Siobhan Perricone

Default Baked Sweet potatoes, common in the south?

I was just wondering if baked sweet potatoes are a common side dish in
restaurants in the southern US.

We just ate at a Longhorn Steak House (it's new in Burlington, VT) for
lunch, it was nice enough. Decent ribeye that I didn't have to cook or
clean up after. Anyway, one of the side choices is baked sweet potatoe and
I wondered it that was a common thing in the south or an affectation.

--
Siobhan Perricone
The actions taken by the New Hampshire Episcopalians are an affront to
WhansaMi

>I was just wondering if baked sweet potatoes are a common side dish in
>restaurants in the southern US.
>
>We just ate at a Longhorn Steak House (it's new in Burlington, VT) for
>lunch, it was nice enough. Decent ribeye that I didn't have to cook or
>clean up after. Anyway, one of the side choices is baked sweet potatoe and
>I wondered it that was a common thing in the south or an affectation.

Oh, yeah. Baked sweet potatoes (with butter, cinnamon, and sugar) are very
common in the south.

Yum.

Sheila (born and raised a Tarheel).
Nancree

>Oh, yeah. Baked sweet potatoes (with butter, cinnamon, and sugar) are very
common in the south.
--------------------------------
I like baked sweet potatoes done this way. Before baking, oil the skin and
salt heavily with kosher salt. Bake til tender. Cut open, use butter and
salt. So good!

Wayne Boatwright

Siobhan Perricone > wrote in
news
> I was just wondering if baked sweet potatoes are a common side dish in
> restaurants in the southern US.
>
> We just ate at a Longhorn Steak House (it's new in Burlington, VT) for
> lunch, it was nice enough. Decent ribeye that I didn't have to cook or
> clean up after. Anyway, one of the side choices is baked sweet potatoe
> and I wondered it that was a common thing in the south or an
> affectation.
>
> --
> Siobhan Perricone

Roasted or baked sweet potatoes are, indeed, very common in the southern
US, but perhaps even more common in southern homes than in restaurants.
For many families, roasted sweet potatoes would be served at least weekly.
Years ago they were often roasted in the coals of the fireplace instead of
in an oven.

Wayne
PENMART01

>(WhansaMi) says:
>
>>I was just wondering if baked sweet potatoes are a common side dish in
>>restaurants in the southern US.
>>
>>We just ate at a Longhorn Steak House (it's new in Burlington, VT) for
>>lunch, it was nice enough. Decent ribeye that I didn't have to cook or
>>clean up after. Anyway, one of the side choices is baked sweet potatoe and
>>I wondered it that was a common thing in the south or an affectation.
>>

>Oh, yeah. Baked sweet potatoes (with butter, cinnamon, and sugar) are very
>common in the south.

