Posted to rec.food.cooking
wff_ng_7

Default Source for carbon steel knives

"Dave Smith" > wrote:
> Sorry, but high carbon steel is not stainless steel. It is a very strong
> but
> brittle and it can be sharpened to a very keen edge. Stainless steel has
> chromium and nickel added to it to make it resistant to corrosion.

In the kitchen knife industry, there is a widely used phrase called "high
carbon stainless". I think this is what the original poster was referring
to. He wanted the old fashioned rustable "carbon steel", not the "high
carbon stainless". I don't know if the terminology the kitchen knife
manufacturers use is technically "wrong", but it is widely used and
generally understood.

--
( #wff_ng_7# at #verizon# period #net# )