Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
Scott Dorsey

Default Which brand has the most authentic green or white tea?

Mårten Nilsson > wrote:
>The European Unions common agricultural support policy gives grants to
>greek tobacco producers. The tobacco they produce is however not of
>the kind that is consumed in the western world and essentially unsellable.
>
>Therefore, a few years ago they tried to push it as an new and interresting
>vegetable! People who, as a part of their journalistic proffesion in
>general, tried
>tobacco sauce and tobacco sallad were not impressed. Greek tobacco is not
>on European dinner tables. So, where is it?

Here in Virginia, we also grow a lot of tobacco. The higher grade stuff
winds up in cigarettes and pipes, with lower grade tobaccos often winding
up in highly-flavoured cigars. But a lot of the worst tobacco is sold
for industrial applications. They extract the pure nicotine, which is
used as a pesticide.

I don't know where the tobacco used for making snuff comes from, but
I would not be surprised to hear that was another place where poorer
quality leaves wind up.

In the 18th century, tobacco was also used for all sorts of medicinal
purposes. Standard practice for a dislocated hip was to give a tobacco
enema, which would pretty much paralyze the whole area long enough for
the joint to be popped back into place.
--scott

"Yogurt and bean sprouts? That stuff causes cancer. Here, have a cigar.
It's the best thing you can put in your body."
-- physician in 2025, from the movie _Sleeper_