Posted to rec.food.cooking
Dan Abel

Default Stone Soup

My wife made stone soup on Sunday with the kids at church. It's kind of
a cute story:

Once upon a time, an itinerant traveler came upon a little village. He
was hungry, and asked if anyone would share some food with him. Food
was scarce, and although they all had food hidden away, they had none to
share. They told him that they had no food. He asked if they were
hungry, since they had no food. They admitted that they were. He
offered to feed the whole village. He had a magic stone. He asked for
a big soup kettle, water and a fire. He put the stone in the kettle.
People noticed that not much was happening. Somebody volunteered to put
in some meat, since it would just spoil otherwise. Others offered other
things. Pretty soon, the soup kettle was full of delicious soup. After
all the soup was consumed, the villagers realize that it was much more
healthy to eat this soup than try to live on the one thing they had
hoarded. The traveler retrieved his stone, for the next village.

On Saturday, my wife made a huge pot of vegetarian stock. She also made
bread dough and cookie dough. She bought salad makings. The kids
brought whatever for the soup. It was kind of a potluck soup.

After the service, the whole church ate the food.

--
Dan Abel

Petaluma, California, USA
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In >, on 11/10/05
at 10:45 PM, Dan Abel > said:

>My wife made stone soup on Sunday with the kids at church. It's kind of
>a cute story:

>Once upon a time, an itinerant traveler came upon a little village. He
>was hungry, and asked if anyone would share some food with him. Food

>On Saturday, my wife made a huge pot of vegetarian stock. She also made
>bread dough and cookie dough. She bought salad makings. The kids
>brought whatever for the soup. It was kind of a potluck soup.

No stone? ;->

jim

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Andy

Dan Abel wrote:

> My wife made stone soup on Sunday with the kids at church. It's kind

of
> a cute story:
>

> Once upon a time, an itinerant traveler came upon a little village. He
> was hungry, and asked if anyone would share some food with him. Food
> was scarce, and although they all had food hidden away, they had none

> share. They told him that they had no food. He asked if they were
> hungry, since they had no food. They admitted that they were. He
> offered to feed the whole village. He had a magic stone. He asked for
> a big soup kettle, water and a fire. He put the stone in the kettle.
> People noticed that not much was happening. Somebody volunteered to

put
> in some meat, since it would just spoil otherwise. Others offered

other
> things. Pretty soon, the soup kettle was full of delicious soup.

After
> all the soup was consumed, the villagers realize that it was much more
> healthy to eat this soup than try to live on the one thing they had
> hoarded. The traveler retrieved his stone, for the next village.
>
> On Saturday, my wife made a huge pot of vegetarian stock. She also

made
> bread dough and cookie dough. She bought salad makings. The kids
> brought whatever for the soup. It was kind of a potluck soup.
>
> After the service, the whole church ate the food.

Dan,

Nice story!

There's a comic strip called "Stone Soup" and I always wondered what it
meant.

Thanks,

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Margaret Suran

Andy wrote:
> Dan Abel wrote:
>

>>My wife made stone soup on Sunday with the kids at church. It's kind

> of
>
>>a cute story:

*Story snipped*

>>On Saturday, my wife made a huge pot of vegetarian stock. She also

> made
>
>>bread dough and cookie dough. She bought salad makings. The kids
>>brought whatever for the soup. It was kind of a potluck soup.
>>
>>After the service, the whole church ate the food.

> Dan,
>
> Nice story!
>
> There's a comic strip called "Stone Soup" and I always wondered what it
> meant.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Andy

Jill once made Stone Soup and everybody on rfc could contribute
something to the soup. It was great fun. )

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Nancy Young

"Andy" <q> wrote

> Nice story!
>
> There's a comic strip called "Stone Soup" and I always wondered what it
> meant.

We made 'stone soup' once for a virtual cookin ...
it was really a 'clean out your refrigerator' soup.
Wound up with some good stuff as I recall.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Chris

"Dan Abel" > wrote in message
> My wife made stone soup on Sunday with the kids at church. It's kind of
> a cute story:

....snipped for brevity...

> On Saturday, my wife made a huge pot of vegetarian stock. She also made
> bread dough and cookie dough. She bought salad makings. The kids
> brought whatever for the soup. It was kind of a potluck soup.
>
> After the service, the whole church ate the food.

