Sam D.

Default Heinz Chili Sauce - Clone Recipe?

I've searched the net and come up empty handed. Anyone out there have a
recipe that comes reasonably close to Heinz Chili Sauce?

Melba's Jammin'

In article >, "Sam D."
> wrote:

> I've searched the net and come up empty handed. Anyone out there have a
> recipe that comes reasonably close to Heinz Chili Sauce?

From the Ball canning site <www.homecanning.com>:

Spicy Chili Sauce

Ingredients
4 quarts chopped, peeled, cored tomatoes (about 24 large)
1 1/2 cups chopped sweet green peppers (about 3 medium)
2 cups chopped onions (about 2 medium)
1 1/2 cups cider vinegar, 5% acidity
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 tablespoon salt
1 tablespoon celery seed
1 teaspoon ginger
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon allspice
1 teaspoon cloves

Instructions
Prepare Ball brand or Kerr brand jars and closures according to
instructions found in Canning Basics.
Combine all ingredients in a large saucepot. Bring to boiling; simmer
until desired consistency, about 1 to 2 hours. Stir frequently to
prevent sticking. Carefully ladle hot sauce into hot jars, leaving
1/4-inch headspace. Wipe jar rim clean. Place lid on jar with sealing
compound next to glass. Screw band down evenly and firmly just until a
point of resistance is met - fingertip tight.
Process 15 minutes in a boiling-water canner.
Yield: about 6 pints.
Note: Chili sauce is not a bright red color because ground spices are
used.
For altitude adjustment increase processing as indicated below:
1,001 * 3,000 ftŠŠŠ...5 minutes
3,001 * 6,000 ftŠŠŠ.10 minutes
6,001 * 8,000 ftŠŠŠ.15 minutes
8,001 * 10,000 ftŠŠ...20 minutes
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> updated 2-19-04 -- Dufus picture posted!
zxcvbob

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In article >, "Sam D."
> > wrote:
>

>>I've searched the net and come up empty handed. Anyone out there have a
>>recipe that comes reasonably close to Heinz Chili Sauce?

> From the Ball canning site <www.homecanning.com>:
>
> Spicy Chili Sauce
>
> Ingredients
> 4 quarts chopped, peeled, cored tomatoes (about 24 large)
> 1 1/2 cups chopped sweet green peppers (about 3 medium)
> 2 cups chopped onions (about 2 medium)
> 1 1/2 cups cider vinegar, 5% acidity
> 1 1/2 cups sugar
> 1 tablespoon salt
> 1 tablespoon celery seed
> 1 teaspoon ginger
> 1 teaspoon cinnamon
> 1 teaspoon allspice
> 1 teaspoon cloves
>
> Instructions
> Prepare Ball brand or Kerr brand jars and closures according to
> instructions found in Canning Basics.
> Combine all ingredients in a large saucepot. Bring to boiling; simmer
> until desired consistency, about 1 to 2 hours. Stir frequently to
> prevent sticking. Carefully ladle hot sauce into hot jars, leaving
> 1/4-inch headspace. Wipe jar rim clean. Place lid on jar with sealing
> compound next to glass. Screw band down evenly and firmly just until a
> point of resistance is met - fingertip tight.
> Process 15 minutes in a boiling-water canner.
> Yield: about 6 pints.
> Note: Chili sauce is not a bright red color because ground spices are
> used.
> For altitude adjustment increase processing as indicated below:
> 1,001 * 3,000 ftŠŠŠ...5 minutes
> 3,001 * 6,000 ftŠŠŠ.10 minutes
> 6,001 * 8,000 ftŠŠŠ.15 minutes
> 8,001 * 10,000 ftŠŠ...20 minutes

You can make it a lot redder and reduce the cooking time by adding a small
can of commercial tomato sauce or paste.

Homemade "chili sauce" comes a lot closer to the commercial product than
homemade ketchup does.

Don't ask me why they call this "chili sauce" when it is just a ketchup
with extra bell pepper and onion in it.

Best regards,
Bob
kalanamak

"Sam D." wrote:

> I've searched the net and come up empty handed. Anyone out there have a
> recipe that comes reasonably close to Heinz Chili Sauce?

Ahh, the memories. The most "junkfood" thing my mother made us was
something called lumberjack:
hot pasta shells folded with shredded sharp cheddar and Heinz chili
sauce, served luckwarm. It was the "strongest" tasting, saltiest thing
she gave us.
blacksalt