Posted to alt.food.wine
Emery Davis

Default Chateauneuf du Pape 1998

On Tue, 27 Dec 2005 10:21:03 +0100
Michael Pronay > wrote:

] "MaxMustermann" > wrote:
]
] > What do you guys about the above?
]
] What this sentence?
]

<g> He's outdone you Michael. You missed only one word (is)
whereas he's swallowed two: 'do' and 'think' I assume.

As an anglophone living in France I stand as always in awe of
your (meant widely) excellent command of written English.

Max. '98 is widely regarded as an excellent vintage in CdP.
The year was hot but clement enough for a large production.
The young wines sometimes reminded me of '90 when they
were young, with perhaps even more forward fruit. To my
tastes '90 was better but perhaps marginally so, neither
year holding so much promise as the marvelous '89.

Even in a good year quality of course varies by producer. If
you have some specific domains in mind I'm sure we'll be glad
to offer advice (if we have any.)

Many of the more imposing '98 CdPs will be in deep delta wave
sleep around now, in my view needing around 5 years to wake
up speaking in generalities. Of course this is not uniformly
true, and only tasting will tell the tale. We drank a pleasant
Roger Perrin from the vintage recently, several hours of
air was enough to get it to roll over and sit up.

-E

--
Emery Davis
You can reply to ecom