Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking
CK

Default Frijoles con Puerco, Estilo Yucateco

Pork and beans? This is NOT your boring, overly sweet and sticky
Campbell's pork and beans that comes in a can with a greasy chunk of
limp pork in every can. This is a main course.

Yucatecan cuisine evolved differently from that of the interior of
Mexico. Travel from Yucatan to Mexico City was so difficult, it was
easier for the criollos to travel to Cuba or Spain for cultural and
culinary purposes, and Europeans dared not penetrate the jungles of
Quintana Roo until the 1930's. But traditional Mayan cooking can also
be found
in the cities of Yucatan and Quintana Roo today, you just have to know
where to look.

Every Monday, you'll find this Mayan version of pork and beans
simmering on stoves all across the Yucatan. It's served at home and in
small front room restaurants, called cocinas economicas (inexpensive
kitchens), run by housewives supplementing their income by serving
home-cooked food for the mid-day enjoyment of the local working folks
and adventurous gringos.

This recipe was made by the Mayans with wild boar which is still hunted
in the interior of Quintana Roo, but cooks now use the domestic pig for
this tasty soup or hearty main course, depending on how you choose to
present it. This recipe should serve about six persons.

2 cups dried black beans sorted and rinsed
14 cups water
1 tbsp lard or oil
½ onion
2 pounds of boneless pork, cut into chunks
2 sprigs of epazote
3-5 serrano chiles
salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Salsa de tomate verde (optional)

Some recipes suggest adding two cubes of commercial chicken bullion.
The MSG in the bullion will temporarily enhance the flavor so the
diners devour whatever is on their plates and crave more.

Place beans in a large pot, add 10 cups of water, lard and onion, then
boil for 5 minutes.
Cook covered over medium heat for 1 hour.
Add pork, remaining water, epazote and chiles. Cook covered over medium
heat for another hour. If too much water cooks off, add up to 2 more
cups of hot water.
Add the salt and cook for 30 minutes. Correct the seasonings.

The pork and beans can be ladled out of the pot and arranged on a warm
platter and served on plates and the soup can be strained and served in
bowls.

When the soup is almost ready, prepare the traditional garnishes -
finely chopped radishes, onion, cilantro, lime wedges and salsa de
tomate verde and put into small serving bowls.

Serve the soup piping hot and allow your guests to add their own
garnishes once they are seated at the table.

Salsa de tomate verde
3 cups water
2-½ tsps salt
2 cloves garlic
4 serrano chilies
1 pound green tomatoes (tomatillos), husks removed
½ cup loosely packed cilantro
¼ cup chopped onion

Bring water and 1 tsp. of the salt to boil in a saucepan. Add the
garlic, chiles and tomates verdes and simmer uncovered for 8 - 10
minutes.
Transfer garlic, chiles, tomatoes and liquid to a blender. Add the
cilantro and remaining salt and purée briefly.
Transfer to a bowl. Stir in the onion and let the sauce cool before
serving. Other recipes suggest heating the salsa de tomate verde and
pouring it over the meat and beans while it's hot. The extra salsa
can be refrigerated for up to 3 days.

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking
Charles Gifford

"CK" > wrote in message
oups.com...
"Pork and beans? This is NOT your boring, overly sweet and sticky
Campbell's pork and beans that comes in a can with a greasy chunk of
limp pork in every can. This is a main course."
_____________________

Some of us actually like the type of pork and beans that you refer to,
although in my case I prefer another brand. Your opinion may be interesting
in a different discussion, but your general codemnation of a food that many
others enjoy is a little presumptious.
______________________

CK also wrote:

"This recipe was made by the Mayans with wild boar which is still hunted
in the interior of Quintana Roo, <snip>"
______________________

This is impossible as "wild boar", meaning pork, pig, or the family Suidae,
are not native to the Americas.

