Melba's Jammin'

Default Heinz Chili Sauce - Clone Recipe?

In article >, "Sam D."
> wrote:

> I've searched the net and come up empty handed. Anyone out there have a
> recipe that comes reasonably close to Heinz Chili Sauce?

From the Ball canning site <www.homecanning.com>:

Spicy Chili Sauce

Ingredients
4 quarts chopped, peeled, cored tomatoes (about 24 large)
1 1/2 cups chopped sweet green peppers (about 3 medium)
2 cups chopped onions (about 2 medium)
1 1/2 cups cider vinegar, 5% acidity
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 tablespoon salt
1 tablespoon celery seed
1 teaspoon ginger
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon allspice
1 teaspoon cloves

Instructions
Prepare Ball brand or Kerr brand jars and closures according to
instructions found in Canning Basics.
Combine all ingredients in a large saucepot. Bring to boiling; simmer
until desired consistency, about 1 to 2 hours. Stir frequently to
prevent sticking. Carefully ladle hot sauce into hot jars, leaving
1/4-inch headspace. Wipe jar rim clean. Place lid on jar with sealing
compound next to glass. Screw band down evenly and firmly just until a
point of resistance is met - fingertip tight.
Process 15 minutes in a boiling-water canner.
Yield: about 6 pints.
Note: Chili sauce is not a bright red color because ground spices are
used.
For altitude adjustment increase processing as indicated below:
1,001 * 3,000 ftŠŠŠ...5 minutes
3,001 * 6,000 ftŠŠŠ.10 minutes
6,001 * 8,000 ftŠŠŠ.15 minutes
8,001 * 10,000 ftŠŠ...20 minutes