Posted to rec.food.cooking
Mark Shaw

Default Beef roasting time

I have a 7 lb 10 oz standing rib roast (bone-in) which I intend
to roast to an internal temperature of 118F in a 200F oven. After
carryover takes it to 130F, it'll go back in at 500F for about 10
minutes for crusting.

How long should I anticipate it would take to achieve those
temperature targets?

Don't try to talk me out of this: I've done it this way before, and
it's come out fantastic. I'm just trying to figure out my cooking
times. I've historically just figured on about three hours, but
this is the biggest roast I've ever dealt with, and I need something
more like a time-per-pound figure.

I've done some web searching, and and have found some tables - but
they all seem to assume an initial hot oven (to "seal in the juices")
followed by a longer roast at 325F.

Oh, also: this is the first Xmas I've had a convection oven at my
disposal. Convection, or normal? Or does it matter?

Thanks for any info, and Happy Solstice to all.

--
Mark Shaw
"The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Edwin Pawlowski

"Mark Shaw" > wrote in message
> I've historically just figured on about three hours, but
> this is the biggest roast I've ever dealt with, and I need something
> more like a time-per-pound figure.

If three hours worked, figur about 20 to 30 minutes more.

..

> Oh, also: this is the first Xmas I've had a convection oven at my
> disposal. Convection, or normal? Or does it matter?

Convection will cook faster so use care if you try it. Rule of thumb is 25%
less time and 25 degrees cooler, but you are on the cool side already.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sheldon

Mark Shaw wrote:
> I have a 7 lb 10 oz standing rib roast (bone-in) which I intend
> to roast to an internal temperature of 118F in a 200F oven. After
> carryover takes it to 130F, it'll go back in at 500F for about 10
> minutes for crusting.
>
> How long should I anticipate it would take to achieve those
> temperature targets?
>
> Don't try to talk me out of this: I've done it this way before.

If you already know everything don't ask.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Mark Shaw

Edwin Pawlowski > wrote:
> "Mark Shaw" > wrote in message
> > I've historically just figured on about three hours, but
> > this is the biggest roast I've ever dealt with, and I need something
> > more like a time-per-pound figure.

> If three hours worked, figur about 20 to 30 minutes more.

That was for smaller roasts, though.

Well, it's not going to be getting into the oven before noon
anyway, so figuring 30 min/lb it should be done with the first-
stage cooking by 4PM. Time to achieve 130F via carryover might
be my only issue - but hey, nobody's eating till it's done,
right?

> > Oh, also: this is the first Xmas I've had a convection oven at my
> > disposal. Convection, or normal? Or does it matter?

> Convection will cook faster so use care if you try it. Rule of thumb is 25%
> less time and 25 degrees cooler, but you are on the cool side already.

I think I'll go the convection route, then. Thanks.

--
Mark Shaw moc TOD liamg TA wahsnm
"There must be security for all, or no one is secure. This does not mean
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Mark Shaw

Mark Shaw > wrote:
> I have a 7 lb 10 oz standing rib roast (bone-in) which I intend
> to roast to an internal temperature of 118F in a 200F oven. After
> carryover takes it to 130F, it'll go back in at 500F for about 10
> minutes for crusting.

> How long should I anticipate it would take to achieve those
> temperature targets?

Results: it took about 4 1/2 hours to come up to 118F, and
another hour for carryover to take it to 128F. I actually
left in in the hot oven for 15 minutes, and after a brief
rest it carved out to a very nice medium-rare.

So: about 45 min/lb for the initial roasting and carryover.
This was with the convection option.

Tip: if any of your guests prefer their beef medium, you
can bring it up easily and safely by heating their slices
gently in a skillet on a bed of lettuce. (Naturally, if
anyone requests well-done, you should just send them out
for hamburgers.)

--
Mark Shaw
"The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new
discoveries, is not 'Eureka!' but 'That's funny....'" - Isaac Asimov

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Wayne Boatwright

On Mon 26 Dec 2005 09:12:22a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Mark Shaw?

