Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking
CK

Default Frijoles con Puerco, Estilo Yucateco

Rich McCormack wrote:
> CK wrote:
>
> > This recipe was made by the Mayans with wild boar which is still hunted
> > in the interior of Quintana Roo, but cooks now use the domestic pig for
> > this tasty soup or hearty main course...

> Perhaps you meant javelina rather than wild boar. Javelina are
> native to North and South America. They are similar to wild boar,
> but because of anatomical differences they are classified in a family
> of their own, the Tayassuidae Family. Wild boar are members of the
> Suidae Family and are native to Europe, Asia and Africa.

I meant "wild boar". Can you say for certain that no Mayan ever made
Frijoles con Puerco using wild boar meat?

Who's to say when the first wild boar was released from captivity for
the pleasure of hunters, or when the first wild boar escaped its pen?
When that farmer down south saw "Hogzilla", he knew what to do. He shot
it. It turned out to be part wild boar and part domestic hog.

The boars have probably been running loose for nearly 500 years now.
The Mayans are still living in Mexico and Central America too.

I suppose the Mayans may have also made "Frijoles con Perro", using a
fat dog instead of a javelina, wild boar, or domestic pig, but you
would have been offended.

What do you have to say about the recipe itself, beyond arguing with
the style and the introduction? Does it sound like a main course dish
you'd want to prepare for guests, or would you want to stick with a
combination of antojitos?

Can you improve on the recipe, or do you just want to snipe around the
periphery of the thing?