Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default freezing half-and-half

I've done several searches about freezing half-and-half and come up with
different answers. I have a half-gallon I just got and I'll never use it
all before it goes, so I'm going to try freezing it anyway.

I know it'll separate when I freeze it...but will it blend back together if
shaken well? My two main uses for half-and-half are in coffee and to make
quiches.

The coffee is going to be touchy-- but when it's thawed, will it work well
for cooking something like a quiche?

J.S.
Seattle

Posted to rec.food.cooking

It will separate. The look and mouth-feel will be quite disgusting when
poured into coffee. Shaking, blending, or stirring won't help.

I never tried to cook with separated half-and-half, but I imagine that
the fact that it's separated will mean that it won't mix well with the
other ingredients. Possibly nasty.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Edwin Pawlowski

" > wrote in
message

> The coffee is going to be touchy-- but when it's thawed, will it work well
> for cooking something like a quiche?

Make the quiche now and freeze it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article >,
" > wrote:

> I've done several searches about freezing half-and-half and come up with
> different answers. I have a half-gallon I just got and I'll never use it
> all before it goes, so I'm going to try freezing it anyway.
>
> I know it'll separate when I freeze it...but will it blend back together if
> shaken well? My two main uses for half-and-half are in coffee and to make
> quiches.
>
> The coffee is going to be touchy-- but when it's thawed, will it work well
> for cooking something like a quiche?
>
> J.S.
> Seattle

It'll be fine, but I'd separate it into smaller containers so you only
have to thaw once.

I've frozen whole milk, buttermilk, half/half, heavy cream and even sour
cream. Since I mostly use that stuff for cooking, it comes out just fine.

Most of the buttermilk was actually used for drinking and it came out
just fine as well. When mom was dying, she had a sensitive stomach and
buttermilk helped. It was nice to be able to purchase several 1/2 gallon
containers at a time and freeze it so it'd be on hand whenever she
needed it with just a quick thaw in the microwave.
--
Om.