Posted to rec.food.cooking
Rhonda Anderson

Default QUESTION: Quince paste?

"Jude" > wrote in news:1133110880.965147.218950
@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com:

> Has anyone used Quince Paste? I know I've seen it at gourmet markets
> alongside the classy chesses for a cheese tray. We bought some and
> tried it this weekend with our 5 cheese assortment. When it was fresh
> from the fridge, the flavor was quitesweet and we couldn't find a
> cheese that balanced it well. Dry Jack was about the best and I could
> see maybe a strong, aged cheese like a reggiano or something paried
> with it.

I have used and enjoyed quince paste. I've purchased a couple of types
here. The one I liked best (Maggie Beer Quince Paste) actually specified
on the package that it should not be refrigerated, so I never kept it in
the fridge. I like it with an aged cheddar. On the Maggie Beer website
she has a few suggestions on cheeses,and other ways to use the quince
paste - use the following link, then just scroll down till you see quince
paste, then click on the quince paste heading.

http://www.maggiebeer.com.au/html/theproducts.htm

There's also a recipe (which I notice another poster has mentioned as
beng on a talking chef CD that you can purchase - the recipe's on the
website for free) for Chocolate, Almond and Quince Paste slab. Just click
on the Recipes link,on the above site, and scroll down the page.

Rhonda Anderson
Cranebrook, NSW, Australia