What a nice activity! The kiddos must have been so proud of their soup.

:-)

Chris

Posted to rec.food.cooking
dwãçôn

> wrote in message news:4374675a$1

> No stone? ;->

Sounds like stone soup would have lots of minerals...

--
I filled a lightbulb with helium and got enlightened
http://www.dwacon.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking
limey

"Nancy Young" wrote in message

> We made 'stone soup' once for a virtual cookin ...
> it was really a 'clean out your refrigerator' soup.
> Wound up with some good stuff as I recall.
>
> nancy

Yep, I remember - I donated an onion!

Dora

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Terry Pulliam Burd

On Fri, 11 Nov 2005 04:14:05 -0600, Andy <q> rummaged among random
neurons and opined:

>Nice story!
>
>There's a comic strip called "Stone Soup" and I always wondered what it
>meant.

Well, of course *you'd* know a comic strip called "Stone Soup"! <g>

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd
AAC(F)BV66.0748.CA

-- Duncan Hines

Posted to rec.food.cooking
sf

On Sat, 12 Nov 2005 19:07:41 -0800, Terry Pulliam Burd wrote:

> On Fri, 11 Nov 2005 04:14:05 -0600, Andy <q> rummaged among random
> neurons and opined:
>
> >Nice story!
> >
> >There's a comic strip called "Stone Soup" and I always wondered what it
> >meant.

> Well, of course *you'd* know a comic strip called "Stone Soup"! <g>

Jeeze... I didn't get the original post.

sf

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Ranee Mueller

In article >, Andy <q>
wrote:

> Dan,
>
> Nice story!
>
> There's a comic strip called "Stone Soup" and I always wondered what it
> meant.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Andy

Did you really grow up never hearing that story? I can't imagine.

Regards,
Ranee

Remove do not & spam to e-mail me.

http://arabianknits.blogspot.com/
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Andy

Ranee Mueller wrote:

> In article >, Andy <q>
> wrote:
>
>> Dan,
>>
>> Nice story!
>>
>> There's a comic strip called "Stone Soup" and I always wondered what

it
>> meant.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Andy

> Did you really grow up never hearing that story? I can't imagine.
>
> Regards,
> Ranee

Ranee,

Sad but true. It's a great story and that it actually happens is very
cool!

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Ranee Mueller

In article >, Andy <q>
wrote:

> Ranee,
>
> Sad but true. It's a great story and that it actually happens is very
> cool!
>
> Andy

It reminds me to make sure we tell the story to our kids. The
version I heard growing up was a little bit different than the version
Dan posted, but close enough.

Regards,
Ranee

Remove do not & spam to e-mail me.

http://arabianknits.blogspot.com/
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Tara

On Wed, 16 Nov 2005 16:33:13 -0800, Ranee Mueller
> wrote:

> It reminds me to make sure we tell the story to our kids. The
>version I heard growing up was a little bit different than the version
>Dan posted, but close enough.

Fewer and fewer kids know traditional stories -- folktales, fairy
tales, fables, Mother Goose, Peter Rabbit. They just don't hear them.
It's a shame; I think our society loses something when we don't share
stories and have that common language to draw from.

OB food: I remember a Peter Rabbit cookbook I checked out from the
library when I was maybe in first grade. It had a recipe for Mr.
McGregor's vegetable soup that contained shredded cabbage. We had
never put cabbage in vegetable soup before, but my mom made that
recipe for me and it was delicious.

Our first grade reading book contains the story "From Seeds to
Zucchini." I have never had a student who had tasted a zucchini, so
each year I bring a raw zucchini and let everyone taste it sliced and
dipped in ranch dressing. Some students are very skittish about
trying it. I tell everyone to try a tiny bite. Most like it after
trying it. Everything is good with ranch dressing!

Tara
Posted to rec.food.cooking
sf

On Wed, 16 Nov 2005 11:03:15 -0800, Ranee Mueller wrote:

> In article >, Andy <q>
> wrote:
>
> > Dan,
> >
> > Nice story!
> >
> > There's a comic strip called "Stone Soup" and I always wondered what it
> > meant.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Andy

> Did you really grow up never hearing that story? I can't imagine.
>
> Regards,
> Ranee

I didn't grow up with it, but I've known the story for so long that I
feel like I did.

