BOB

Default Baked Sweet potatoes, common in the south?

Katra wrote:
> In article >,
> Isaac Wingfield > wrote:

>>> More likely yams.

>> Nope. They're *called* yams in some part of the country, but they're
>> not; they're potatoes. Yams are not orange, and not sweet, and not
>> small. And mostly not available, except in Asian markets.
>>
>> Isaac

http://homecooking.about.com/library...y/aa112497.htm

A quote from the article in the link Katra provided above:

"The true yam is the tuber of a tropical vine (Dioscorea batatas) and is not
even distantly related to the sweet potato. Rarely found in US markets, the yam
is a popular vegetable in Latin American and Caribbean markets, with over 150
varieties available worldwide. Generally sweeter than than the sweet potato,
this tuber can grow over seven feet in length. The word yam comes from African
words njam, nyami, or djambi, meaning "to eat," and was first recorded in
America in 1676."

I guess they're *not* "More likely yams."

BOB