The Joneses

Default Survival hardtack

I think this is something near what we do. I don't know if I'll ever
*need* this stuff, but I don't need those cases of jam either. And
pickled b**ts are nice, but not essential. In thinking about
saving/preserving food for disasters, I've googled up a few recipes
for hardtack crackers. I can buy canned meat, but bread was a little
more difficult. In the Army, the c-ration crackers were not too bad,
if sorta tasteless. My goal is to make a long storing thick cracker
that tastes good. I will vacuum seal them. Maybe some with cinnamon,
some with garlic salt, I dunno, but I'm thinking... Egg, cheeses,
herbs, chocolate.
I don't really want to take this to rec.food.survivinghurricanes
or rec.food.disasters because it's really just a sort of cooking hobby
thing. Or is it?
Any thoughts?
Edrena

William R. Watt

If you look on my website under "Food" you can see a recipe for a
vegetarian pemmican I invented for myself to take on outings: boating and
cycling and such. I make up a big batch every few months and keep it in
the cupboard in old plastic peanut butter jars until I need it. It's like
trail mix ony cheap and unlike hard tack it's soft and eaten with a spoon.
It's made of things that don't require preserving or refridgeration so
should keep indefinitely. Vacuum bagging should be good.

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm
Julie Bove

"The Joneses" > wrote in message
> I think this is something near what we do. I don't know if I'll ever
> *need* this stuff, but I don't need those cases of jam either. And
> pickled b**ts are nice, but not essential. In thinking about
> saving/preserving food for disasters, I've googled up a few recipes
> for hardtack crackers. I can buy canned meat, but bread was a little
> more difficult. In the Army, the c-ration crackers were not too bad,
> if sorta tasteless. My goal is to make a long storing thick cracker
> that tastes good. I will vacuum seal them. Maybe some with cinnamon,
> some with garlic salt, I dunno, but I'm thinking... Egg, cheeses,
> herbs, chocolate.
> I don't really want to take this to rec.food.survivinghurricanes
> or rec.food.disasters because it's really just a sort of cooking hobby
> thing. Or is it?
> Any thoughts?

I've never actually tried hardtack, but from what I've read about it, it was
not tasty at all. The very things that kept it from spoiling are the very
things that meant it had no taste. I don't know that much about vacuum
sealing. Would that keep the crackers crisp?

--
See my webpage:

George Shirley

Julie Bove wrote:

> "The Joneses" > wrote in message
>
>>I think this is something near what we do. I don't know if I'll ever
>>*need* this stuff, but I don't need those cases of jam either. And
>>pickled b**ts are nice, but not essential. In thinking about
>>saving/preserving food for disasters, I've googled up a few recipes
>>for hardtack crackers. I can buy canned meat, but bread was a little
>>more difficult. In the Army, the c-ration crackers were not too bad,
>>if sorta tasteless. My goal is to make a long storing thick cracker
>>that tastes good. I will vacuum seal them. Maybe some with cinnamon,
>>some with garlic salt, I dunno, but I'm thinking... Egg, cheeses,
>>herbs, chocolate.
>> I don't really want to take this to rec.food.survivinghurricanes
>>or rec.food.disasters because it's really just a sort of cooking hobby
>>thing. Or is it?
>> Any thoughts?

> I've never actually tried hardtack, but from what I've read about it, it was
> not tasty at all. The very things that kept it from spoiling are the very
> things that meant it had no taste. I don't know that much about vacuum
> sealing. Would that keep the crackers crisp?

I've never eaten MRE's but some folks tell me they're pretty good. I ate
C-rations for years though and liked most of the selections including
the canned hardtack along with the canned jelly and peanut butter plus
the 90 year old cheese, etc.

Makes me wonder how modern GI's take field expediency baths, shave, and
cook stolen chickens and eggs in those kevlar helmets. The old steel
pots (helmets) had multiple uses for us old soldiers. Bet Mamselle Jones
"old whiskers" knows what I'm talking about. <VBG>

George

The Joneses

Julie Bove wrote:

> "The Joneses" > wrote in message
> > I think this is something near what we do. ... In thinking about
> > saving/preserving food for disasters, I've googled up a few recipes
> > for hardtack crackers. ... My goal is to make a long storing thick cracker
> > that tastes good. I will vacuum seal them. ...
> > Any thoughts?

> I've never actually tried hardtack, but from what I've read about it, it was
> not tasty at all. The very things that kept it from spoiling are the very
> things that meant it had no taste. I don't know that much about vacuum
> sealing. Would that keep the crackers crisp?

