Posted to rec.food.cooking
Curly Sue

Default Serial ham

T minus 2 days: buy ham slice, keep in refrigerator until ready to
use

Day 1: Bisquick "quiche" (I've posted the recipe before). Chop
enough ham in the FP for day 2 as well
Day 2: Ham salad (chopped ham, mayo, sweet relish, yellow mustard)
sandwich
Day 3: skip a day
Day 4: cheese, noodles, and ham casserole.

My favorite? the ham salad!

Me luv ham.

Sue(tm)
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sheldon

Curly Sue wrote:
> T minus 2 days: buy ham slice, keep in refrigerator until ready to
> use
>
> Day 1: Bisquick "quiche" (I've posted the recipe before). Chop
> enough ham in the FP for day 2 as well
> Day 2: Ham salad (chopped ham, mayo, sweet relish, yellow mustard)
> sandwich
> Day 3: skip a day
> Day 4: cheese, noodles, and ham casserole.
>
> My favorite? the ham salad!
>
> Me luv ham.

Then why not buy a whole ham... what's one measly slice, won't even
fill a small cavity.

This week my local stupidmarket has a pretty good deal on ham:
http://www.pricechopper.com/WeeklyAd/WeeklyAd_Store_S.las?-token.date=2005-12-11&-token.S=98AT9R364821d98P7112ACE5mIpN6L5O67A23B|100 130|0512111753|||||

http://tinyurl.com/7k53a

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Curly Sue

On 11 Dec 2005 14:57:57 -0800, "Sheldon" > wrote:

>Curly Sue wrote:

>> My favorite? the ham salad!
>>
>> Me luv ham.

>Then why not buy a whole ham... what's one measly slice, won't even
>fill a small cavity.
>
>This week my local stupidmarket has a pretty good deal on ham:
>http://www.pricechopper.com/WeeklyAd/WeeklyAd_Store_S.las?-token.date=2005-12-11&-token.S=98AT9R364821d98P7112ACE5mIpN6L5O67A23B|100 130|0512111753|||||
>
>http://tinyurl.com/7k53a

That is a good idea. After the holidays I'll make room in the
refrigerator and freezer to cut up a ham for meals . Remember, I'm a
goil and I have a dainty appertite so it takes a while to go through
one

Sue(tm)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Curly Sue wrote:
> T minus 2 days: buy ham slice, keep in refrigerator until ready to
> use
>
> Day 1: Bisquick "quiche" (I've posted the recipe before). Chop
> enough ham in the FP for day 2 as well
> Day 2: Ham salad (chopped ham, mayo, sweet relish, yellow mustard)
> sandwich
> Day 3: skip a day
> Day 4: cheese, noodles, and ham casserole.
>
> My favorite? the ham salad!
>
> Me luv ham.
>
> Sue(tm)
> Lead me not into temptation... I can find it myself!

Spring for the whole ham. The left overs are wonderful. Steven seldom
eats ham when I buy it, but I still buy the whole damned thing. I love
the omeletes, mac 'n cheese, casseroles and ham 'n beans I can make out
of it. I like picking on it the best. Grabbing a nibble here and
there.

Michael <- posting from Kris' house via Google

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Curly Sue wrote:
> T minus 2 days: buy ham slice, keep in refrigerator until ready to
> use
>
> Day 1: Bisquick "quiche" (I've posted the recipe before). Chop
> enough ham in the FP for day 2 as well
> Day 2: Ham salad (chopped ham, mayo, sweet relish, yellow mustard)
> sandwich
> Day 3: skip a day
> Day 4: cheese, noodles, and ham casserole.
>
> My favorite? the ham salad!
>
> Me luv ham.
>
> Sue(tm)
> Lead me not into temptation... I can find it myself!

Spring for the whole ham. The left overs are wonderful. Steven seldom
eats ham when I buy it, but I still buy the whole damned thing. I love
the omeletes, mac 'n cheese, casseroles and ham 'n beans I can make out
of it. I like picking on it the best. Grabbing a nibble here and
there.

Michael <- posting from Kris' house via Google

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Curly Sue wrote:
> T minus 2 days: buy ham slice, keep in refrigerator until ready to
> use
>
> Day 1: Bisquick "quiche" (I've posted the recipe before). Chop
> enough ham in the FP for day 2 as well
> Day 2: Ham salad (chopped ham, mayo, sweet relish, yellow mustard)
> sandwich
> Day 3: skip a day
> Day 4: cheese, noodles, and ham casserole.
>
> My favorite? the ham salad!
>
> Me luv ham.
>
> Sue(tm)
> Lead me not into temptation... I can find it myself!

