Posted to rec.food.cooking
Damsel in dis Dress

Default Ham Fried Rice?: (was: Serial ham)

On Tue, 13 Dec 2005 00:53:26 -0800, Denny Wheeler
> wrote:

> On Sun, 11 Dec 2005 19:47:58 -0600, Damsel in dis Dress
> > wrote:
>
> >Ham fried rice. Unbelievably delicious! Recipe available.

> Please? Oh, and assume I know *nothing* about making any form of
> fried rice. Because that's the case.
>
> I definitely need to know if I need long-grain rice for that. I
> basically have only Calrose and Jasmine rices on hand. And of course
> a rice cooker.

I use long grain rice. I'm not sure if it's crucial or not, it's just
what I have on hand most of the time. Hopefully, someone will chime
in. This recipe is based on impulse cooking. If you use a 1:1 ratio
of rice to water, it'll be quite firm, and can be used right away. If
you make it in your rice cooker, do it the day before, and refrigerate
the rice.

The recipe is for chicken fried rice. Just substitute ham for the
chicken. It's nice with some fresh or frozen peas, too. If they're
frozen, thaw them first. Toss them in at the end with the green onion
(scallions) and bean sprouts. I enjoy the bean sprouts (I use
canned), but they can be omitted if you don't care for them. The
green onions are crucial.

If you have any questions, ask in this thread, or you may contact me
using the e-mail address that I'm posting under.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Chicken Fried Rice

Recipe By amsel
Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : rice side dishes
stir-fry

---Rice Prep---
1 cup rice -- washed
1 cup water
---Chicken Prep---
2 chicken breast halves -- skinned and boned
1/2 teaspoon cornstarch
1 dash white pepper
---Other Prep---
2 eggs -- slightly beaten
4 whole green onions -- chopped
1 cup bean sprouts -- rinsed
---Cooking---
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 1/2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 dash white pepper
1/2 teaspoon sesame oil

1. Place raw rice in 2-quart saucepan. Add enough cold water to
cover rice. Wash rice by rubbing gently between fingers; drain.
Repeat washing rice until water is clear (5 to 6 times). Drain. Add
1 cup water; heat to boiling. Cover tightly; reduce heat and simmer
until liquid is absorbed, about 20 minutes. Set aside.

2. Cut chicken into 1/4-inch pieces. Toss chicken, cornstarch, and
dash of white pepper.

3. Prepare eggs, green onions, and bean sprouts for cooking. Set
aside, in separate bowls.

4. Heat wok until 1 or 2 drops of water sizzle and dissipate when
sprinkled in wok. Add 1 tablespoon oil; rotate wok to coat side. Add
eggs; cook and stir until eggs are thickened throughout but still
moist. Remove eggs from wok.

5. Heat 2 tablespoons oil in wok, coating sides of wok. Add chicken
and stir-fry until meat turns white. Add rice and stir-fry for 1
minute. Stir in soy sauce and a dash of white pepper. Add eggs, bean
sprouts, then green onions, continuously moving food in the wok for
about 30 seconds. Sprinkle with sesame oil, toss, and serve.

Cuisine:
"Chinese"
Source:
"Based on a recipe by Leeann Chin"
Copyright:
"1981"

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 293 Calories; 13g Fat (41.6%
calories from fat); 15g Protein; 27g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber;
93mg Cholesterol; 311mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1 1/2 Grain(Starch); 1 1/2
Lean Meat; 1/2 Vegetable; 1 1/2 Fat.

NOTES : May substitute chicken with fresh or leftover diced pork,
beef, ham, or shrimp.
--

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/head_trollop/my_photos