Posted to rec.food.cooking
D.Currie

Default Ceramic Knife - Good buy

After reading the discussion on ceramic knives here, I decided to get one,
if I could fine a decent one at a not-outrageous price. While I've got some
good knives (including some very old hand-me-down knives that might have
been handmade) that I like to use, I also like gadgets. Ceramic knives might
fall into that category, huh?

So, while I was shopping online at an industrial supply catalog place that I
used to work for, I checked out the kitchen things, and lo and behold, they
had 3 ceramic knifes -- paring, utility, and chef's. What the heck, I bought
the utility knife.

This place doesn't list brand names, but I know they tend to choose quality,
so I figured I'd get something that was decent. The shipment came today, and
it was a Kyocera knife. Not bad for $38.15.

I also bought a folding digital probe thermometer. Pretty cool. It measures
from - 58F to +572 F and does an auto-shutoff when you fold the probe down
for storage. Nice big LCD screen, too. I found it selling online at a UK
website that had all sorts of lab-type/industrial testing equipment, so it
seems like it should be good quality. Google translated the selling price to
something like $69 and I paid under $34. So that looks like a decent buy
too.

It's been a pretty good day.

Lunch was leftovers: a little chunk of pork shoulder that I bought on sale.
Cooked simply, with some onion and green pepper and seasoned with some
Penzey mix -- I think it was the Pizza seasoning that I got as a sample.
Some mashed potatoes on the side. No cooking tonight, we're going out.

--
Donna

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Dee Randall

"D.Currie" > wrote in message
> After reading the discussion on ceramic knives here, I decided to get one,
> if I could fine a decent one at a not-outrageous price. While I've got
> some good knives (including some very old hand-me-down knives that might
> have been handmade) that I like to use, I also like gadgets. Ceramic
> knives might fall into that category, huh?
>
> So, while I was shopping online at an industrial supply catalog place that
> I used to work for, I checked out the kitchen things, and lo and behold,
> they had 3 ceramic knifes -- paring, utility, and chef's. What the heck, I
> bought the utility knife.
>
> This place doesn't list brand names, but I know they tend to choose
> quality, so I figured I'd get something that was decent. The shipment came
> today, and it was a Kyocera knife. Not bad for $38.15.
>
> I also bought a folding digital probe thermometer. Pretty cool. It
> measures from - 58F to +572 F and does an auto-shutoff when you fold the
> probe down for storage. Nice big LCD screen, too. I found it selling
> online at a UK website that had all sorts of lab-type/industrial testing
> equipment, so it seems like it should be good quality. Google translated
> the selling price to something like $69 and I paid under $34. So that
> looks like a decent buy too.
>
> It's been a pretty good day.
>
> Lunch was leftovers: a little chunk of pork shoulder that I bought on
> sale. Cooked simply, with some onion and green pepper and seasoned with
> some Penzey mix -- I think it was the Pizza seasoning that I got as a
> sample. Some mashed potatoes on the side. No cooking tonight, we're going
> out.
>
> --
> Donna

I wouldn't mind trying the knife. Would you mind "sharing" the website url?
I bought my Thermapen, which sounds like what you are speaking of, for
$85+extra shipping. You gotta deal! I couldn't find it anywhere any
cheaper.
My day was a day without cooking anything special. (Away from home - more
PT appointments this month). But I did have a left-over (homemade) biscuit
sliced and toasted and slathered with Italian chestnut honey and some Ceylon
cinnamon with black tea this morning. I was wondering what I was going to
do with those extra two biscuits.
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Curt Nelson

D.Currie wrote:

> I also bought a folding digital probe thermometer. Pretty cool. It
> measures from - 58F to +572 F and does an auto-shutoff when you fold
> the probe down for storage. Nice big LCD screen, too. I found it
> selling online at a UK website that had all sorts of
> lab-type/industrial testing equipment, so it seems like it should be
> good quality. Google translated the selling price to something like
> $69 and I paid under $34. So that looks like a decent buy too.

It does sound like you got a Thermapen. So where'd you get it?