What makes me wonder is the comic strip.... what the heck is that all
about? It's not in my newspaper as far as I know, so I guess it's
time for Andy to post one or two strips.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
sf

On Thu, 17 Nov 2005 01:09:44 GMT, Tara wrote:

> Our first grade reading book contains the story "From Seeds to
> Zucchini." I have never had a student who had tasted a zucchini, so
> each year I bring a raw zucchini and let everyone taste it sliced and
> dipped in ranch dressing. Some students are very skittish about
> trying it. I tell everyone to try a tiny bite. Most like it after
> trying it. Everything is good with ranch dressing!
>
> Tara

Where do you teach, Tara, and why don't I see you in k12.chat.teacher?

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sheldon

Tara wrote:

> Fewer and fewer kids know traditional stories -- folktales, fairy
> tales, fables, Mother Goose, Peter Rabbit. They just don't hear them.
> It's a shame; I think our society loses something when we don't share
> stories and have that common language to draw from.

http://whitewolf.newcastle.edu.au/wo...se/UncleRemus/

Brer Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sheldon

Nail Soup: A Swedish Folk Tale
(Retold by Harve Zemach, Follett Publishing, Chicago, 1964)

Once upon a time a tramp was making his way through a forest. He had
not seen a house for many an hour, and he wondered where he might find
shelter for the night. He thought to himself how nice it would be to
warm up in front of a fire, and to have some dinner. But the sun was
sinking, and there wasn't a cottage in sight.

Just then he met an old woman out gathering branches and twigs for
kindling. "Hello and good evening!" said the tramp, glad as he could be
to see her.

"Good evening," said the woman. "Where are you from?"

"Here and there, far and near," said the tramp. "I've seen the world,
and I'm on my way home."

Is that so?" said the woman. "And what is it you want hereabouts?"

"Well, I could use a place to stay for the night," he said.

"Just as I thought!" said the woman. "You had better keep on going, for
my house is not an inn."

"My dear woman," said the tramp, "it is shameful to be so hardhearted
and cross. We human beings are supposed to help each other when we
can."

"Help each other? There's a good joke. Who do you suppose will help me?
I haven't even got a scrap in the house! No, you'd better be on your
way," she said.

But the tramp did not give up so easily. The old woman kept on
complaining about her own troubles, and the tramp kept on urging and
arguing, until at last she said all right, he could sleep on the floor
if he wanted to.

He thanked her for her kindness. "Rather be warm on the hard floor,
than shiver and freeze outside the door," said he. This tramp had a
quick wit and was always ready with a rhyme.

As soon as he got inside the house, he could tell that the woman was
not as poor as she pretended to be, only stingy and greedy.

So he asked her in his most polite and pleasant manner for something to
eat.

"How do you think I can feed you when I haven't had a bit of food
myself all day long?" said the woman.

But the tramp knew better. He said: "Nothing all day long? Poor old
granny, you must be starving! Better lend me a pot, then, and I shall
make dinner for both of us."

"You'll make dinner!" said the woman. "How will you make dinner if
there isn't any food?"

"Leave it to me," said the tramp. "I've learned things on my travels
that most people have never even heard of."

The old woman wondered what it was all about, so she let him have a
pot.

He poured in some water, put it on the fire, and blew with all his
might to get the flame going strong. Then he took from his pocket an
ordinary nail, set it on the palm of his hand, turned it around three
times, and dropped it into the pot.

The woman watched the nail sink down to the bottom. "What's this going
to be?" she asked.

"Nail soup," said the tramp, and he began stirring the water with a
stick.

"Nail soup?" asked the woman.

"That's right, nail soup," said the tramp.

The old woman thought she had seen and heard just about everything in
her time, but making soup with a nail--well, that was something new!

"If you want to learn how to make it," said the tramp, "just watch me.
Then you won't ever again have to go all day without a bite." He went
on stirring the soup, and she watched as hard as she could.

"You know," he said, "I have been making soup with this same nail for
over a week, so our soup may be rather thin. Of course, if one had a
speck of flour or sifted oatmeal to add to it, then we could be sure of
a good meal. But," he said, "we'll have to do without it, and not think
twice about it." And he kept of stirring the soup.

"Wait, I might have some flour somewhere," said the old woman. She went
to fetch it, and it was the finest sort.