> Mark Shaw > wrote:
>> I have a 7 lb 10 oz standing rib roast (bone-in) which I intend
>> to roast to an internal temperature of 118F in a 200F oven. After
>> carryover takes it to 130F, it'll go back in at 500F for about 10
>> minutes for crusting.

>> How long should I anticipate it would take to achieve those
>> temperature targets?

> Results: it took about 4 1/2 hours to come up to 118F, and
> another hour for carryover to take it to 128F. I actually
> left in in the hot oven for 15 minutes, and after a brief
> rest it carved out to a very nice medium-rare.
>
> So: about 45 min/lb for the initial roasting and carryover.
> This was with the convection option.
>
> Tip: if any of your guests prefer their beef medium, you
> can bring it up easily and safely by heating their slices
> gently in a skillet on a bed of lettuce. (Naturally, if
> anyone requests well-done, you should just send them out
> for hamburgers.)

I don't like any meat cooked rare or medium-rare. Nor do I like it well
done. What would you call just pink throughout? Medium-well? I find that
it's still tender and juicy.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Mark Shaw

Wayne Boatwright > wrote:
> On Mon 26 Dec 2005 09:12:22a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Mark Shaw?
> > Mark Shaw > wrote:

> > Tip: if any of your guests prefer their beef medium, you
> > can bring it up easily and safely by heating their slices
> > gently in a skillet on a bed of lettuce. (Naturally, if
> > anyone requests well-done, you should just send them out
> > for hamburgers.)

> I don't like any meat cooked rare or medium-rare. Nor do I like it well
> done. What would you call just pink throughout? Medium-well? I find that
> it's still tender and juicy.

Depends on the cut. For a steak, I'd call that medium-rare;
for a rib roast I'd call it medium.

Medium-well is no pink at all but still juicy.

--
Mark Shaw
"Labor to keep alive in your breast that little spark of mnshaw@
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Wayne Boatwright

On Mon 26 Dec 2005 09:31:47a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Mark Shaw?

> Wayne Boatwright > wrote:
>> On Mon 26 Dec 2005 09:12:22a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Mark
>> Shaw?
>> > Mark Shaw > wrote:

>> > Tip: if any of your guests prefer their beef medium, you
>> > can bring it up easily and safely by heating their slices
>> > gently in a skillet on a bed of lettuce. (Naturally, if
>> > anyone requests well-done, you should just send them out for
>> > hamburgers.)

>> I don't like any meat cooked rare or medium-rare. Nor do I like it
>> well done. What would you call just pink throughout? Medium-well? I
>> find that it's still tender and juicy.

> Depends on the cut. For a steak, I'd call that medium-rare;
> for a rib roast I'd call it medium.
>
> Medium-well is no pink at all but still juicy.

Thanks, Mark.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Andy

Wayne Boatwright > wrote in
:

> I don't like any meat cooked rare or medium-rare. Nor do I like it
> well done. What would you call just pink throughout? Medium-well? I
> find that it's still tender and juicy.

Someday you'll stick a probe in the meat, stick a color card in a reader
and when the probe matches the reader, PRESTO!

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sheldon

Andy wrote:
> Wayne Boatwright > wrote in
> :
>
> > I don't like any meat cooked rare or medium-rare. Nor do I like it
> > well done. What would you call just pink throughout? Medium-well? I
> > find that it's still tender and juicy.
> >

> Someday you'll stick a probe in the meat, stick a color card in a reader
> and when the probe matches the reader, PRESTO!

ARBYS!

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Damsel in dis Dress

On 26 Dec 2005 17:22:57 +0100, Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

> I don't like any meat cooked rare or medium-rare. Nor do I like it well
> done. What would you call just pink throughout? Medium-well? I find that
> it's still tender and juicy.

I'd call it medium rare, but if you don't like that, go with medium.
Medium well would be way overcooked.