You can't bait us like that and then hold out on the information... :-)

--
Hasta,
Curt Nelson

Posted to rec.food.cooking
D.Currie

"Dee Randall" > wrote in message

> "D.Currie" > wrote in message
>> After reading the discussion on ceramic knives here, I decided to get
>> one, if I could fine a decent one at a not-outrageous price. While I've
>> got some good knives (including some very old hand-me-down knives that
>> might have been handmade) that I like to use, I also like gadgets.
>> Ceramic knives might fall into that category, huh?
>>
>> So, while I was shopping online at an industrial supply catalog place
>> that I used to work for, I checked out the kitchen things, and lo and
>> behold, they had 3 ceramic knifes -- paring, utility, and chef's. What
>> the heck, I bought the utility knife.
>>
>> This place doesn't list brand names, but I know they tend to choose
>> quality, so I figured I'd get something that was decent. The shipment
>> came today, and it was a Kyocera knife. Not bad for $38.15.
>>
>> I also bought a folding digital probe thermometer. Pretty cool. It
>> measures from - 58F to +572 F and does an auto-shutoff when you fold the
>> probe down for storage. Nice big LCD screen, too. I found it selling
>> online at a UK website that had all sorts of lab-type/industrial testing
>> equipment, so it seems like it should be good quality. Google translated
>> the selling price to something like $69 and I paid under $34. So that
>> looks like a decent buy too.
>>
>> It's been a pretty good day.
>>
>> Lunch was leftovers: a little chunk of pork shoulder that I bought on
>> sale. Cooked simply, with some onion and green pepper and seasoned with
>> some Penzey mix -- I think it was the Pizza seasoning that I got as a
>> sample. Some mashed potatoes on the side. No cooking tonight, we're going
>> out.
>>
>> --
>> Donna

> I wouldn't mind trying the knife. Would you mind "sharing" the website
> url?
> I bought my Thermapen, which sounds like what you are speaking of, for
> $85+extra shipping. You gotta deal! I couldn't find it anywhere any
> cheaper.
> My day was a day without cooking anything special. (Away from home - more
> PT appointments this month). But I did have a left-over (homemade) biscuit
> sliced and toasted and slathered with Italian chestnut honey and some
> Ceylon cinnamon with black tea this morning. I was wondering what I was
> going to do with those extra two biscuits.
> Dee Dee

The company is McMaster-Carr and it's kind of like a WW Grainger, if you're
familiar with them, but with a lot more products. I thought I gave the name,
but I got carried away with the joy of my new toys. hehe.

www.mcmaster.com will get you there.

3226A25 is the part number for the knife.
3129K11 is the part number for the thermometer.

I looked up the Thermapen and it does look like it, but this is an
industrial gray color, and it's got 3 little buttons on the top for C/F
temps, high or low readings, and a temperature hold, which I guess you'd use
if you inserted the thermometer into something and couldn't read the LCD for
some reason, so it would hold the reading.

So the "rest of the story" is that I was looking at the catalog because I
needed some disposable latex gloves. Bought a box of 100 for about 9
dollars, then added the knife and thermometer. Yup, that was some cost
effective shopping.

Donna

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Dee Randall

"D.Currie" > wrote in message

> [...]

> you're familiar with them, but with a lot more products. I thought I gave
> the name, but I got carried away with the joy of my new toys. hehe.
>
> www.mcmaster.com will get you there.
>
> 3226A25 is the part number for the knife.
> 3129K11 is the part number for the thermometer.
>
> I looked up the Thermapen and it does look like it, but this is an
> industrial gray color, and it's got 3 little buttons on the top for C/F
> temps, high or low readings, and a temperature hold, which I guess you'd
> use if you inserted the thermometer into something and couldn't read the
> LCD for some reason, so it would hold the reading.
>
> So the "rest of the story" is that I was looking at the catalog because I
> needed some disposable latex gloves. Bought a box of 100 for about 9
> dollars, then added the knife and thermometer. Yup, that was some cost

Thanks, Donna. Whatta site. I'm going to have to hide this site from DH.
There'll be no money left for my toys.
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking
D.Currie

