Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Chris

Default New Dieter: Considering Glycemic Load How To Eat Fruits and Vegetables

Hello,

Reviewing the available lists of GL food counts, it appears that I
have already been
following a diet based on low to intermediate GL. Is that a miracle or
what!

I'm not a diabetic, but I wish to adopt this philosophy to help me
live longer based on the
book Fantastic Voyage (Kurzweil, Grossman).

I already eat mostly raw fruit and vegetables, but I am only
semi-vegetarian! (I.e.: I will eat
anything at special occasions such as parties etc. [usually every few
weeks])

Questions:

Do I only have to reduce my intake of dried dates and raisins to
be eating intermediate to
low GL?

Using The New Glucose Revolution tables, if I eat low to
intermediate Glycemic Load is
that considered a non-high GL diet?

Can I eat a lot of these foods and be considered low to
intermediate GL? Is this bad?

What other recommendations can you give me?

Thank you,
Christopher Lusardi

Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Nicky

"Chris" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> I'm not a diabetic,

Ah, well, you see - we are. We use the GI diet as only one tool in a diet
designed for one purpose - to control blood glucose levels. By the time we
become diabetic, there are so many things wrong with our metabolic pathways
that we might almost be on a different planet to non-diabetics. As an
example, low-GL oatmeal gives me blood glucose numbers that would get me
admitted if I took them to hospital.

We can't help.

Nicky.

--
A1c 10.5/5.6/<6 T2 DX 05/2004
1g Metformin, 100ug Thyroxine

Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Julie Bove

"Chris" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Hello,
>
> Reviewing the available lists of GL food counts, it appears that I
> have already been
> following a diet based on low to intermediate GL. Is that a miracle or
> what!
>
> I'm not a diabetic, but I wish to adopt this philosophy to help me
> live longer based on the
> book Fantastic Voyage (Kurzweil, Grossman).
>
> I already eat mostly raw fruit and vegetables, but I am only
> semi-vegetarian! (I.e.: I will eat
> anything at special occasions such as parties etc. [usually every few
> weeks])
>
> Questions:
>
> Do I only have to reduce my intake of dried dates and raisins to
> be eating intermediate to
> low GL?
>
> Using The New Glucose Revolution tables, if I eat low to
> intermediate Glycemic Load is
> that considered a non-high GL diet?
>
> Can I eat a lot of these foods and be considered low to
> intermediate GL? Is this bad?
>
> What other recommendations can you give me?

I don't follow GL. None of the dieticians I've seen have recommended it
because they think it is a faulty system. For one thing, if you combine two
foods in a meal, you've changed the GL. And for someone to figure out the
GL of all the possible combinations of foods would be a task that would take
a lifetime and then some.

Also, I've found that the GI doesn't seem to apply to me. For examples,
potatoes are supposed to be bad. Yet they work well for me in terms of BG
(blood glucose).

If you do not have diabetes, pre-diabetes, reactive glycemia, etc., I see no
reason to follow such a diet. And even if you do, you might find such a
diet doesn't help.

--
See my webpage:

Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Chris

First, I want to hope everyone the best and thank you for your nudges.
I apologize if my
posts seem inappropriate.

I am in the process of learning how to use a GL based diet. The reason
for doing this is
it's my hobby to do things that promote living longer and healtier.
Consequently, should I
just read the various books mentioned indirectly through the faq? In an
effort to try and get
my mind fixed out, what simple things do I do? (Do I go out and get a
machine to test the
sugar level of my blood?)

Happy Holidays,
Christopher Lusardi

P.S.: One of the reasons I posted my query was I want to share, what I
think, is a good
book with everyone, Fantastic Voyage. And, ilicit critiques of it.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Nicky

"Chris" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> I am in the process of learning how to use a GL based diet. The reason
> for doing this is
> it's my hobby to do things that promote living longer and healtier.

