Posted to rec.food.cooking
Peter Aitken

Default Source for carbon steel knives

"Dee Randall" > wrote in message

> "David" > wrote in message
>> Does anyone know where I can get some carbon steel kitchen knives? I
>> have
>> one by Sabatier and I would like to get some more. I have tried Google
>> but
>> all I seem to get is "high carbon steel knives" which is not the same
>> thing.
>> I am in Canada so I would prefer a Canadian source so that I don't have
>> deal with customs.
>> Thanks, David
>>

> David, is high carbon steel made with stainless, or just a different
> process from carbon steel. If you know.
> Thanks,
> Dee Dee

Carbon steel is the "old" kind of knife. The metal is slightly softer than
the stainless used in modern high quality knives so it is quicker to take an
edge, and the edge is slightly better - although the difference is pretty
subtle. However they are not stainless and will rust and blacken with use.

--
Peter Aitken