The tramp sprinkled the flour into the soup and kept on stirring, while
the woman stared first at him and then at the pot and then back at him
again.

"It's coming along," he said. "It's almost good enough to serve for
company. Add a few potatoes and a bit of salted beef, and it would be a
dish fit for gentlefolks," he said. "But we'll have to do without it,
and not think twice about it."

The old woman thought for a while, and then she remembered where she
might find some potatoes, and even a bit of beef. She got them and gave
them to the tramp, and he kept on stirring.

"This will be a grand soup," he said. "It's not everyone that gets to
taste such a grand soup as this!"

"You don't say!" said the woman. "Is that so! And just imagine--all
from a nail!"

"All it lacks now is a little barley and a drop of milk. Then we could
invite the king to have some, if we wanted to." said the tramp. "This
is what the king himself eats every evening--the king's cook told me
so."

"Dear me! The king himself!" cried the woman, slapping her knees.

"But we'll have to do without it, and not think twice about it," said
the tramp.

The woman went to look, and sure enough, she did have some barley; and
there was also milk, as much as was needed. The tramp stirred and
stirred and stirred. Then suddenly he stopped and fished out the nail
from the steaming kettle.

"It is ready," he said. "Now we'll have a feast, just like the king and
queen. Except, of course, when they eat this kind of soup, they always
have a sandwich with it, and wine. And a tablecloth on the table. But
we'll have to do without it, and not think twice about it."

Well, by this time the old woman was beginning to feel like quite a
grand lady. She thought that if the king and queen had it that way,
then she and the tramp might as well have it the same. She hurried to
the cupboard and got out the wine bottle, glasses, cheese, butter,
smoked beef and veal. The table could hardly hold it all.

Never in that old woman's life had she had such a good time, and never
had she tasted such rich soup--and to think that it was all from a
nail! They ate and they drank and they danced around the room, and then
they ate and drank some more. And when they finally got sleepy, and the
tramp was going to lie down on the floor, the old woman said: "No, no!
Such a person must have a bed to lie in."

"It's just like the sweet Christmas," said the tramp. "In all my
travels I have never met a nicer woman." And he lay down on the bed and
fell fast asleep.

When he got up the next morning, the old woman gave him coffee and a
bun. And before he said good-bye, she handed him a bright silver piece.
"And thank you for teaching me how to make soup with a nail," she said,
"because now that I know how, I shall always live in comfort."

"That's all right," said the tramp. "It's easy if you remember to add
something good to it."

Then the tramp went on his way, and the old woman stood at the door,
watching him go. "Such people don't grow on trees," she said.
---

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sheldon

Barscz Bialy (aka, Zurek)
(Polish Easter Soup)

This authentic Polish recipe was brought to the United States from
Krakow in the early 1900s by Agnes Kravitz, who settled in Northeastern
Pennsylvania and passed the "little bit of this, little bit of that"
recipe to her daughter Theodosia (Tess) Burke, who in turn passed the
love of it on to her own daughter in law, of Italian descent, Maria
Burke. Maria sent it to me, for which I shall always be grateful. It's
a rich and unusual soup--thickly white from milk and dark rye flour;
sour from fermenting the flour into traditional barscz kwaszony zytni
(the Russian kvass), tart from freshly grated horseradish, and highly
textured from chopped egg and smoked kielbasa and rye bread. Maria
says, "it's something you have to acquire a taste for, but once you do,
there's no substitute for it." As a converted addict, I agree. Serve
hot to 4-6 people on Easter morning...or whenever.

MAKING THE BARSCZ, 5-6 days before making the soup:
1/4 pound dark rye flour
4 cups warm water
Stir together in an ample container (ceramic is good) and set it aside
in a warm place, covered with a towel. I made mine in a big plastic
container, covered it with a potholder, and put it on the back of the
stove. The kitchen counter is also fine.) Stir once a day. The
fermentation and sour smell is a sign that it's getting good. After
making the soup, you can decant the clear liquid, refrigerate, and use
as a flavoring in other soups.
PREPARING THE CONDIMENTS, PER SERVING BOWL:

1 slice rye bread, torn into bits
1 hardboiled egg, chopped
1 4-inch piece of smoked kielbasa (Polish sausage), chopped
horseradish, freshly grated and mixed with a little vinegar
MAKING THE SOUP:

