Posted to rec.food.baking
Geoman1

Default Meringue questions

I have a few questions if I may.

I obtained my Great Grandmothers recipe for a meringue cake, and I wish to
modify it or at least understand it.

Allow me to put the recipe on here and then critique it.

1 Cup egg whites
Beat until firm
Add 2 cups sugar
Add 1 TBLS of Vanilla
Add 1 TBLS of Vinegar
Put into butter coated pans and cook like cake at 350F for one hour. Layer
with whip cream just like a cake, chill and serve with sweetened
strawberries or another fruit.

I LOVE this recipe, but left overs weep a lot in the refrigerator and I wish
to obtain a thicker cake, it shrinks and doesn't have a great amount of cake
afterwards.

Here are some questions I pose for educational discussion.

1. I tried Cream of Tartar, I used one to one ratio to Vinegar. The cake
tasted like a dry wine! Acid taste and feeling. I reduced to 1 teaspoon
instead of the tablespoon and it seemed to be the same as the vinegar. Is
the ratio for eggs less with Cream of Tartar? I figured it was about 1/8
tsp to one egg white.

2. I beat the eggs till firm and dry and let them warm up to room
temperature, not using any plastic and everything is clean. But why the
shrinkage?

3. I powdered my sugar and also used granular sugar. Both had the same
results. I measured out the two cups and THEN powdered it and came out with
about 3-3/4 cups. Is this the correct way to do this?

4. What will increasing or decreasing the sugar amounts do to a meringue?
This is a real mind bender to me.

5. How can I double the amount of volume of the cake? Would doubling the
portions per pan do this or will it just shrink anyway?

Thanks everyone, I guess I'm looking for scientific reasons for things that
explain the reasons for things.

BTW, why no salt in this recipe? Doesn't salt do something chemically?

Thanks again

Rich