Posted to rec.food.cooking
OmManiPadmeOmelet

Default freezing half-and-half

In article >,
" > wrote:

> I've done several searches about freezing half-and-half and come up with
> different answers. I have a half-gallon I just got and I'll never use it
> all before it goes, so I'm going to try freezing it anyway.
>
> I know it'll separate when I freeze it...but will it blend back together if
> shaken well? My two main uses for half-and-half are in coffee and to make
> quiches.
>
> The coffee is going to be touchy-- but when it's thawed, will it work well
> for cooking something like a quiche?
>
> J.S.
> Seattle

It'll be fine, but I'd separate it into smaller containers so you only
have to thaw once.

I've frozen whole milk, buttermilk, half/half, heavy cream and even sour
cream. Since I mostly use that stuff for cooking, it comes out just fine.

Most of the buttermilk was actually used for drinking and it came out
just fine as well. When mom was dying, she had a sensitive stomach and
buttermilk helped. It was nice to be able to purchase several 1/2 gallon
containers at a time and freeze it so it'd be on hand whenever she
needed it with just a quick thaw in the microwave.
--
Om.