Posted to rec.food.cooking
Jude

Default QUESTION: Quince paste?

Has anyone used Quince Paste? I know I've seen it at gourmet markets
alongside the classy chesses for a cheese tray. We bought some and
tried it this weekend with our 5 cheese assortment. When it was fresh
from the fridge, the flavor was quitesweet and we couldn't find a
cheese that balanced it well. Dry Jack was about the best and I could
see maybe a strong, aged cheese like a reggiano or something paried
with it.

As it got to room temp, the sweetnedd mellowed some. We found then that
we liked it on a piece of flatbread with some soft saga bleu chesse, as
the strong flavor of the blue worked against the sweetness f the
quince.

But overall, we didn't see it as anything exciting or worth buying
again. Anyone have any great ways they have used quince spread that we
should try with the other half of the tub? Something that might wow me
a little?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Hello Jude
Yes, I've used Quince Paste I use Quince with Camembert cheeses and
Bries sort of the soft cheese assortment they work well. I also use it
in a Chocolate, Almond and Quince Paste Slab I found on a Cook ALong CD
called the Talking Chef by Maggie Beer. I ordered it at
www.sonikazoo.com really handy to have an expert chef talk you thru
recipes and techniques, I was thrilled with my last outing in the
kitchen. I liked the whole cooking class experience, sort of a one on
one personal class.
enjoy the quince

Jenny

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Mamma Mia

try a brie or camembert sort of thing
"Jude" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Has anyone used Quince Paste? I know I've seen it at gourmet markets
> alongside the classy chesses for a cheese tray. We bought some and
> tried it this weekend with our 5 cheese assortment. When it was fresh
> from the fridge, the flavor was quitesweet and we couldn't find a
> cheese that balanced it well. Dry Jack was about the best and I could
> see maybe a strong, aged cheese like a reggiano or something paried
> with it.
>
> As it got to room temp, the sweetnedd mellowed some. We found then that
> we liked it on a piece of flatbread with some soft saga bleu chesse, as
> the strong flavor of the blue worked against the sweetness f the
> quince.
>
> But overall, we didn't see it as anything exciting or worth buying
> again. Anyone have any great ways they have used quince spread that we
> should try with the other half of the tub? Something that might wow me
> a little?

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Reg

Jude wrote:

> But overall, we didn't see it as anything exciting or worth buying
> again. Anyone have any great ways they have used quince spread that we
> should try with the other half of the tub? Something that might wow me
> a little?

It really is great with manchego. A classic combination. I make
it but once a year. It keeps quite well for the rest.

Membrillo (Quince Paste)

2 lb quinces
1 lb sugar
juice one lemon

Wipe fur off quinces, quarter, steam in a little water till soft.
Rub through sieve. Boil sugar and 1/2 cup water, simmer for 10 min,
then add to paste. Microwave paste till thick - about 40 mins on
medium, stirring occasionally. Dry for several days in warm place.
Store in greaseproof paper or foil.

Variation: ground almonds in middle layer

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Bob Terwilliger

Jude wrote about quince paste:

> overall, we didn't see it as anything exciting or worth buying again.
> Anyone have any great ways they have used quince spread that we should try
> with the other half of the tub? Something that might wow me a little?

It's classically paired with Manchego cheese as a tapa. The main complaint
I've had against commercial quince pastes is that when they're canned they
take on a "tinny" flavor. But it's not difficult to make the paste from
fresh quinces, and sometimes I can find quince paste which hasn't been
stored in metal.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Rhonda Anderson

"Jude" > wrote in news:1133110880.965147.218950
@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com:

> Has anyone used Quince Paste? I know I've seen it at gourmet markets
> alongside the classy chesses for a cheese tray. We bought some and
> tried it this weekend with our 5 cheese assortment. When it was fresh
> from the fridge, the flavor was quitesweet and we couldn't find a
> cheese that balanced it well. Dry Jack was about the best and I could
> see maybe a strong, aged cheese like a reggiano or something paried
> with it.

I have used and enjoyed quince paste. I've purchased a couple of types
here. The one I liked best (Maggie Beer Quince Paste) actually specified
on the package that it should not be refrigerated, so I never kept it in
the fridge. I like it with an aged cheddar. On the Maggie Beer website
she has a few suggestions on cheeses,and other ways to use the quince
paste - use the following link, then just scroll down till you see quince
paste, then click on the quince paste heading.

http://www.maggiebeer.com.au/html/theproducts.htm

There's also a recipe (which I notice another poster has mentioned as
beng on a talking chef CD that you can purchase - the recipe's on the
website for free) for Chocolate, Almond and Quince Paste slab. Just click
on the Recipes link,on the above site, and scroll down the page.

Rhonda Anderson
Cranebrook, NSW, Australia

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Spitzmaus

Reg wrote:

> It really is great with manchego. A classic combination. I make
> it but once a year. It keeps quite well for the rest.
>
> Membrillo (Quince Paste)
>
> 2 lb quinces
> 1 lb sugar
> juice one lemon
>
> Wipe fur off quinces, quarter, steam in a little water till soft.
> Rub through sieve. Boil sugar and 1/2 cup water, simmer for 10 min,
> then add to paste. Microwave paste till thick - about 40 mins on
> medium, stirring occasionally. Dry for several days in warm place.
> Store in greaseproof paper or foil.
>
> Variation: ground almonds in middle layer
>
> --
> Reg email: RegForte (at) (that free MS email service) (dot) com

My maternal grandfather was Cuban (*his* father was from Spain), and we grew
up with both quince and guava pastes. There was one canned variety my
mother would bring back from visits with relatives in Miami, and I remember
it being our favorite. No "tinny" aftertaste at all. Wish I could remember
the brand . . .

Spitz
--
"Home, James, and don't spare the horses!"

quince paste Ed[_10_] Preserving 3 30-07-2008 08:27 PM
Quick!! How do you serve Quince Paste with Manchecho cheese?? Christine Dabney General Cooking 10 03-09-2007 05:41 PM
question about fish paste and shrimp paste Amanda Asian Cooking 4 17-06-2006 02:20 AM
Quince jelly or roasted quince Jark Preserving 8 16-12-2005 10:38 AM