The old bums never *tried* to make it tasty. Yeah, I think it would stay crispy
because of no moisture laden air. What with new technology of freeze drying, a
cracker with dried powdered herbs, onions, & garlic might be tasty. Or dried
cocoa and cinnamon, with a bit of extra (vanilla?) sugar. I wanted a cracker
with more to it than a saltine, more like ceramic tile (gg). OTH, the new
flavored pretzels might just solve my idea for me...
Edrena

The Joneses

George Shirley wrote:

> Julie Bove wrote:
>
> > "The Joneses" > wrote in message
> >
> >>I think this is something near what we do. I don't know if I'll ever
> >>*need* this stuff, but I don't need those cases of jam either. And
> >>pickled b**ts are nice, but not essential. In thinking about
> >>saving/preserving food for disasters, I've googled up a few recipes
> >>for hardtack crackers. I can buy canned meat, but bread was a little
> >>more difficult. In the Army, the c-ration crackers were not too bad,
> >>if sorta tasteless. My goal is to make a long storing thick cracker
> >>that tastes good. I will vacuum seal them. Maybe some with cinnamon,
> >>some with garlic salt, I dunno, but I'm thinking... Egg, cheeses,
> >>herbs, chocolate.
> >> I don't really want to take this to rec.food.survivinghurricanes
> >>or rec.food.disasters because it's really just a sort of cooking hobby
> >>thing. Or is it?
> >> Any thoughts?

> > I've never actually tried hardtack, but from what I've read about it, it was
> > not tasty at all. The very things that kept it from spoiling are the very
> > things that meant it had no taste. I don't know that much about vacuum
> > sealing. Would that keep the crackers crisp?
> >

> I've never eaten MRE's but some folks tell me they're pretty good. I ate
> C-rations for years though and liked most of the selections including
> the canned hardtack along with the canned jelly and peanut butter plus
> the 90 year old cheese, etc.
>
> Makes me wonder how modern GI's take field expediency baths, shave, and
> cook stolen chickens and eggs in those kevlar helmets. The old steel
> pots (helmets) had multiple uses for us old soldiers. Bet Mamselle Jones
> "old whiskers" knows what I'm talking about. <VBG>
>
> George

Took many a "bird bath" in my tinpot. Once made a passable c-ration stew also.
After we got kevlar, I put a heavish tin basin in my gear - and a wooden spoon.
Ol'Whiskerface just didn't bathe I think (g). All that dripping water in the
jungle, y'know.
Edrena

Loki

On Sat, 22 Oct 2005 16:03:06 GMT, The Joneses >
wrote:

>Julie Bove wrote:
>
>> "The Joneses" > wrote in message
>> > I think this is something near what we do. ... In thinking about
>> > saving/preserving food for disasters, I've googled up a few recipes
>> > for hardtack crackers. ... My goal is to make a long storing thick cracker
>> > that tastes good. I will vacuum seal them. ...
>> > Any thoughts?

>> I've never actually tried hardtack, but from what I've read about it, it was
>> not tasty at all. The very things that kept it from spoiling are the very
>> things that meant it had no taste. I don't know that much about vacuum
>> sealing. Would that keep the crackers crisp?

>The old bums never *tried* to make it tasty. Yeah, I think it would stay crispy
>because of no moisture laden air. What with new technology of freeze drying, a
>cracker with dried powdered herbs, onions, & garlic might be tasty. Or dried
>cocoa and cinnamon, with a bit of extra (vanilla?) sugar. I wanted a cracker
>with more to it than a saltine, more like ceramic tile (gg). OTH, the new
>flavored pretzels might just solve my idea for me...
>Edrena

When we were in high school, one of our group decided to try some
Civil War re-enactment. He got the clothes and we tried our best to
provide authentic hardtack. We found an old recipe from that era and
made it according to the directions.

It was awful. Beyond awful. It was so hard you had to soak it in
liquid to make it edible.

That's what it was too. We'd evidently made it correctly.

You don't want authentic hardtack, that's for sure.

Loki

The Joneses

Loki wrote:

> On Sat, 22 Oct 2005 16:03:06 GMT, The Joneses >
> wrote:
>
> >Julie Bove wrote:

> >> I've never actually tried hardtack, but from what I've read about it, it was
> >> not tasty at all. The very things that kept it from spoiling are the very
> >> things that meant it had no taste. I don't know that much about vacuum
> >> sealing. Would that keep the crackers crisp?