"Dee Randall" > wrote in message

> Thanks, Donna. Whatta site. I'm going to have to hide this site from DH.
> There'll be no money left for my toys.
> Dee Dee

It was madness when I worked there, what with the employee discount and the
ease of picking it up on the way out at the end of the day. One day I'd be
bringing home hacksaw blades and the next I'd be picking up dishwashing
detergent and an ice scraper. And I know how they pick catalog items, so you
can be pretty sure that anything you get is good quality. And their return
policy is "any time for any reason -- or no reason." But really, that's not
why I liked working there. I think it was the Christmas bonus. Let's say
that they were overly generous with that and other benefits. If we didn't
move across the country, I probably would have happily worked there until I
retired.

Most things are shipped within a few hours of the time you place the order.
And I mean picked, packed and on the truck. Unless you order at night, but
if they're open, the orders are processed immediately. The place is a marvel
of efficiency and customer service. I took my husband for a tour of the
warehouse, and I was afraid I'd never get him to come home again.

And here's another little-known tidbit about the company. If there's
something you want that they don't specifically have in the catalog, they
have a department that will try to hunt it down for you. And they're not
allowed to say "We can't find it," they have to at least offer you an
alternative. They'd probably draw the line at trying to find things that are
too far afield from the things they have in the catalog, but if it's
something vaguely similar to what they already have, they'll try to find it
for you. They've even gone as far as having things machined for customers if
the item didn't exist as-is. That sort of thing is pricy, but if it's just a
variation that exists but they don't stock, it's just a matter of them
ordering from the supplier. So if you wanted those ceramic knives with the
black blade instead of white, they'd get you a price and call you back.

Happy shopping...

Donna

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Curt Nelson

D.Currie wrote:

> www.mcmaster.com will get you there.
>
> 3226A25 is the part number for the knife.
> 3129K11 is the part number for the thermometer.
>
> I looked up the Thermapen and it does look like it, but this is an
> industrial gray color, and it's got 3 little buttons on the top for
> C/F temps, high or low readings, and a temperature hold, which I
> guess you'd use if you inserted the thermometer into something and
> couldn't read the LCD for some reason, so it would hold the reading.

Wow! If that isn't a Thermapen then I'll eat my hat. (Or at least made by
the same manufacturer.) Great find!

That's by far the best price I've seen anywhere. The cheapest I've been able
to find is about $85.

--
Hasta,
Curt Nelson

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Curt Nelson

D.Currie wrote:

> www.mcmaster.com will get you there.
>
> 3226A25 is the part number for the knife.
> 3129K11 is the part number for the thermometer.
>
> I looked up the Thermapen and it does look like it, but this is an
> industrial gray color, and it's got 3 little buttons on the top for
> C/F temps, high or low readings, and a temperature hold, which I
> guess you'd use if you inserted the thermometer into something and
> couldn't read the LCD for some reason, so it would hold the reading.

One question I do have is, does it read a stable temperature almost
instantly like a Thermapen or does it take 10-15 seconds to stabilize like a
conventional thermometer? This seems like a good way to tell.

--
Hasta,
Curt Nelson

Posted to rec.food.cooking

The company is McMaster-Carr and it's kind of like a WW Grainger, if
you're
familiar with them, but with a lot more products. I thought I gave the
name,
but I got carried away with the joy of my new toys. hehe.

I would try WW Grainger. I know for a fact that they have
discontinued all of their cutlery and they are practically giving them
away now. Call your local branch and ask them, they will hook you
right up. I just bought a $55 set of chef's grade butchers knives for
$18. How can you go wrong with a price like that?

ceramic knife Nonnymus[_5_] Barbecue 12 09-11-2007 01:35 AM
Fantes / Kyocera ceramic knife! Andy General Cooking 14 17-07-2006 12:40 AM
Ceramic Knife Question The Bubbo General Cooking 5 09-12-2005 05:05 AM
Ceramic knife question Jack Sloan Cooking Equipment 4 09-12-2004 03:37 PM
Good brand name for ceramic bakeware? hahabogus General Cooking 8 09-06-2004 05:26 PM