Bull?
]

That sounds good to me!

] Actually, in America John Doe isn't much used in credit card ads anymore.
] It has become very common to "rent" the names of celebrities instead - and
] not just movie stars. I've seen sports figures, politicians, astronauts,
] writers etc.
]
] Just a question to drag this back on topic a bit:
] What sort of vintage is 2003 for CdP? I see that Costco has Vieux
] Telegraphe on the shelf for $37US, which looks like a good price for one of
] my favorite red wines.
]

I think there will be some excellent '03s. As usual with this bizarre
summer an expert hand is required. I haven't gone tasting yet
so I can't comment in particular, but I'm betting the V.T. will be
a classic big boned CdP young. Whether there is sufficient
acidity for the long term, maybe you can try a bottle and let
us know!

] BTW, what does "La Crau" translate to in English? TIA.
]

La Crau is a commune in the Var, which presumably doesn't
apply. However it is also used to describe the (formerly) desert
region formed by the river Durance delta as it joins the Rhone.
That at least puts you in the right area, so I'm guessing the
vineyard is located in this rocky flatland. (Larousse is great
for this kind of minutia!)

-E

--
Emery Davis