Charlie

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking
CK

Charles Gifford wrote:
> "CK" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> "Pork and beans? This is NOT your boring, overly sweet and sticky
> Campbell's pork and beans that comes in a can with a greasy chunk of
> limp pork in every can. This is a main course."
> _____________________
>
> Some of us actually like the type of pork and beans that you refer to,
> although in my case I prefer another brand. Your opinion may be interesting
> in a different discussion, but your general codemnation of a food that many
> others enjoy is a little presumptious.

What does your analyst have to say about your need to argue over
trivial matters with strangers, grabbing onto stylistic points and
taking them as personal affronts?

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking
ensenadajim

On 16 Dec 2005 19:56:31 -0800, "CK" > wrote:

>Charles Gifford wrote:
>> "CK" > wrote in message
>> oups.com...
>> "Pork and beans? This is NOT your boring, overly sweet and sticky
>> Campbell's pork and beans that comes in a can with a greasy chunk of
>> limp pork in every can. This is a main course."
>> _____________________
>>
>> Some of us actually like the type of pork and beans that you refer to,
>> although in my case I prefer another brand. Your opinion may be interesting
>> in a different discussion, but your general codemnation of a food that many
>> others enjoy is a little presumptious.

>What does your analyst have to say about your need to argue over
>trivial matters with strangers, grabbing onto stylistic points and
>taking them as personal affronts?

And what of yours about accuracy?

jim

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking
Rich McCormack

CK wrote:

> This recipe was made by the Mayans with wild boar which is still hunted
> in the interior of Quintana Roo, but cooks now use the domestic pig for
> this tasty soup or hearty main course...

Perhaps you meant javelina rather than wild boar. Javelina are
native to North and South America. They are similar to wild boar,
but because of anatomical differences they are classified in a family
of their own, the Tayassuidae Family. Wild boar are members of the
Suidae Family and are native to Europe, Asia and Africa.

Rich

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking
CK

ensenadajim wrote:

> >What does your analyst have to say about your need to argue over
> >trivial matters with strangers, grabbing onto stylistic points and
> >taking them as personal affronts?

> And what of yours about accuracy?

Was it Keats or Shelley who said that excessive concern for consistency
was a form of insanity? The same thing could be said for excessive
concern for "accuracy".

How about if you take the time to occasionally post an interesting
recipe for some Mexican dish that isn't a taco, tamale, enchilada, or
burrito?

If this were a NG about *American* food, I suppose I would be seeing
endless arguments about the origins and authenticity of the peanut
butter and jelly sandwich and get the impression that the only
alternatives were hamburgers, hotdogs, and baloney sandwiches.

You need not go ballistic on my use of the term "American", either.
Just understand that when I say "American", I am referring to the
inhabitants of the United States of America, not the inhabitants of
North and South America.

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking
CK

Rich McCormack wrote:
> CK wrote:
>
> > This recipe was made by the Mayans with wild boar which is still hunted
> > in the interior of Quintana Roo, but cooks now use the domestic pig for
> > this tasty soup or hearty main course...

> Perhaps you meant javelina rather than wild boar. Javelina are
> native to North and South America. They are similar to wild boar,
> but because of anatomical differences they are classified in a family
> of their own, the Tayassuidae Family. Wild boar are members of the
> Suidae Family and are native to Europe, Asia and Africa.

I meant "wild boar". Can you say for certain that no Mayan ever made
Frijoles con Puerco using wild boar meat?

Who's to say when the first wild boar was released from captivity for
the pleasure of hunters, or when the first wild boar escaped its pen?
When that farmer down south saw "Hogzilla", he knew what to do. He shot
it. It turned out to be part wild boar and part domestic hog.

The boars have probably been running loose for nearly 500 years now.
The Mayans are still living in Mexico and Central America too.

I suppose the Mayans may have also made "Frijoles con Perro", using a
fat dog instead of a javelina, wild boar, or domestic pig, but you
would have been offended.