More likely yams.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon
````````````

BOB

Katra wrote:
> In article >,
> Isaac Wingfield > wrote:

>>> More likely yams.

>> Nope. They're *called* yams in some part of the country, but they're
>> not; they're potatoes. Yams are not orange, and not sweet, and not
>> small. And mostly not available, except in Asian markets.
>>
>> Isaac

http://homecooking.about.com/library...y/aa112497.htm

A quote from the article in the link Katra provided above:

"The true yam is the tuber of a tropical vine (Dioscorea batatas) and is not
even distantly related to the sweet potato. Rarely found in US markets, the yam
is a popular vegetable in Latin American and Caribbean markets, with over 150
varieties available worldwide. Generally sweeter than than the sweet potato,
this tuber can grow over seven feet in length. The word yam comes from African
words njam, nyami, or djambi, meaning "to eat," and was first recorded in
America in 1676."

I guess they're *not* "More likely yams."

BOB

Katra

In article >,
" BOB" > wrote:

> Katra wrote:
> > In article >,
> > Isaac Wingfield > wrote:

> >> Nope. They're *called* yams in some part of the country, but they're
> >> not; they're potatoes. Yams are not orange, and not sweet, and not
> >> small. And mostly not available, except in Asian markets.
> >>
> >> Isaac

http://homecooking.about.com/library...y/aa112497.htm

> A quote from the article in the link Katra provided above:
>
> "The true yam is the tuber of a tropical vine (Dioscorea batatas) and is not
> even distantly related to the sweet potato. Rarely found in US markets, the
> yam
> is a popular vegetable in Latin American and Caribbean markets, with over 150
> varieties available worldwide. Generally sweeter than than the sweet potato,
> this tuber can grow over seven feet in length. The word yam comes from
> African
> words njam, nyami, or djambi, meaning "to eat," and was first recorded in
> America in 1676."
>
> I guess they're *not* "More likely yams."
>
> BOB

Great article huh? ;-)

K.

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

jmcquown

Siobhan Perricone wrote:
> I was just wondering if baked sweet potatoes are a common side dish in
> restaurants in the southern US.
>
> We just ate at a Longhorn Steak House (it's new in Burlington, VT) for
> lunch, it was nice enough. Decent ribeye that I didn't have to cook or
> clean up after. Anyway, one of the side choices is baked sweet
> potatoe and I wondered it that was a common thing in the south or an
> affectation.

Well, I live in the Southern U.S. and I often bake sweet potatoes as opposed
to regular baking potatoes and I'll tell you why. They are moist and tasty
without requiring a lot of butter, sour cream or other toppings to make them
taste good. I treat them as I would a regular spud; rubbed with a little
butter or oil, baked at a high temp for an hour. Split open and add just a
tad of butter, salt & pepper. Oh yum!

Jill

Bob (this one)

jmcquown wrote:

> Siobhan Perricone wrote:
>
>>I was just wondering if baked sweet potatoes are a common side dish in
>>restaurants in the southern US.
>>
>>We just ate at a Longhorn Steak House (it's new in Burlington, VT) for
>>lunch, it was nice enough. Decent ribeye that I didn't have to cook or
>>clean up after. Anyway, one of the side choices is baked sweet
>>potatoe and I wondered it that was a common thing in the south or an
>>affectation.

> Well, I live in the Southern U.S. and I often bake sweet potatoes as opposed
> to regular baking potatoes and I'll tell you why. They are moist and tasty
> without requiring a lot of butter, sour cream or other toppings to make them
> taste good. I treat them as I would a regular spud; rubbed with a little
> butter or oil, baked at a high temp for an hour. Split open and add just a
> tad of butter, salt & pepper. Oh yum!

In a couple of my restaurants, we *smoked* sweet potatoes. We
dry-smoked them in one, and pressure-smoked in another. The dry-smoker
was the same unit we used for catering jobs that called for BBQ. We
also had a commercial pressure smoker (Smokaroma, if anyone knows
them) that could do most of a case at once. Extravagantly wonderful.
Also did white potatoes. Grand.

Served them with too much butter. Heavenly.

Pastorio

Kajikit

Katra saw Sally selling seashells by the seashore and told us all
about it on Sun, 07 Mar 2004 01:37:32 -0600:

>In article >,
> " BOB" > wrote:
>
>> Katra wrote:

>> > http://homecooking.about.com/library...y/aa112497.htm

>> A quote from the article in the link Katra provided above:
>>
>> "The true yam is the tuber of a tropical vine (Dioscorea batatas) and is not
>> even distantly related to the sweet potato. Rarely found in US markets, the
>> yam
>> is a popular vegetable in Latin American and Caribbean markets, with over 150
>> varieties available worldwide. Generally sweeter than than the sweet potato,
>> this tuber can grow over seven feet in length. The word yam comes from
>> African
>> words njam, nyami, or djambi, meaning "to eat," and was first recorded in
>> America in 1676."
>>
>> I guess they're *not* "More likely yams."
>>
>> BOB

>Great article huh? ;-)

Interesting. Thanks for sharing Katra. I didn't know they were
different... I adore sweet potato I never put sugar, butter or
(ugh) marshmallows with it though - it's fine just by itself!
~Karen AKA Kajikit
Lover of shiny things...

Made as of 5 March 2004 - 36 cards, 22 SB pages (plus 2 small giftbooks), 35 decos

Visit my webpage: http://www.kajikitscorner.com
Katra

In article >,
Kajikit > wrote:

> Katra saw Sally selling seashells by the seashore and told us all
> about it on Sun, 07 Mar 2004 01:37:32 -0600:
>
> >In article >,

> >> A quote from the article in the link Katra provided above:
> >>