Crash only liked well done beef when we first got together. Now he's
ordering medium rare. I've been edjumacating him!

Carol, who'll actually go to rare if it's beef tenderloin
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Mark Shaw

Damsel in dis Dress > wrote:
> On 26 Dec 2005 17:22:57 +0100, Wayne Boatwright
> > wrote:

> > I don't like any meat cooked rare or medium-rare. Nor do I like it well
> > done. What would you call just pink throughout? Medium-well? I find that
> > it's still tender and juicy.

> I'd call it medium rare, but if you don't like that, go with medium.
> Medium well would be way overcooked.

> Crash only liked well done beef when we first got together. Now he's
> ordering medium rare. I've been edjumacating him!

> Carol, who'll actually go to rare if it's beef tenderloin

Heck, if the tenderloin is fresh and high-quality, I'll go
to raw. Nothing like tenderloin sashimi.

--
Mark Shaw moc TOD liamg TA wahsnm
"There must be security for all, or no one is secure. This does not mean
giving up any freedom, except the freedom to act irresponsibly."
- Klaatu
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Wayne Boatwright

On Mon 26 Dec 2005 02:35:16p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Damsel in
dis Dress?

> On 26 Dec 2005 17:22:57 +0100, Wayne Boatwright
> > wrote:
>
>> I don't like any meat cooked rare or medium-rare. Nor do I like it
>> well done. What would you call just pink throughout? Medium-well? I
>> find that it's still tender and juicy.

> I'd call it medium rare, but if you don't like that, go with medium.
> Medium well would be way overcooked.
>
> Crash only liked well done beef when we first got together. Now he's
> ordering medium rare. I've been edjumacating him!
>
> Carol, who'll actually go to rare if it's beef tenderloin

I grew up in a house of well-done beef eaters. I've graduated to medium,
but I doubt I'll ever go for anything more rare than that. Droplets of
blood make me lose my appetite. <g>

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Wayne Boatwright

On Mon 26 Dec 2005 03:06:50p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Mark Shaw?

> Damsel in dis Dress > wrote:
>> On 26 Dec 2005 17:22:57 +0100, Wayne Boatwright
>> > wrote:

>> > I don't like any meat cooked rare or medium-rare. Nor do I like it
>> > well done. What would you call just pink throughout? Medium-well?
>> > I find that it's still tender and juicy.

>> I'd call it medium rare, but if you don't like that, go with medium.
>> Medium well would be way overcooked.

>> Crash only liked well done beef when we first got together. Now he's
>> ordering medium rare. I've been edjumacating him!

>> Carol, who'll actually go to rare if it's beef tenderloin

> Heck, if the tenderloin is fresh and high-quality, I'll go
> to raw. Nothing like tenderloin sashimi.

Well, that would drive me away from the table. More for you! <g>

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Stark

In article >, Mark Shaw
> wrote:

> Mark Shaw > wrote:
> > I have a 7 lb 10 oz standing rib roast (bone-in) which I intend
> > to roast to an internal temperature of 118F in a 200F oven. After
> > carryover takes it to 130F, it'll go back in at 500F for about 10
> > minutes for crusting.

> > How long should I anticipate it would take to achieve those
> > temperature targets?

> Results: it took about 4 1/2 hours to come up to 118F, and
> another hour for carryover to take it to 128F. I actually
> left in in the hot oven for 15 minutes, and after a brief
> rest it carved out to a very nice medium-rare.
>
> So: about 45 min/lb for the initial roasting and carryover.
> This was with the convection option.

Hmmmm. 200F. That's my plate-warming temp. No room for the roast.
Guess I could just sit with the roast in my lap for a couple of TV
football games. But if you really found a slooooow-roast better than a
more expeditious one, I could find a way.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Mark Shaw

Stark > wrote:
> In article >, Mark Shaw
> > wrote:
> > > I have a 7 lb 10 oz standing rib roast (bone-in) which I intend
> > > to roast to an internal temperature of 118F in a 200F oven. After
> > > carryover takes it to 130F, it'll go back in at 500F for about 10
> > > minutes for crusting.

