Posted to alt.food.diabetic
MaryL

Default Snack Foods

"TaniO" > wrote in message
thlink.net...
> On Sun, 25 Dec 2005 21:26:51 -0500, MaryL wrote
> (in message <MxIrf.11193$9G.7969@dukeread10>):
>

>> "Rich" > wrote in message
>>> What eaving TV smack food is good.
>>> Small thin Pretzels? Penut Butter?
>>>

>> I often eat almonds (raw, unsalted) and some low-fat cheese. One of my
>> favorites is a bowl of fresh strawberries and blueberries with some plain
>> nonfat yogurt. This may sound strange, but I also snack on large
>> quantities
>> of raw cauliflower. It has a "nutty" taste and texture when I just break
>> off small segments and eat while watching TV. As to peanut butter, that
>> is
>> a rarity, but I will occasionally have peanut butter on Ezekiel toast (a
>> flourless bread made from sprouted grains). But pretzels? Never! They
>> were a favorite in my pre-diabetes day, but now I *never* eat *any*
>> flour,
>> rice, pasta, potatoes, or added sugar (but I do obviously get sugar from
>> natural sources, such as fruit).

> Like Julie, I have pretzels and peanut butter very
> frequently, but can't manage most fruits. i can eat
> small amounts of potato, rice and pasta. Snacks have
> to be individually worked out, I think.
>
> TaniO
>

>> MaryL

Yes, I think you're right that we need to individualize. For example, I can
eat old-fashioned oatmeal (and have a bowl almost every morning, with a
handful of fresh strawberries) and I can enjoy quite a lot of fruit,
especially berries. However, I avoid flour like the plague. My last
attempt was when I had a single slice of Oroweat whole wheat bread, and it
caused a major spike. If I avoid the "white stuff," I can keep my glucose
under control (averaging about 98) and have not needed any medication since
March of last year.

MaryL