> >> "The true yam is the tuber of a tropical vine (Dioscorea batatas) and is
> >> not
> >> even distantly related to the sweet potato. Rarely found in US markets,
> >> the
> >> yam
> >> is a popular vegetable in Latin American and Caribbean markets, with over
> >> 150
> >> varieties available worldwide. Generally sweeter than than the sweet
> >> potato,
> >> this tuber can grow over seven feet in length. The word yam comes from
> >> African
> >> words njam, nyami, or djambi, meaning "to eat," and was first recorded in
> >> America in 1676."
> >>
> >> I guess they're *not* "More likely yams."
> >>
> >> BOB

> >Great article huh? ;-)
> >

> Interesting. Thanks for sharing Katra. I didn't know they were
> different... I adore sweet potato I never put sugar, butter or
> (ugh) marshmallows with it though - it's fine just by itself!
> ~Karen AKA Kajikit
> Lover of shiny things...

I knew there was a difference, but decided to google for it. <G>
You are most welcome.

I pressure cooked sweet potatoes for the first time this last
Thanksgiving. Bring up to pressure and turn to low for about 20 minutes,
then turn off. The peel falls right off and I just serve them with a
little sweet butter and let each person salt to taste.

Yummmmmmmmmmmm...... ;-d

Pressure cooking them is fast and easy, and makes no mess in the oven!
I'll be cooking them that way from now on.

K.

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

BOB

Katra wrote:
> In article >,
> " BOB" > wrote:
>

>> A quote from the article in the link Katra provided above:
>>
>> "The true yam is the tuber of a tropical vine (Dioscorea batatas) and is not
>> even distantly related to the sweet potato. Rarely found in US markets, the
>> yam
>> is a popular vegetable in Latin American and Caribbean markets, with over 150
>> varieties available worldwide. Generally sweeter than than the sweet potato,
>> this tuber can grow over seven feet in length. The word yam comes from
>> African
>> words njam, nyami, or djambi, meaning "to eat," and was first recorded in
>> America in 1676."
>>
>> I guess they're *not* "More likely yams."
>>
>> BOB

> Great article huh? ;-)
>
> K.

Yes. I knew that yams and sweet potatos were different, but didn't realize that
they were unrelated. I guess it's true, you *can* learn something new every
day. '-)

BOB

Louis Cohen

I don't know about the South, but here on Thanksgiving, they go into the BBQ
with the turkey when there is about an hour to go.

Or, slice the raw sweet potatoes into large steak-house type fries, brush
with olive oil, salt, pepper, and garlic, and roast at 450-500° in the oven,
about 30 minutes, turning them halfway through.

----
Louis Cohen
Living la vida loca at N37° 43' 7.9" W122° 8' 42.8"

"Siobhan Perricone" > wrote in message
news
> I was just wondering if baked sweet potatoes are a common side dish in
> restaurants in the southern US.
>
> We just ate at a Longhorn Steak House (it's new in Burlington, VT) for
> lunch, it was nice enough. Decent ribeye that I didn't have to cook or
> clean up after. Anyway, one of the side choices is baked sweet potatoe and
> I wondered it that was a common thing in the south or an affectation.
>
> --
> Siobhan Perricone
> The actions taken by the New Hampshire Episcopalians are an affront to
> Christians everywhere. I am just thankful that the church's founder, Henry
> VIII, and his wife Catherine of Aragon, his wife Anne Boleyn, his wife
Jane
> Seymour, his wife Anne of Cleves, his wife Catherine Howard and his wife
> Catherine Parr are no longer here to suffer through this assault on our
> "traditional Christian marriage."
> - Owen Keavney

Pan Ohco

On Sat, 06 Mar 2004 18:19:48 -0500, Siobhan Perricone
> wrote:

>I was just wondering if baked sweet potatoes are a common side dish in
>restaurants in the southern US.
>
>We just ate at a Longhorn Steak House (it's new in Burlington, VT) for
>lunch, it was nice enough. Decent ribeye that I didn't have to cook or
>clean up after. Anyway, one of the side choices is baked sweet potatoe and
>I wondered it that was a common thing in the south or an affectation.

I don't eat out as much as I did, before retirement, but I would not
say that sweet potatoes were a common side dish. But it would be more
common in a restaurant that advertised it self as a "Country Cooking"
or "Down home cooking" place.

Pan Ohco
limey

"Louis Cohen" wrote in message

> I don't know about the South, but here on Thanksgiving, they go into the

BBQ
> with the turkey when there is about an hour to go.
>
> Or, slice the raw sweet potatoes into large steak-house type fries, brush
> with olive oil, salt, pepper, and garlic, and roast at 450-500° in the

oven,
> about 30 minutes, turning them halfway through.

> Louis Cohen

If you're in a hurry, sweet potatoes microwave pretty well. I turn them
over and around every few minutes for about 12 minutes, then wrap them in
foil for about five minutes. Of course, the skins aren't crisp and timing
depends on the size of the potato.

I like the sound of your "steak fries", Louis. I must try them soon.

Dora

PENMART01

>Katra writes:

>over

>in

>> >Great article huh? ;-)

That article is misleading. There exist many hundreds of varieties of yam. If
one happens to live in the south they will find sweet potatoes at their local
markets but only when in season, the rest of the US almost always never sells
sweet potatoes, they sell yams, even at Thanksgiving... they are imported, but
so what. Even the canned version is yams. It's nigh impossible to see or
taste any difference between sweet potato and it's counterpart type yam. Yam
is plentiful all year and has longer shelf life than sweet potato. The markets
here in the northeast sell yams all year, not sweet potatos.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon
````````````

