Posted to rec.food.preserving
Kathi Jones

Default Survival hardtack

"zxcvbob" > wrote in message
> Jim wrote:
> > On Sat, 22 Oct 2005 11:02:47 -0500, George Shirley
> > > wrote:
> >

> >>I've never eaten MRE's but some folks tell me they're pretty good. I ate
> >>

> > You would never eat one if you ever read the "ingredients". Carnuba
> > Wax, petroleum derivatives, a chemical list that looks like a W.H.
> > Curtin catalog, etc. "Better Living Through Chemistry". I think most
> > are made by a Texas outfit called "Wornick".
> >
> > No wonder our troops are coming back with huge disability rates, it's
> > a well kept media coverup.
> >
> > Well, if you don't like the flavor you can always polish your Jeep
> > with the junk.
> >

> What's wrong with carnauba wax?
>
> -Bob

nothing, if it's being used for car polish....see
http://www.botgard.ucla.edu/html/bot...ny/Copernicia/

"There are a thousand and one uses for carnauba wax, but you are most likely
to hear about it as the principal ingredient in fine car polishes, even
applied as a spray at the car wash. Carnauba is also important for the best
furniture polishes, as for hardwood floors, but can be found as coating on
dental floss, disposible cups and plates, even lipstick. "

doesn't sound like something you'd 'want' to eat...;-P.

Still, I wondered myself so.....
I Googled carnuaba wax just out of curiosity, and the first 7 hits were for
car polish/wax. the 8th was food applications....
What are the uses of carnauba wax? from
http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/heal...rnaubawax.html

"It is used as a formulation aid, lubricant, release agent, and surface
finishing agent in baked foods and mixes, chewing gum, confections,
frostings, fresh fruits and juices, gravies, sauces, processed fruits and
juices and soft candy.

Its chemical structure consists of normal saturated fatty acids and normal
saturated primary alcohols."

I prolly eat it all the time, just never thought about it....

yuck,

Kathi ;-)