What do you have to say about the recipe itself, beyond arguing with
the style and the introduction? Does it sound like a main course dish
you'd want to prepare for guests, or would you want to stick with a
combination of antojitos?

Can you improve on the recipe, or do you just want to snipe around the
periphery of the thing?

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking
Charles Gifford

"CK" > wrote >

> What does your analyst have to say about your need to argue over
> trivial matters with strangers, grabbing onto stylistic points and
> taking them as personal affronts?

I haven't actually discussed this particular thing with my analyst. You
consider that correcting an error in a _discussion_ group to be arguing?
Interesting. You consider that any factual error you make is only
"stylistic"? Also interesting. Now about the stranger problem.....you are
indeed strange. I don't necessarily think that strangeness is a bad thing.
It is a matter of how that strangeness presents it's character to others. I
have been posting to this group for many years. In that time I have seen
many a strange character post here including myself. Most have learned how
to be taken seriously and not to get their hackles up over any perceived
slight. Others have not and eventually unsubscribed from the group.

It is obvious that you are not an expert in all things. Why not try
listening and learning instead of pontificating?

Charlie

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking
CK

Charles Gifford wrote:

> It is obvious that you are not an expert in all things. Why not try
> listening and learning instead of pontificating?

A "pontifex" is a person who builds bridges, not a demolitions expert.
Anybody who posts a recipe, no matter what the origin is trying to
share and build bridges of communication.

I've noticed several posters actual posting RECIPES, but they always
seem to get run off by the argumentative trolls who want to argue about
nothing but tacos and burritos and whether an enchilada is an enchilada
if it's folded instead of rolled.

This newsgroup is getting nowhere. We might as well start a new NG and
call it
"Taco Talk" or "The Mysterious Origin Of The Burrito".

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking
Rich McCormack

CK wrote:

> Rich McCormack wrote:
>
>>CK wrote:
>>

>>>This recipe was made by the Mayans with wild boar which is still hunted
>>>in the interior of Quintana Roo, but cooks now use the domestic pig for
>>>this tasty soup or hearty main course...

>>Perhaps you meant javelina rather than wild boar. Javelina are
>>native to North and South America. They are similar to wild boar,
>>but because of anatomical differences they are classified in a family
>>of their own, the Tayassuidae Family. Wild boar are members of the
>>Suidae Family and are native to Europe, Asia and Africa.

> I meant "wild boar". Can you say for certain that no Mayan ever made
> Frijoles con Puerco using wild boar meat?
>
> Who's to say when the first wild boar was released from captivity for
> the pleasure of hunters, or when the first wild boar escaped its pen?
> When that farmer down south saw "Hogzilla", he knew what to do. He shot
> it. It turned out to be part wild boar and part domestic hog.
>
> The boars have probably been running loose for nearly 500 years now.
> The Mayans are still living in Mexico and Central America too.

Perhaps you should have more clearly qualified your statements to
indicate you meant Post-Columbian Mayans and their modern descendants.
"This recipe was made by the Mayans" and "This recipe was made by
the Mayans with wild boar which is still hunted in the interior of
Quintana Roo" seemed to refer to the distant past and indicate you
were writing of the Pre-Columbian inhabitants of the Yucatan
peninsula. At least it did to me, sorry if I misunderstood your
intent.

> I suppose the Mayans may have also made "Frijoles con Perro", using a
> fat dog instead of a javelina, wild boar, or domestic pig, but you
> would have been offended.
>
> What do you have to say about the recipe itself, beyond arguing with
> the style and the introduction? Does it sound like a main course dish
> you'd want to prepare for guests, or would you want to stick with a
> combination of antojitos?

I'm not a great fan of canned pork and beans and I prefer black beans
over pintos and heartier fare over snacks when I sit down to a meal.
The recipe sounds quite tasty to me...hope you don't mind I saved it
for future reference.

> Can you improve on the recipe, or do you just want to snipe around the
> periphery of the thing?