Katra

In article >,
Wayne Boatwright > wrote:

> Katra > wrote in
> :

<snipped>

> > I knew there was a difference, but decided to google for it. <G>
> > You are most welcome.
> >
> > I pressure cooked sweet potatoes for the first time this last
> > Thanksgiving. Bring up to pressure and turn to low for about 20
> > minutes, then turn off. The peel falls right off and I just serve them
> > with a little sweet butter and let each person salt to taste.
> >
> > Yummmmmmmmmmmm...... ;-d
> >
> > Pressure cooking them is fast and easy, and makes no mess in the oven!
> > I'll be cooking them that way from now on.
> >
> > K.

> Certainly nothing wrong with that method and it is definitely one of the
> quickest way to prepare them.
>
> That said, however, I much prefer long slow baking, say at 300-325
> degrees F. for 2 hours or so, which allows the skins to brown and the
> natural sugars to beging to caramelize. The flavor is unbeatable. I
> even bake them this way when I'm going to use the sweet potatoes mashed
> for a pie filling.
>
> Wayne

True... ;-)
If I was baking a turkey, I used to do them that way too but wrapped in
foil.

I just got tired of the sugars oozing out and making a burnt mess. :-P
I had to start putting them on a baking sheet to keep the mess off the
bottom of my oven.

Have you tried pressuring? I like the flavor ok. Pressuring can
concentrate flavors. I also cook artichokes in the pressure cooker with
a time of 15 minutes. I like the hearts to be ever so slightly crunchy.

K.

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

Wayne Boatwright

Katra > wrote in
:

> In article >,
> Wayne Boatwright > wrote:
>
>> Katra > wrote in
>> :

> <snipped>
>> >
>> > I knew there was a difference, but decided to google for it. <G>
>> > You are most welcome.
>> >
>> > I pressure cooked sweet potatoes for the first time this last
>> > Thanksgiving. Bring up to pressure and turn to low for about 20
>> > minutes, then turn off. The peel falls right off and I just serve
>> > them with a little sweet butter and let each person salt to taste.
>> >
>> > Yummmmmmmmmmmm...... ;-d
>> >
>> > Pressure cooking them is fast and easy, and makes no mess in the
>> > oven! I'll be cooking them that way from now on.
>> >
>> > K.

