Posted to rec.food.cooking
Mark Shaw

Default Beef roasting time

Edwin Pawlowski > wrote:
> "Mark Shaw" > wrote in message
> > I've historically just figured on about three hours, but
> > this is the biggest roast I've ever dealt with, and I need something
> > more like a time-per-pound figure.

> If three hours worked, figur about 20 to 30 minutes more.

That was for smaller roasts, though.

Well, it's not going to be getting into the oven before noon
anyway, so figuring 30 min/lb it should be done with the first-
stage cooking by 4PM. Time to achieve 130F via carryover might
be my only issue - but hey, nobody's eating till it's done,
right?

> > Oh, also: this is the first Xmas I've had a convection oven at my
> > disposal. Convection, or normal? Or does it matter?

> Convection will cook faster so use care if you try it. Rule of thumb is 25%
> less time and 25 degrees cooler, but you are on the cool side already.

I think I'll go the convection route, then. Thanks.

--
Mark Shaw moc TOD liamg TA wahsnm
"There must be security for all, or no one is secure. This does not mean