Posted to rec.food.cooking
Spitzmaus

Default QUESTION: Quince paste?

Reg wrote:

> It really is great with manchego. A classic combination. I make
> it but once a year. It keeps quite well for the rest.
>
> Membrillo (Quince Paste)
>
> 2 lb quinces
> 1 lb sugar
> juice one lemon
>
> Wipe fur off quinces, quarter, steam in a little water till soft.
> Rub through sieve. Boil sugar and 1/2 cup water, simmer for 10 min,
> then add to paste. Microwave paste till thick - about 40 mins on
> medium, stirring occasionally. Dry for several days in warm place.
> Store in greaseproof paper or foil.
>
> Variation: ground almonds in middle layer
>
> --
> Reg email: RegForte (at) (that free MS email service) (dot) com

My maternal grandfather was Cuban (*his* father was from Spain), and we grew
up with both quince and guava pastes. There was one canned variety my
mother would bring back from visits with relatives in Miami, and I remember
it being our favorite. No "tinny" aftertaste at all. Wish I could remember
the brand . . .

Spitz
--
"Home, James, and don't spare the horses!"