> >The old bums never *tried* to make it tasty. Yeah, I think it would stay crispy
> >because of no moisture laden air. What with new technology of freeze drying, a
> >cracker with dried powdered herbs, onions, & garlic might be tasty. Or dried
> >cocoa and cinnamon, with a bit of extra (vanilla?) sugar. I wanted a cracker
> >with more to it than a saltine, more like ceramic tile (gg). OTH, the new
> >flavored pretzels might just solve my idea for me...

> When we were in high school, one of our group decided to try some
> Civil War re-enactment. He got the clothes and we tried our best to
> provide authentic hardtack. We found an old recipe from that era and
> made it according to the directions.
> It was awful. Beyond awful. It was so hard you had to soak it in
> liquid to make it edible.
> That's what it was too. We'd evidently made it correctly.
> You don't want authentic hardtack, that's for sure.
> Loki

No, I think a "modern" or updated hardtack is what I'm looking for. Soaking in water
is not such a bad thing, but I may try for a teensy bit softer effect. It might be
better to go for the thin cracker thickness rather than thick like a brick. At least
one could get one's mouth around it without taking out one's store teeth.
Edrena, good thing I still got my own.

Brian Mailman

Loki wrote:

> On Sat, 22 Oct 2005 16:03:06 GMT, The Joneses >
> wrote:
>
>>Julie Bove wrote:

>>> I've never actually tried hardtack, but from what I've read about it, it was
>>> not tasty at all. The very things that kept it from spoiling are the very
>>> things that meant it had no taste. I don't know that much about vacuum
>>> sealing. Would that keep the crackers crisp?

>>The old bums never *tried* to make it tasty. Yeah, I think it would stay crispy
>>because of no moisture laden air. What with new technology of freeze drying, a
>>cracker with dried powdered herbs, onions, & garlic might be tasty. Or dried
>>cocoa and cinnamon, with a bit of extra (vanilla?) sugar. I wanted a cracker
>>with more to it than a saltine, more like ceramic tile (gg). OTH, the new
>>flavored pretzels might just solve my idea for me...
>>Edrena

> When we were in high school, one of our group decided to try some
> Civil War re-enactment. He got the clothes and we tried our best to
> provide authentic hardtack. We found an old recipe from that era and
> made it according to the directions.

You can obtain a pamphlet (actually probably more of a pamph) of Civil
War recipes at Grant's Tomb in NYC.

> It was awful. Beyond awful. It was so hard you had to soak it in
> liquid to make it edible.
> That's what it was too. We'd evidently made it correctly.

Yep, sounds like it. Back in the days when rfc was doing "exchanges" I
wound up with someone from Nova Scotia and that's what they sent. Along
with dried cod, maple syrup, and salt pork. Apparently, you were
supposed to soak the hardtack and cod, boil them together and top with
the cubed-up-and-fried salt pork and finish with the maple syrup.

We didn't.

That was maybe 12 years ago and I'm sure the hardtack is still somewhere
around.

B/
George Shirley

Loki wrote:
> On Sat, 22 Oct 2005 16:03:06 GMT, The Joneses >
> wrote:
>

>>Julie Bove wrote:

>>>I've never actually tried hardtack, but from what I've read about it, it was
>>>not tasty at all. The very things that kept it from spoiling are the very
>>>things that meant it had no taste. I don't know that much about vacuum
>>>sealing. Would that keep the crackers crisp?

>>The old bums never *tried* to make it tasty. Yeah, I think it would stay crispy
>>because of no moisture laden air. What with new technology of freeze drying, a
>>cracker with dried powdered herbs, onions, & garlic might be tasty. Or dried
>>cocoa and cinnamon, with a bit of extra (vanilla?) sugar. I wanted a cracker
>>with more to it than a saltine, more like ceramic tile (gg). OTH, the new
>>flavored pretzels might just solve my idea for me...
>>Edrena

> When we were in high school, one of our group decided to try some
> Civil War re-enactment. He got the clothes and we tried our best to
> provide authentic hardtack. We found an old recipe from that era and
> made it according to the directions.
>
> It was awful. Beyond awful. It was so hard you had to soak it in
> liquid to make it edible.
>
> That's what it was too. We'd evidently made it correctly.
>
> You don't want authentic hardtack, that's for sure.
>
> Loki

High school! I WAS a reenactor from 1961 to 1965 and was First Sergeant
of the Sabine Vedettes (vedettes are dismounted cavalry, none of us had
a horse) and we were all using original Civil War era guns but our wives
made the uniforms. Rowdy looking bunch of rebels I can tell you.

