Posted to alt.food.diabetic
MaryL

Default New Dieter: Considering Glycemic Load How To Eat Fruits and Vegetables

"Sherry" > wrote in message
. 97.142...
> "MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER> wrote in
>
> <snip>
>
>> <snip>I had FBG testing in the
>> doctor's office at every check-up (annually for many years,
>> semi-annually in recent years). Still, I was not diagnosed in June
>> of 2004. I am convinced that I had diabetes for many years before
>> it was detected <snip> I have since read that many authorities
>> believe diabetes goes undetected for a number of years in many
>> patients, some say as many as 5 years and others say as many as 10
>> years.<snip>
>>
>> MaryL

> MaryL,
>
> I have records of my labs to 1993. I was diagnosed in 1999. Of the 8
> labs previously to that, 5 had mildly elevated blood sugars (125-135
> range). Only one doc said "you need to watch what you eat". He did a
> retest when my fasting was 125 and the retest a month later was 130.
> Two months later it was 98 so I guess he figured I didn't have
> diabetes.
>
> I think docs are more prone to jump on a diabetes diagnosis now, esp
> with the "pre-diabetes" classification. Sure hope so.
>
> Sherry

I think docs do take "borderline" tests seriously now (at least, mine does).
My doc says he now acts on anyone with a FBG measurment over 100. My sister
has a friend who has been diagnosed with "insulin resistance" -- a common
term now but one that I never even heard of just a few years ago.

MaryL