> > > How long should I anticipate it would take to achieve those
> > > temperature targets?

> > Results: it took about 4 1/2 hours to come up to 118F, and
> > another hour for carryover to take it to 128F. I actually
> > left in in the hot oven for 15 minutes, and after a brief
> > rest it carved out to a very nice medium-rare.
> >
> > So: about 45 min/lb for the initial roasting and carryover.
> > This was with the convection option.
> >

> Hmmmm. 200F. That's my plate-warming temp. No room for the roast.

Hah! My plates get warmed on my hood shelf under a heat lamp.

http://www.panix.com/~mshaw/images/k.../target48.html

> Guess I could just sit with the roast in my lap for a couple of TV
> football games. But if you really found a slooooow-roast better than a
> more expeditious one, I could find a way.

I've always prefered low-and-slow for beef. The connective
tissue gets rubbery at higher temps, and makes the meat tough.

--
Mark Shaw moc TOD liamg TA wahsnm
"All of my mistakes are giving me ideas." - Natalie Lileks
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Dan Abel

In article >,
Wayne Boatwright > wrote:

> On Mon 26 Dec 2005 02:35:16p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Damsel in
> dis Dress?

> I grew up in a house of well-done beef eaters. I've graduated to medium,
> but I doubt I'll ever go for anything more rare than that. Droplets of
> blood make me lose my appetite. <g>

We ate a lot of beef when I was a kid. It was always very well cooked.
It was very cheap beef, so it needed to be braised anyway.

--
Dan Abel

Petaluma, California, USA
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Daisy

On Sun, 25 Dec 2005 05:08:06 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski" >
wrote:

>"Mark Shaw" > wrote in message
>> I've historically just figured on about three hours, but
>> this is the biggest roast I've ever dealt with, and I need something
>> more like a time-per-pound figure.

>If three hours worked, figur about 20 to 30 minutes more.
>

>.
>>
>> Oh, also: this is the first Xmas I've had a convection oven at my
>> disposal. Convection, or normal? Or does it matter?

>Convection will cook faster so use care if you try it. Rule of thumb is 25%
>less time and 25 degrees cooler, but you are on the cool side already.

Did this for Christmas Dinner: 2kb (4 and a half pounds) scotch
fillet in the piece - cooked just right at 190 C for 1 and a half
hours. Lovely and red in the middle for the lovers of rare meat, and
more medium on the outside and ends for the rest. Perfect.

Daisy

Carthage demands an explanation for this insolence!
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Mark Shaw

Daisy > wrote:
> Did this for Christmas Dinner: 2kb (4 and a half pounds) scotch
> fillet in the piece - cooked just right at 190 C for 1 and a half
> hours. Lovely and red in the middle for the lovers of rare meat, and
> more medium on the outside and ends for the rest. Perfect.

What is a scotch fillet?

Thanks.

--
Mark Shaw
"The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new
discoveries, is not 'Eureka!' but 'That's funny....'" - Isaac Asimov
Posted to rec.food.cooking
sf

On Tue, 27 Dec 2005 17:30:13 -0800, Dan Abel wrote:

> In article >,
> Wayne Boatwright > wrote:
>
> > On Mon 26 Dec 2005 02:35:16p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Damsel in
> > dis Dress?

> > I grew up in a house of well-done beef eaters. I've graduated to medium,
> > but I doubt I'll ever go for anything more rare than that. Droplets of
> > blood make me lose my appetite. <g>

> We ate a lot of beef when I was a kid. It was always very well cooked.
> It was very cheap beef, so it needed to be braised anyway.

I grew up in a house full of beef eaters too, but all my mother
required was that the cow wasn't kicking when she carved it. I never
had pot roast unless I was asked over to a friend's house for dinner.