We got our hardtack out of C-ration packages but all the other food was
cooked on the spot and often killed just before cooking. Yumm, road kill
chili.

George, obviously enjoying this thread

George Shirley

The Joneses wrote:

> Loki wrote:
>

>>On Sat, 22 Oct 2005 16:03:06 GMT, The Joneses >
>>wrote:

>>>The old bums never *tried* to make it tasty. Yeah, I think it would stay crispy
>>>because of no moisture laden air. What with new technology of freeze drying, a
>>>cracker with dried powdered herbs, onions, & garlic might be tasty. Or dried
>>>cocoa and cinnamon, with a bit of extra (vanilla?) sugar. I wanted a cracker
>>>with more to it than a saltine, more like ceramic tile (gg). OTH, the new
>>>flavored pretzels might just solve my idea for me...

>>When we were in high school, one of our group decided to try some
>>Civil War re-enactment. He got the clothes and we tried our best to
>>provide authentic hardtack. We found an old recipe from that era and
>>made it according to the directions.
>>It was awful. Beyond awful. It was so hard you had to soak it in
>>liquid to make it edible.
>>That's what it was too. We'd evidently made it correctly.
>>You don't want authentic hardtack, that's for sure.
>>Loki

> No, I think a "modern" or updated hardtack is what I'm looking for. Soaking in water
> is not such a bad thing, but I may try for a teensy bit softer effect. It might be
> better to go for the thin cracker thickness rather than thick like a brick. At least
> one could get one's mouth around it without taking out one's store teeth.
> Edrena, good thing I still got my own.

My wife has a recipe for tasty homemade multigrain crackers around here
Edrena. You want me to post it?

George

The Joneses

George Shirley wrote:

> The Joneses wrote:
>
> > Loki wrote:

> >>When we were in high school, one of our group decided to try some
> >>Civil War re-enactment. He got the clothes and we tried our best to
> >>provide authentic hardtack. We found an old recipe from that era and
> >>made it according to the directions.
> >>It was awful. Beyond awful. It was so hard you had to soak it in
> >>liquid to make it edible.
> >>That's what it was too. We'd evidently made it correctly.
> >>You don't want authentic hardtack, that's for sure.
> >>Loki

> > No, I think a "modern" or updated hardtack is what I'm looking for. Soaking in water
> > is not such a bad thing, but I may try for a teensy bit softer effect. It might be
> > better to go for the thin cracker thickness rather than thick like a brick. At least
> > one could get one's mouth around it without taking out one's store teeth.
> > Edrena, good thing I still got my own.
> >

> My wife has a recipe for tasty homemade multigrain crackers around here
> Edrena. You want me to post it?
>
> George

Yeehaaw! Would be just the thing George. Thank Miz Anne for me!
Edrena, whose DS (darling son, not dips***), survived Wilma just fine down in Miami Beach.

The Joneses

George Shirley wrote:

> Loki wrote:
> > On Sat, 22 Oct 2005 16:03:06 GMT, The Joneses >
> > wrote:

> >>The old bums never *tried* to make it tasty. Yeah, I think it would stay crispy
> >>because of no moisture laden air. What with new technology of freeze drying, a
> >>cracker with dried powdered herbs, onions, & garlic might be tasty. Or dried
> >>cocoa and cinnamon, with a bit of extra (vanilla?) sugar. I wanted a cracker
> >>with more to it than a saltine, more like ceramic tile (gg). OTH, the new
> >>flavored pretzels might just solve my idea for me...
> >>Edrena

> > When we were in high school, one of our group decided to try some
> > Civil War re-enactment. He got the clothes and we tried our best to
> > provide authentic hardtack. We found an old recipe from that era and
> > made it according to the directions.
> >
> > It was awful. Beyond awful. It was so hard you had to soak it in
> > liquid to make it edible.
> >
> > That's what it was too. We'd evidently made it correctly.
> >
> > You don't want authentic hardtack, that's for sure.
> >
> > Loki
> >

> High school! I WAS a reenactor from 1961 to 1965 and was First Sergeant
> of the Sabine Vedettes (vedettes are dismounted cavalry, none of us had
> a horse) and we were all using original Civil War era guns but our wives
> made the uniforms. Rowdy looking bunch of rebels I can tell you.
>
> We got our hardtack out of C-ration packages but all the other food was
> cooked on the spot and often killed just before cooking. Yumm, road kill
> chili.
>
> George, obviously enjoying this thread

