Posted to rec.food.historic
Bob (this one)

Default Biscuit

Charles Gifford wrote:
> "Bob (this one)" > wrote
>
>>No, seriously...
>>
>>Pastorio

> I wish you had been.

Me too. It would have assumed I had the slightest notion of what I was
talking about. But here's some info:
<http://whatscookingamerica.net/History/CookieHistory.htm>
<http://www.readthewest.com/booksAnthologies.html>
<http://www.aaregistry.com/african_american_history/2676/Soul_Food_a_brief_history>

> It is an interesting subject with no definitive answer
> that I know of. The use of "biscuit" in non-American terms is pretty
> uniform.

Actually, in its incarnations in the various European languages, it
means many different things, some cooked twice some not. Zweiback in
German. Biscuit in French. Biscotto in Italian. Biscuit in English (for
cookies in the U.K. and different things in Oz.). And in usages like
seabiscuit for hardtack.

> American biscuits are, in some ways similar to scones, but lighter.
> I suspect two possibilities but have no reason to except "gut feeling" which
> is notoriously misleading.
>
> Having had an Irish mother, I have had some very light scones and light
> breads that could almost be called biscuits.

They're all quick breads, sharing the characteristics of the genre.

> Also, I see a lot of similarities between American biscuits and certain
> dumplings. Both in taste and texture.

Dumplings in the U.S. are steamed quick breads, generally cooked over a
simmering stew or soup. Sometimes made as a thick batter, and other
times and a soft dough.

> Many of American food names, including cookies, came from the Dutch.

Not too many came from dutch. Americans have cheerfully pillaged other
languages for names of things. And then with equal cheer changed them so
they bear scant resemblance to the originals.

> Perhaps
> there is a convoluted name twist here. Or perhaps, the Irish and Scottish
> immigrants in the south simply 1) changed the meanings as time passes or 2)
> followed some antiquated language usage which is a common thread with these
> people.....many American English constructs are old styles that differ from
> modern British English.
>
> I think not. So let me suggest a third possibility, with your indulgence:
> The name cookie (Dutch) having been well established in America, we have a
> loose cannon in the term "biscuit". We have Irish scones and dumplings. We
> are using a simple recipe, easy to make and quite variable as to contents.
> What to call 'em?
>
> As far as I am aware, no other cuisine makes anything identical to American
> biscuits. Similar sure, identical...no. But wait! American biscuits are
> eaten just like scones and also are used exactly like dumplings!

Actually they aren't often eaten like scones. They rarely are something
to nibble with tea. Generally, they're part of a meal. Your meaning for
dumpling is at odds with the American usage.

> Holy Crap! It is those Netherlanders again! Oh, and along with American
> contrary inventiveness too. Both helped change Irish immigrant food to a new
> art form with a borrowed name.

I'm skeptical about that. The Dutch influence in American cuisine is all
but invisible. Likewise Scots or Irish. Scots made oat cakes on
griddles. Biscuits are oven-baked. There's some conjecture that they
came out of plantation cooking and were an invention/adaptation, in the
specific, of slave cooks.

> I'm just speculating idly here, so feel free to cut my hawsers. The OED
> won't be of much help here I think. An American food with a borrowed name
> not in use in America. Why? Dunno really. It works though. Unlike the
> American use of pants when they mean trousers.

We also say pants when we mean breathing rapidly.

Those wacky Americans...

Pastorio