Posted to rec.food.cooking
Dan Abel

Default Stone Soup

My wife made stone soup on Sunday with the kids at church. It's kind of
a cute story:

Once upon a time, an itinerant traveler came upon a little village. He
was hungry, and asked if anyone would share some food with him. Food
was scarce, and although they all had food hidden away, they had none to
share. They told him that they had no food. He asked if they were
hungry, since they had no food. They admitted that they were. He
offered to feed the whole village. He had a magic stone. He asked for
a big soup kettle, water and a fire. He put the stone in the kettle.
People noticed that not much was happening. Somebody volunteered to put
in some meat, since it would just spoil otherwise. Others offered other
things. Pretty soon, the soup kettle was full of delicious soup. After
all the soup was consumed, the villagers realize that it was much more
healthy to eat this soup than try to live on the one thing they had
hoarded. The traveler retrieved his stone, for the next village.

On Saturday, my wife made a huge pot of vegetarian stock. She also made
bread dough and cookie dough. She bought salad makings. The kids
brought whatever for the soup. It was kind of a potluck soup.

After the service, the whole church ate the food.

--
Dan Abel

Petaluma, California, USA