4 cups of water
1 egg
1 cup milk or buttermilk
1 cup Barscz--thoroughly mixed before measuring
salt and pepper
When you're ready to make the soup, bring a quart of water to a simmer
on the stove. Beat together the egg and milk, then slowly stir it into
the simmering pot. Turn up the heat a bit, let thicken, then slowly
pour in the barscz. Stir until it thickens to the consistency of watery
oatmeal or runny pea soup. Season well with salt and pepper. It should
smell sour.
FINAL ASSEMBLY:

When ready to serve, place the bread bits, chopped sausage and egg into
each bowl that you're serving. Ladle the Barscz soup over all, then
stir in horseradish to taste.
---

Sheldonski

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Andy

sf wrote:

> I didn't grow up with it, but I've known the story for so long that I
> feel like I did.
>
> What makes me wonder is the comic strip.... what the heck is that all
> about? It's not in my newspaper as far as I know, so I guess it's
> time for Andy to post one or two strips.

sf,

Here's a link to the Stone Soup comic strip with some background info.
Don't know how it relates to the story that was relayed here but
anyway...

http://www.ucomics.com/stonesoup/

All the best,

Andy

Posted to rec.food.cooking
biig

Tara wrote:

> On Wed, 16 Nov 2005 16:33:13 -0800, Ranee Mueller
> > wrote:
>
> > It reminds me to make sure we tell the story to our kids. The
> >version I heard growing up was a little bit different than the version
> >Dan posted, but close enough.

> Fewer and fewer kids know traditional stories -- folktales, fairy
> tales, fables, Mother Goose, Peter Rabbit. They just don't hear them.
> It's a shame; I think our society loses something when we don't share
> stories and have that common language to draw from.
>
> OB food: I remember a Peter Rabbit cookbook I checked out from the
> library when I was maybe in first grade. It had a recipe for Mr.
> McGregor's vegetable soup that contained shredded cabbage. We had
> never put cabbage in vegetable soup before, but my mom made that
> recipe for me and it was delicious.
>
> Our first grade reading book contains the story "From Seeds to
> Zucchini." I have never had a student who had tasted a zucchini, so
> each year I bring a raw zucchini and let everyone taste it sliced and
> dipped in ranch dressing. Some students are very skittish about
> trying it. I tell everyone to try a tiny bite. Most like it after
> trying it. Everything is good with ranch dressing!
>
> Tara

Oh Tara..was Mr McGregor the one with the Maggie Muggins character in
the book. I remember that from my childhood (late 40's - early 50's)
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Tara

On Wed, 16 Nov 2005 18:55:39 -0800, sf >
wrote:

>Where do you teach, Tara, and why don't I see you in k12.chat.teacher?

I teach near Atlanta. I taught first grade until this year. Now I
teach EIP (Early Intervention Program) reading and math to grades 2
through 5. I'll have to give the teacher newsgroup a look.

Tara
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Tara

On Thu, 17 Nov 2005 15:50:20 -0500, biig > wrote:

> Oh Tara..was Mr McGregor the one with the Maggie Muggins character in
>the book. I remember that from my childhood (late 40's - early 50's)

I don't know Maggie Muggins! Mr. McGregor is the farmer in Peter
Rabbit.

Tara
Posted to rec.food.cooking
maxine in ri

On Wed, 16 Nov 2005 18:52:40 -0800, sf >
connected the dots and wrote:

~On Wed, 16 Nov 2005 11:03:15 -0800, Ranee Mueller wrote:
~
~> In article >, Andy <q>
~> wrote:
~>
~> > Dan,
~> >
~> > Nice story!
~> >
[...]

Probably because they keep throwing this that and the other into the
mix, and end up with a family.

maxine in ri

Stone soup (sort of) Arri London General Cooking 1 22-01-2008 02:12 AM
Split Pea Soup Stone Removal Technique? Andy General Cooking 29 12-12-2005 03:54 AM
Stone soup project help KNIGHTLYDI General Cooking 7 10-10-2005 09:15 PM
Stone soup guide KNIGHTLYDI Vegan 3 10-10-2005 12:20 AM
Stone soup guide KNIGHTLYDI Mexican Cooking 0 09-10-2005 01:04 PM