There are a zillion GI cookery books in the shops now. Most also give you an
idea at least whether a food is low, medium or high GI.

> (Do I go out and get a
> machine to test the
> sugar level of my blood?)

No. As a non-diabetic, your blood sugar will be rock steady whatever diet
you follow.

Nicky.

--
A1c 10.5/5.6/<6 T2 DX 05/2004
1g Metformin, 100ug Thyroxine
95/72/72Kg

Posted to alt.food.diabetic
MaryL

"Chris" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> In an
> effort to try and get
> my mind fixed out, what simple things do I do? (Do I go out and get a
> machine to test the
> sugar level of my blood?)
>
> Happy Holidays,
> Christopher Lusardi

I don't know anything about you (age, weight, possible health problems,
etc.), and details such as I just mentioned could be a factor in answering
your question about testing. However, I *do* think it is a good idea for
non-diabetics to *occasionally* test (but don't be obsessive about it). I
had FBG testing in the doctor's office at every check-up (annually for many
years, semi-annually in recent years). Still, I was not diagnosed in June
of 2004. I am convinced that I had diabetes for many years before it was
detected -- all of the symptoms that I had reported disappeared after I was
diagnosed and brought my sugar under control through weight loss and dietary
management (haven't needed medication since March). At the time, I
suspected heart problems, and the doctor apparently had those same
concerns -- but all tests came back normal. I have since read that many
authorities believe diabetes goes undetected for a number of years in many
patients, some say as many as 5 years and others say as many as 10 years.
This makes sense to me because glucose readings do vary and therefore a test
taken only once or twice a year could miss borderline cases.

MaryL

Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Sherry

"MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER> wrote in

<snip>

> <snip>I had FBG testing in the
> doctor's office at every check-up (annually for many years,
> semi-annually in recent years). Still, I was not diagnosed in June
> of 2004. I am convinced that I had diabetes for many years before
> it was detected <snip> I have since read that many authorities
> believe diabetes goes undetected for a number of years in many
> patients, some say as many as 5 years and others say as many as 10
> years.<snip>
>
> MaryL

MaryL,

I have records of my labs to 1993. I was diagnosed in 1999. Of the 8
labs previously to that, 5 had mildly elevated blood sugars (125-135
range). Only one doc said "you need to watch what you eat". He did a
retest when my fasting was 125 and the retest a month later was 130.
Two months later it was 98 so I guess he figured I didn't have
diabetes.

I think docs are more prone to jump on a diabetes diagnosis now, esp
with the "pre-diabetes" classification. Sure hope so.

Sherry
Posted to alt.food.diabetic
MaryL

"Sherry" > wrote in message
. 97.142...
> "MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER> wrote in
>
> <snip>
>
>> <snip>I had FBG testing in the
>> doctor's office at every check-up (annually for many years,
>> semi-annually in recent years). Still, I was not diagnosed in June
>> of 2004. I am convinced that I had diabetes for many years before
>> it was detected <snip> I have since read that many authorities
>> believe diabetes goes undetected for a number of years in many
>> patients, some say as many as 5 years and others say as many as 10
>> years.<snip>
>>
>> MaryL

> MaryL,
>
> I have records of my labs to 1993. I was diagnosed in 1999. Of the 8
> labs previously to that, 5 had mildly elevated blood sugars (125-135
> range). Only one doc said "you need to watch what you eat". He did a
> retest when my fasting was 125 and the retest a month later was 130.
> Two months later it was 98 so I guess he figured I didn't have
> diabetes.
>
> I think docs are more prone to jump on a diabetes diagnosis now, esp
> with the "pre-diabetes" classification. Sure hope so.
>
> Sherry

I think docs do take "borderline" tests seriously now (at least, mine does).
My doc says he now acts on anyone with a FBG measurment over 100. My sister
has a friend who has been diagnosed with "insulin resistance" -- a common
term now but one that I never even heard of just a few years ago.

MaryL