Wayne Boatwright

Default Baked Sweet potatoes, common in the south?

Siobhan Perricone > wrote in
news
> I was just wondering if baked sweet potatoes are a common side dish in
> restaurants in the southern US.
>
> We just ate at a Longhorn Steak House (it's new in Burlington, VT) for
> lunch, it was nice enough. Decent ribeye that I didn't have to cook or
> clean up after. Anyway, one of the side choices is baked sweet potatoe
> and I wondered it that was a common thing in the south or an
> affectation.
>
> --
> Siobhan Perricone

Roasted or baked sweet potatoes are, indeed, very common in the southern
US, but perhaps even more common in southern homes than in restaurants.
For many families, roasted sweet potatoes would be served at least weekly.
Years ago they were often roasted in the coals of the fireplace instead of
in an oven.

Wayne