Tex Mexican

Default Tell me about REFRIED BEANS

"<RJ>" > wrote in message

> That mound of brick-colored mush that appears
> on my plate in Mexican restaurants......
>
> I understand it's cooked, mashed beans
> with spices, and sauteed onions mixed in.
>
> But why lard ?
> Why is it "fried".... or re-fried ?
> ( when would it be re-fried ? )
>
> Do either of these enhance the taste ?
> It's not like they're making fried bean patties.
>
> I've tasted ( Old El Paso ) refried beans,
> both with and without the lard.....
> I couldn't tell the difference in taste.

Frijole's Refritas means beans now fried.
Beans are made in bulk by stewing and are
left on the stove uncovered for days.
When you want to eat some, you heat some lard
in a frying pan till smoking and add some beans.
1/2 cup lard to cook six cups of stewed beans is typical.
Heat till boiling and stir, scraping pan bottom, for 5 minutes.
This kills any bacteria present and reduces the beans
to the "mush" you refer to.
Really good now fried beans are made when the stewed beans
are just starting to get sour in the pot.