Posted to rec.food.cooking
Dee Randall

Default Ceramic Knife - Good buy

"D.Currie" > wrote in message
> After reading the discussion on ceramic knives here, I decided to get one,
> if I could fine a decent one at a not-outrageous price. While I've got
> some good knives (including some very old hand-me-down knives that might
> have been handmade) that I like to use, I also like gadgets. Ceramic
> knives might fall into that category, huh?
>
> So, while I was shopping online at an industrial supply catalog place that
> I used to work for, I checked out the kitchen things, and lo and behold,
> they had 3 ceramic knifes -- paring, utility, and chef's. What the heck, I
> bought the utility knife.
>
> This place doesn't list brand names, but I know they tend to choose
> quality, so I figured I'd get something that was decent. The shipment came
> today, and it was a Kyocera knife. Not bad for $38.15.
>
> I also bought a folding digital probe thermometer. Pretty cool. It
> measures from - 58F to +572 F and does an auto-shutoff when you fold the
> probe down for storage. Nice big LCD screen, too. I found it selling
> online at a UK website that had all sorts of lab-type/industrial testing
> equipment, so it seems like it should be good quality. Google translated
> the selling price to something like $69 and I paid under $34. So that
> looks like a decent buy too.
>
> It's been a pretty good day.
>
> Lunch was leftovers: a little chunk of pork shoulder that I bought on
> sale. Cooked simply, with some onion and green pepper and seasoned with
> some Penzey mix -- I think it was the Pizza seasoning that I got as a
> sample. Some mashed potatoes on the side. No cooking tonight, we're going
> out.
>
> --
> Donna

I wouldn't mind trying the knife. Would you mind "sharing" the website url?
I bought my Thermapen, which sounds like what you are speaking of, for
$85+extra shipping. You gotta deal! I couldn't find it anywhere any
cheaper.
My day was a day without cooking anything special. (Away from home - more
PT appointments this month). But I did have a left-over (homemade) biscuit
sliced and toasted and slathered with Italian chestnut honey and some Ceylon
cinnamon with black tea this morning. I was wondering what I was going to
do with those extra two biscuits.
Dee Dee