Spring for the whole ham. The left overs are wonderful. Steven seldom
eats ham when I buy it, but I still buy the whole damned thing. I love
the omeletes, mac 'n cheese, casseroles and ham 'n beans I can make out
of it. I like picking on it the best. Grabbing a nibble here and
there.

Michael <- posting from Kris' house via Google

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Edwin Pawlowski

"Curly Sue" > wrote in message
>T minus 2 days: buy ham slice, keep in refrigerator until ready to
> use
>
> Day 1: Bisquick "quiche" (I've posted the recipe before). Chop
> enough ham in the FP for day 2 as well
> Day 2: Ham salad (chopped ham, mayo, sweet relish, yellow mustard)
> sandwich
> Day 3: skip a day
> Day 4: cheese, noodles, and ham casserole.
>
> My favorite? the ham salad!
>
> Me luv ham.
>
> Sue(tm)
> Lead me not into temptation... I can find it myself!

You get all of that from one slice of ham? A whole ham would last your
lifetime.

I bought ours today for Christmas dinner. John Morrell E Z Cut was on sale
for $2.79 so I saved $12.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Curly Sue

On Mon, 12 Dec 2005 03:57:20 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski" >
wrote:

>"Curly Sue" > wrote in message
>>T minus 2 days: buy ham slice, keep in refrigerator until ready to
>> use
>>
>> Day 1: Bisquick "quiche" (I've posted the recipe before). Chop
>> enough ham in the FP for day 2 as well
>> Day 2: Ham salad (chopped ham, mayo, sweet relish, yellow mustard)
>> sandwich
>> Day 3: skip a day
>> Day 4: cheese, noodles, and ham casserole.
>>
>> My favorite? the ham salad!
>>
>> Me luv ham.
>>
>> Sue(tm)
>> Lead me not into temptation... I can find it myself!

>You get all of that from one slice of ham? A whole ham would last your
>lifetime.

No kidding! It's just me and the slender resident college student.
We still have leftovers from the quiche and the casserole. Not that
that's a bad thing.

>I bought ours today for Christmas dinner. John Morrell E Z Cut was on sale
>for $2.79 so I saved $12.

I'm looking forward to Mom's Christmas ham.

Sue(tm)
Posted to rec.food.cooking
kilikini

"Curly Sue" > wrote in message
> T minus 2 days: buy ham slice, keep in refrigerator until ready to
> use
>
> Day 1: Bisquick "quiche" (I've posted the recipe before). Chop
> enough ham in the FP for day 2 as well
> Day 2: Ham salad (chopped ham, mayo, sweet relish, yellow mustard)
> sandwich
> Day 3: skip a day
> Day 4: cheese, noodles, and ham casserole.
>
> My favorite? the ham salad!
>
> Me luv ham.
>
> Sue(tm)
> Lead me not into temptation... I can find it myself!

I've never heard of ham salad, seriously! To be honest, though, it doesn't
sound all that appealing to me. Do you use any seasonings? Any cheese?
What kind of bread do you put it on, and do you toast it? Silly questions,
perhaps, but I'm a newbie to this one.

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Curly Sue

On Mon, 12 Dec 2005 12:07:51 GMT, "kilikini"
> wrote:

>"Curly Sue" > wrote in message

>> Day 2: Ham salad (chopped ham, mayo, sweet relish, yellow mustard)
>> sandwich
>> Day 3: skip a day
>> Day 4: cheese, noodles, and ham casserole.
>>
>> My favorite? the ham salad!
>>
>> Me luv ham.
>>
>> Sue(tm)
>> Lead me not into temptation... I can find it myself!

>I've never heard of ham salad, seriously! To be honest, though, it doesn't
>sound all that appealing to me. Do you use any seasonings? Any cheese?
>What kind of bread do you put it on, and do you toast it? Silly questions,
>perhaps, but I'm a newbie to this one.
>
>kili

And I'm taken aback that someone hasn't heard of ham salad (really, I
thought it was a standard like egg salad and chicken salad).

Well, it's similar to egg salad in using chopped/ground ham,
mayonnaise, and a few other things depending on one's fancy. The one
I like best is as above, with mayo, relish, and mustard. No cheese
(ewww )

Like egg or chicken salad, I eat it on any type of bread or roll,
toasted, not toasted, with lettuce or not, and if there is any left
over, I have it on crackers. On crackers I have it. That is how I
eat my ham. I do so like salad of ham. I would eat it in a boat. I
would eat it with a goat. I would eat it here and there. I would eat
it anywhere.

