Posted to rec.food.historic
TOliver

Default Biscuit

"EastneyEnder" wrote:

> The currants that you think are in scones are very small dried grapes -
> "mini raisins" if you like. Which actually are not put in scones although
> may have been in past times - the overwhelming preference is for plump
> juicy
> raisins or sultanas. These days they are only seen in mincemmeat, rich
> fruit
> christmas cakes, and Eccles cakes.

.....Round here, East of the land of Fruits and Nuts, where raisins once were
set out to dry in the streets of Fresno, we're even seeing dried cranberries
in scones.

> Don't know where you got your scone impressions from, but s/he'd have been
> first against the wall in my view. Unless this is merely some anti-Brit
> propaganda, which I feel would be undeserved as we gave you the "biscuit"
> recipe in the first place. What you've done with it since is your own
> affair.

We're supportive of the UK and UKians, but become demonstrably out of
control when scullery scuts from the Scuttled Haisles commence to preaching
on biscuits with which they've been on a downhill run since Admiral Benbow
hauled down his flag and became a publican.

The cistern-chain pulling was so open, I had not the wit to include an irony
meter to advise you....

TMO