Posted to rec.food.cooking
Wayne Boatwright

Default The water's on to boil... (was: Do it at home lobster)

On Sat 10 Dec 2005 06:56:11p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it
PastaLover?

> PastaLover wrote:
>> and the bug's in the fridge just waiting.
>>
>> I'll post the results later tonight.

> Went to the store today to buy some tuna for a light supper of sashimi.
> The tuna didn't look as rich and dark as I like, but it was in the case
> right next to the lobster case. So, I opted for the lobster instead. (It
> was my second choice anyway...)
>
> The guy at the store didn't seem to know much about them. I "played
> dumb" and asked a lot of stupid questions. He didn't tell me anything
> wrong, but couldn't answer a few of my questions.
>
> The lobster tank had two 2-pounders with huge claws and I was so tempted
> since I like the claw meat so much, but my stock pot just wasn't that
> large. So I told the guy to fish me out a smaller one. He picked what
> looked to be about the smallest in the tank. Turned out to be very
> feisty little bug. He thrashed his tail and waived his claws. I began to
> have second thoughts, but by then it was too late. I was committed.
>
> He turned out to be pretty docile and didn't move much when I cut the
> rubber bands and pulled him from the little cardboard box I brought him
> home in. Just a little leg movement and a very weak tail movement. I
> live less than 5 minutes from the grocery store and I'd been home only
> about 20 minutes by this time. I simply put the cardboard box in the
> fridge while I filled the pot with water and brought it to a boil.
>
> Well, the results are somewhat mixed. Tail is still more chewy than I
> like. I guess I overcooked him. I'm surprised the tail meat is so prone
> to overcooked--I'd think the greater mass would allow it to cook longer
> without getting overdone. Maybe because it's got more "grain"?
>
> He weighed 1.65 pounds by the grocery's digital scale, and I cooked him
> for 12 minutes. Recipe I saw said 10-12 for 1 to 1.5 pounders. I went to
> the high end of the time range because he was bigger than 1.5, but not
> that much more. I wonder if the overcooking comes from the carry-over
> heat during the time between hauling him out of the pot and running cold
> water over him to stop the cooking. Next time I'll go with the lower end
> of the time range and anticipate the carry-over.

IME, you didn't cook it long enough. Here's a chart:

Boiled
1 lb.
12 - 15 minutes

1-1/2 lbs.
15 - 20 minutes.

2-3 lbs.
20 - 25 minutes

3-1/2 - 5 lbs.
25 - 30 minutes

Steamed
1-1-1/2 lbs.
20 minutes

> I popped him in the boiling water and I swear he must have died
> immediately. No fighting or movement at all. Not sure why this makes
> people so squeamish. I was surprised how fast the shell begain to turn
> color.
>
> After dropping him in the water, I began melting the butter (English
> double cream butter--heaven on earth) and it suddenly dawned on me that

Did you get the English double cream butter in Scottsdale? I would love
to find some.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*