(sorry, I got carried away)

Sue(tm)

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Denny Wheeler

Default Ham Fried Rice?: (was: Serial ham)

On Sun, 11 Dec 2005 19:47:58 -0600, Damsel in dis Dress
> wrote:

>Ham fried rice. Unbelievably delicious! Recipe available.

Please? Oh, and assume I know *nothing* about making any form of
fried rice. Because that's the case.

I definitely need to know if I need long-grain rice for that. I
basically have only Calrose and Jasmine rices on hand. And of course
a rice cooker.

--
-denny-
"Do your thoughts call ahead or do they just arrive at your mouth unannounced?"

"It's come as you are, baby."

-over the hedge
Posted to rec.food.cooking
kilikini

"Curly Sue" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 12 Dec 2005 12:07:51 GMT, "kilikini"
> > wrote:
>

> >"Curly Sue" > wrote in message

> >> Day 2: Ham salad (chopped ham, mayo, sweet relish, yellow mustard)
> >> sandwich
> >> Day 3: skip a day
> >> Day 4: cheese, noodles, and ham casserole.
> >>
> >> My favorite? the ham salad!
> >>
> >> Me luv ham.
> >>
> >> Sue(tm)
> >> Lead me not into temptation... I can find it myself!

> >I've never heard of ham salad, seriously! To be honest, though, it

doesn't
> >sound all that appealing to me. Do you use any seasonings? Any cheese?
> >What kind of bread do you put it on, and do you toast it? Silly

questions,
> >perhaps, but I'm a newbie to this one.
> >
> >kili

> And I'm taken aback that someone hasn't heard of ham salad (really, I
> thought it was a standard like egg salad and chicken salad).
>
> Well, it's similar to egg salad in using chopped/ground ham,
> mayonnaise, and a few other things depending on one's fancy. The one
> I like best is as above, with mayo, relish, and mustard. No cheese
> (ewww )
>
> Like egg or chicken salad, I eat it on any type of bread or roll,
> toasted, not toasted, with lettuce or not, and if there is any left
> over, I have it on crackers. On crackers I have it. That is how I
> eat my ham. I do so like salad of ham. I would eat it in a boat. I
> would eat it with a goat. I would eat it here and there. I would eat
> it anywhere.
>
> (sorry, I got carried away)
>
> Sue(tm)
> Lead me not into temptation... I can find it myself!

LOL! I guess I'll have to give it a try, then. (but I'm not eating it with
a goat)

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking
jmcquown

Denny Wheeler wrote:
> On Sun, 11 Dec 2005 19:47:58 -0600, Damsel in dis Dress
> > wrote:
>
>> Ham fried rice. Unbelievably delicious! Recipe available.

> Please? Oh, and assume I know *nothing* about making any form of
> fried rice. Because that's the case.
>
> I definitely need to know if I need long-grain rice for that. I
> basically have only Calrose and Jasmine rices on hand. And of course
> a rice cooker.

Long grain is best, Jasmine is fragrant but not necessary. Cook the rice
and then (Damsel will tell you it doesn't need to be chilled for stir fry
and she's right, but in Asian cultures it is day old cold rice)

Toss the meat/seafood and then veggies in a wok or deep stir fry skillet in
oil or fat; and sauces and toss it all together. At this point add the
cooked rice. Toss and cook and add soy sauce, mom used to do what they did
in Thailand and add 2 Tbs. tomato paste and more chicken stock. When it is
all hot, add a couple of scrambled eggs. Toss until the eggs are cooked
then plate the fried rice.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Damsel in dis Dress

On Tue, 13 Dec 2005 00:53:26 -0800, Denny Wheeler
> wrote:

> On Sun, 11 Dec 2005 19:47:58 -0600, Damsel in dis Dress
> > wrote:
>
> >Ham fried rice. Unbelievably delicious! Recipe available.

> Please? Oh, and assume I know *nothing* about making any form of
> fried rice. Because that's the case.
>
> I definitely need to know if I need long-grain rice for that. I
> basically have only Calrose and Jasmine rices on hand. And of course
> a rice cooker.

I use long grain rice. I'm not sure if it's crucial or not, it's just
what I have on hand most of the time. Hopefully, someone will chime
in. This recipe is based on impulse cooking. If you use a 1:1 ratio
of rice to water, it'll be quite firm, and can be used right away. If
you make it in your rice cooker, do it the day before, and refrigerate
the rice.

