Posted to rec.food.cooking
D.Currie

Default Ceramic Knife - Good buy

"Dee Randall" > wrote in message

> "D.Currie" > wrote in message
>> After reading the discussion on ceramic knives here, I decided to get
>> one, if I could fine a decent one at a not-outrageous price. While I've
>> got some good knives (including some very old hand-me-down knives that
>> might have been handmade) that I like to use, I also like gadgets.
>> Ceramic knives might fall into that category, huh?
>>
>> So, while I was shopping online at an industrial supply catalog place
>> that I used to work for, I checked out the kitchen things, and lo and
>> behold, they had 3 ceramic knifes -- paring, utility, and chef's. What
>> the heck, I bought the utility knife.
>>
>> This place doesn't list brand names, but I know they tend to choose
>> quality, so I figured I'd get something that was decent. The shipment
>> came today, and it was a Kyocera knife. Not bad for $38.15.
>>
>> I also bought a folding digital probe thermometer. Pretty cool. It
>> measures from - 58F to +572 F and does an auto-shutoff when you fold the
>> probe down for storage. Nice big LCD screen, too. I found it selling
>> online at a UK website that had all sorts of lab-type/industrial testing
>> equipment, so it seems like it should be good quality. Google translated
>> the selling price to something like $69 and I paid under $34. So that
>> looks like a decent buy too.
>>
>> It's been a pretty good day.
>>
>> Lunch was leftovers: a little chunk of pork shoulder that I bought on
>> sale. Cooked simply, with some onion and green pepper and seasoned with
>> some Penzey mix -- I think it was the Pizza seasoning that I got as a
>> sample. Some mashed potatoes on the side. No cooking tonight, we're going
>> out.
>>
>> --
>> Donna

> I wouldn't mind trying the knife. Would you mind "sharing" the website
> url?
> I bought my Thermapen, which sounds like what you are speaking of, for
> $85+extra shipping. You gotta deal! I couldn't find it anywhere any
> cheaper.
> My day was a day without cooking anything special. (Away from home - more
> PT appointments this month). But I did have a left-over (homemade) biscuit
> sliced and toasted and slathered with Italian chestnut honey and some
> Ceylon cinnamon with black tea this morning. I was wondering what I was
> going to do with those extra two biscuits.
> Dee Dee

The company is McMaster-Carr and it's kind of like a WW Grainger, if you're
familiar with them, but with a lot more products. I thought I gave the name,
but I got carried away with the joy of my new toys. hehe.

www.mcmaster.com will get you there.

3226A25 is the part number for the knife.
3129K11 is the part number for the thermometer.

I looked up the Thermapen and it does look like it, but this is an
industrial gray color, and it's got 3 little buttons on the top for C/F
temps, high or low readings, and a temperature hold, which I guess you'd use
if you inserted the thermometer into something and couldn't read the LCD for
some reason, so it would hold the reading.

So the "rest of the story" is that I was looking at the catalog because I
needed some disposable latex gloves. Bought a box of 100 for about 9
dollars, then added the knife and thermometer. Yup, that was some cost
effective shopping.

Donna