>> Certainly nothing wrong with that method and it is definitely one of
>> the quickest way to prepare them.
>>
>> That said, however, I much prefer long slow baking, say at 300-325
>> degrees F. for 2 hours or so, which allows the skins to brown and the
>> natural sugars to beging to caramelize. The flavor is unbeatable. I
>> even bake them this way when I'm going to use the sweet potatoes
>> mashed for a pie filling.
>>
>> Wayne

> True... ;-)
> If I was baking a turkey, I used to do them that way too but wrapped
> in foil.
>
> I just got tired of the sugars oozing out and making a burnt mess. :-P
> I had to start putting them on a baking sheet to keep the mess off the
> bottom of my oven.
>
> Have you tried pressuring? I like the flavor ok. Pressuring can
> concentrate flavors. I also cook artichokes in the pressure cooker
> with a time of 15 minutes. I like the hearts to be ever so slightly
> crunchy.
>
> K.

I hate to admit it, but I severely underuse my pressure cooker. As to
the mess from the sweet potatoes, I grease them before baking and put
them on baking parchment in a 9 x 9 or 9 x 13 pan. The mess I throw
away.

I should try the pressure cooker for artichoke hearts. Thanks for the
timing. I do use it when I'm in a hurry for soups or a potroast. It's
large enough, too, if I want to use it for canning in pint jars.

Wayne

Charles Gifford

"Katra" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> Isaac Wingfield > wrote:

> > Nope. They're *called* yams in some part of the country, but they're
> > not; they're potatoes. Yams are not orange, and not sweet, and not
> > small. And mostly not available, except in Asian markets.
> >
> > Isaac

> http://homecooking.about.com/library...y/aa112497.htm

What is not clear from the article, is hinted at by Isaac. A certain variety
of sweet potato is called a yam. This is because, when this new variety of
sweet potato was developed, the marketers wanted to make it seem different
from the sweet potatoes currently on the market. They came up with the name
yam. While this variety of sweet potato is not a true yam, it can be
properly called a yam - or if you prefer, yam as a shortcut for yam sweet
potato. On the other hand, one does not call a garnet sweet potato a garnet.
Either way the marketing folks did a good job and this type of sweet potato
is well established as a yam.

Charlie

SportKite1

>From: Ben De Clue

>In Florida is sure is.

You got that right. I sell twice as many small garnet yams than white potatoes
at my store in the greater Tampa area. People bake them and eat them plain or
with a little butter.

Ellen

Nancree

>You got that right. I sell twice as many small garnet yams than white
>potatoes
>at my store in the greater Tampa area. People bake them and eat them plain or
>with a little butter.

====================
I like my bake sweet potatoes like this; wash the skin, dry, and heavily salt
it. Bake til soft. Cut open, and eat with butter and more salt, and do eat the
crisp skin!

Siobhan Perricone > wrote:
> I was just wondering if baked sweet potatoes are a common side dish in
> restaurants in the southern US.

> We just ate at a Longhorn Steak House (it's new in Burlington, VT) for
> lunch, it was nice enough. Decent ribeye that I didn't have to cook or
> clean up after. Anyway, one of the side choices is baked sweet potatoe and
> I wondered it that was a common thing in the south or an affectation.

Yes. Baked sweet potatoes are common in the south; at least that's the way
it seemed when I was in Florida a couple of years ago.

Katra > wrote:

> Pressure cooking them is fast and easy, and makes no mess in the oven!
> I'll be cooking them that way from now on.

I have never had a mess in the oven when I bake sweet potatoes. I
don't do that often, but when I do, I just poke a few holes in the
skin and bake just like regular potatoes; right on the middle grill.