Hard to say until I tried it. I would probably sauté the onions
briefly in the lard before adding the water and beans. I would
NOT add anything containing MSG as my wife suffers certain allergic
reactions to MSG I'll not mention in detail only to say it would bring
me nothing but grief. If too much water cooked off, I'd add chicken
broth rather than water. The recipe doesn't mention any preparation
of the serrano chiles, but I assume they would be chopped. When I use
serranos, I like to thinly slice them crosswise into rounds rather
than chop. I also think I would add some chopped ripe jalapeno or
other fresh red chile.

Rich

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking
CK

Rich McCormack wrote:

> Perhaps you should have more clearly qualified your statements to
> indicate you meant Post-Columbian Mayans and their modern descendants.
> "This recipe was made by the Mayans" and "This recipe was made by
> the Mayans with wild boar which is still hunted in the interior of
> Quintana Roo" seemed to refer to the distant past and indicate you
> were writing of the Pre-Columbian inhabitants of the Yucatan
> peninsula. At least it did to me, sorry if I misunderstood your
> intent.

If I ever translate a pre-Columbian Mayan recipe from the glyphs in the
Dresden Codex
or on a funerary stele, I will publish it in a peer-reviewed journal of
archaeology, not on Usenet. ;-)

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking
Rich McCormack

CK wrote:

> If I ever translate a pre-Columbian Mayan recipe from the glyphs in the
> Dresden Codex
> or on a funerary stele, I will publish it in a peer-reviewed journal of
> archaeology, not on Usenet. ;-)

Point considered and conceded. So...what did you think about
my suggestions for the post-Columbian Mayan recipe you posted?

Rich
Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking
CK

Rich McCormack wrote:
> So...what did you think about
> my suggestions for the post-Columbian Mayan recipe you posted?

Yes, the chicken broth sounds like a good idea, and you could use a
spicier or less spicy chile, if you know that your guests can take the
"heat". You could cook the main dish with a milder chile, and put out
two bowls of hotter salsas for them, warning them which was which and
how to scour capsaicin off their tongue with tortilla and salt.

A very hot habanero salsa is used in Yucatan. It's called Ixni-Pec
(schnee-peck), or "dog snout" chile, because it will make you sweat,
your nose will run and your eyes may water.

1/4 cup chopped onion
1 chopped yellow habanero pepper
1/4 cup chopped tomato
8 ounces of orange juice
4 ounces of lime juice
1/2 teaspoon of salt to pull the juices out of the pepper

An even hotter sauce can be made with toasted green habaneros and the
same ingredients.

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking
CK

Rich McCormack wrote:
> So...what did you think about
> my suggestions for the post-Columbian Mayan recipe you posted?

Yes, the chicken broth sounds like a good idea, and you could use a
spicier or less spicy chile, if you know that your guests can take the
"heat". You could cook the main dish with a milder chile, and put out
two bowls of hotter salsas for them, warning them which was which and
how to scour capsaicin off their tongue with tortilla and salt.

A very hot habanero salsa is used in Yucatan. It's called Ixni-Pec
(schnee-peck), or "dog snout" chile, because it will make you sweat,
your nose will run and your eyes may water.

1/4 cup chopped onion
1 chopped yellow habanero pepper
1/4 cup chopped tomato
8 ounces of orange juice
4 ounces of lime juice
1/2 teaspoon of salt to pull the juices out of the pepper

An even hotter sauce can be made with toasted green habaneros and the
same ingredients.

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking
Charles Gifford

"CK" > wrote

<snip>
> This newsgroup is getting nowhere. We might as well start a new NG and
> call it
> "Taco Talk" or "The Mysterious Origin Of The Burrito".

Those of us who have subscribed to this newsgroup for several years have
heard this before. If you dislike the group I suggest that you leave and
start another one. The idea that the group should change to suit your idea
of what it should be is, again, presumptuous.

Charlie