Posted to rec.food.cooking
Mark Shaw

Default Beef roasting time

Stark > wrote:
> In article >, Mark Shaw
> > wrote:
> > > I have a 7 lb 10 oz standing rib roast (bone-in) which I intend
> > > to roast to an internal temperature of 118F in a 200F oven. After
> > > carryover takes it to 130F, it'll go back in at 500F for about 10
> > > minutes for crusting.

> > > How long should I anticipate it would take to achieve those
> > > temperature targets?

> > Results: it took about 4 1/2 hours to come up to 118F, and
> > another hour for carryover to take it to 128F. I actually
> > left in in the hot oven for 15 minutes, and after a brief
> > rest it carved out to a very nice medium-rare.
> >
> > So: about 45 min/lb for the initial roasting and carryover.
> > This was with the convection option.
> >

> Hmmmm. 200F. That's my plate-warming temp. No room for the roast.

Hah! My plates get warmed on my hood shelf under a heat lamp.

http://www.panix.com/~mshaw/images/k.../target48.html

> Guess I could just sit with the roast in my lap for a couple of TV
> football games. But if you really found a slooooow-roast better than a
> more expeditious one, I could find a way.

I've always prefered low-and-slow for beef. The connective
tissue gets rubbery at higher temps, and makes the meat tough.

--
Mark Shaw moc TOD liamg TA wahsnm
"All of my mistakes are giving me ideas." - Natalie Lileks