The recipe is for chicken fried rice. Just substitute ham for the
chicken. It's nice with some fresh or frozen peas, too. If they're
frozen, thaw them first. Toss them in at the end with the green onion
(scallions) and bean sprouts. I enjoy the bean sprouts (I use
canned), but they can be omitted if you don't care for them. The
green onions are crucial.

If you have any questions, ask in this thread, or you may contact me
using the e-mail address that I'm posting under.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Chicken Fried Rice

Recipe By amsel
Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : rice side dishes
stir-fry

---Rice Prep---
1 cup rice -- washed
1 cup water
---Chicken Prep---
2 chicken breast halves -- skinned and boned
1/2 teaspoon cornstarch
1 dash white pepper
---Other Prep---
2 eggs -- slightly beaten
4 whole green onions -- chopped
1 cup bean sprouts -- rinsed
---Cooking---
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 1/2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 dash white pepper
1/2 teaspoon sesame oil

1. Place raw rice in 2-quart saucepan. Add enough cold water to
cover rice. Wash rice by rubbing gently between fingers; drain.
Repeat washing rice until water is clear (5 to 6 times). Drain. Add
1 cup water; heat to boiling. Cover tightly; reduce heat and simmer
until liquid is absorbed, about 20 minutes. Set aside.

2. Cut chicken into 1/4-inch pieces. Toss chicken, cornstarch, and
dash of white pepper.

3. Prepare eggs, green onions, and bean sprouts for cooking. Set
aside, in separate bowls.

4. Heat wok until 1 or 2 drops of water sizzle and dissipate when
sprinkled in wok. Add 1 tablespoon oil; rotate wok to coat side. Add
eggs; cook and stir until eggs are thickened throughout but still
moist. Remove eggs from wok.

5. Heat 2 tablespoons oil in wok, coating sides of wok. Add chicken
and stir-fry until meat turns white. Add rice and stir-fry for 1
minute. Stir in soy sauce and a dash of white pepper. Add eggs, bean
sprouts, then green onions, continuously moving food in the wok for
about 30 seconds. Sprinkle with sesame oil, toss, and serve.

Cuisine:
"Chinese"
Source:
"Based on a recipe by Leeann Chin"
Copyright:
"1981"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 293 Calories; 13g Fat (41.6%
calories from fat); 15g Protein; 27g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber;
93mg Cholesterol; 311mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1 1/2 Grain(Starch); 1 1/2
Lean Meat; 1/2 Vegetable; 1 1/2 Fat.

NOTES : May substitute chicken with fresh or leftover diced pork,
beef, ham, or shrimp.
--

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/head_trollop/my_photos
Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem

Denny Wheeler wrote:

> Please? Oh, and assume I know *nothing* about making any form of
> fried rice. Because that's the case.
>
> I definitely need to know if I need long-grain rice for that. I
> basically have only Calrose and Jasmine rices on hand. And of course
> a rice cooker.

You can make fried rice with any kind of cooked, cold white rice. In
addition to what other postings have told you, the best advice I can
give is: turn up the heat! Use a heavy pan or wok that will handle
the highest heat you can generate. If your stove can do it you want to
reach heats beyond those that teflon can safely handle. So put your
heavy carbon steel wok or your anodized aluminum or your cast iron pan
on the largest burner on the highest heat. Get all your ingredients
chopped up and ready to go. Break up any clumps in your cold rice (use
your clean hands). The pan is still on the burner getting hotter and
hotter. When it is beginning to scare you, find your peanut oil, or
neutral vegetable oil (not olive). When the pan has begun to smoke,
pour a couple of TB of oil in and swirl it around. Put in your meat
and veggies in order of the time required to cook them, longest first.
Do not overload the pan! That will cause too much cooling, which must
be avoided. If necessary, cook the stuff in portions, removing it as
cooked to a bowl and adding the rest. When all the goodies except the
rice have been cooked, remove everything from the wok/pan. It's still
on high heat, you've never turned it down. Wait for the pan to come
back to its highest heat, add 2 TB more oil, then the rice. Fry it.
Don't steam it, don't "heat" it, this is why you need the heat.

Et cetera. Yes, I'm being tiresome about this point. But if you look
back through the archives of rfc you find post after post from people
saying their fried rice doesn't come out the way they want it to.
People post various flavoring speculations. The answer is HEAT. Can
you produce something edible, adequate, even pretty good without it?
Sure. But it's better this way. Raise your sights, and your heat.
-aem