I made that tonight. Rode to the store and bought some killed and cubed beef. Can ea
beans (!), toms, tom sauce, hominy, and homemade red sauce from the freezer. Fresh
onion, garlic, etc.
Edrena

BinaryBill

"Loki" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 22 Oct 2005 16:03:06 GMT, The Joneses >
> wrote:
>
>>Julie Bove wrote:

>>> I've never actually tried hardtack, but from what I've read about it, it
>>> was
>>> not tasty at all. The very things that kept it from spoiling are the
>>> very
>>> things that meant it had no taste. I don't know that much about vacuum
>>> sealing. Would that keep the crackers crisp?

>>The old bums never *tried* to make it tasty. Yeah, I think it would stay
>>crispy
>>because of no moisture laden air. What with new technology of freeze
>>drying, a
>>cracker with dried powdered herbs, onions, & garlic might be tasty. Or
>>dried
>>cocoa and cinnamon, with a bit of extra (vanilla?) sugar. I wanted a
>>cracker
>>with more to it than a saltine, more like ceramic tile (gg). OTH, the new
>>flavored pretzels might just solve my idea for me...
>>Edrena

> When we were in high school, one of our group decided to try some
> Civil War re-enactment. He got the clothes and we tried our best to
> provide authentic hardtack. We found an old recipe from that era and
> made it according to the directions.
>
> It was awful. Beyond awful. It was so hard you had to soak it in
> liquid to make it edible.
>
> That's what it was too. We'd evidently made it correctly.
>
> You don't want authentic hardtack, that's for sure.
>
> Loki

Here's something I found on the internet:
HARDTACK

Probably the one, first, and most requested recipie, is for hardtack (also
known as 'tack, ironplate biscuits, army bread, and other colorful names).
From the 1862 US Army book of recipes, is one that is guaranteed to keep
your dentist happy with bridge and upper plate work, and not to satisfy your
culinary hunger. But these actually work and stay fresh for eons.

* 5 Cups Flour (unbleached)
* 1 Tablespoon Baking Powder
* 1 Tablespoon Salt
* 1-1 1/4 cups Water
* Preheated Oven to 450

In a bowl, combine the ingredients to form a stiff, but not dry dough. The
dough should be pliable, but not stick a lot to your hands.

Take this mound of dough, and flatten it out onto a greased cookee sheet
(the ones with a small lip around the edge...like a real shallow pan...),
and roll the dough into a flat sheet aprx. 1/2 inch thick.

Using a breadknife, divide the dough into 3x3 squares. taking a 10-penny
nail, put a 3x3 matrix of holes into the surface of the dough, all the way
thru, at even intervals (Village tinsmithing works sells a cutter that does
all of this...works great!).

Bake in the oven for aprx 20 Min., till lightly browned. Take out and let
cool.

Do this the day before your go on the field, and your will have enough tack
to fill your haversack. It will be somewhat soft on Saturday morning, but,
by Sunday, you should soak it in your coffee before eating, else you will
have a hard time chewing.

The Joneses

BinaryBill wrote:

> Clipped discussion so far.
> Here's something I found on the internet:
> HARDTACK
>
> Probably the one, first, and most requested recipie, is for hardtack (also
> known as 'tack, ironplate biscuits, army bread, and other colorful names).
> From the 1862 US Army book of recipes, is one that is guaranteed to keep
> your dentist happy with bridge and upper plate work, and not to satisfy your
> culinary hunger. But these actually work and stay fresh for eons.
>
> * 5 Cups Flour (unbleached)
> * 1 Tablespoon Baking Powder
> * 1 Tablespoon Salt
> * 1-1 1/4 cups Water
> * Preheated Oven to 450
>
> In a bowl, combine the ingredients to form a stiff, but not dry dough. The
>
> dough should be pliable, but not stick a lot to your hands.
> Take this mound of dough, and flatten it out onto a greased cookee sheet
> (the ones with a small lip around the edge...like a real shallow pan...),
> and roll the dough into a flat sheet aprx. 1/2 inch thick.
> Using a breadknife, divide the dough into 3x3 squares. taking a 10-penny
> nail, put a 3x3 matrix of holes into the surface of the dough, all the way
> thru, at even intervals (Village tinsmithing works sells a cutter that does
> all of this...works great!).
> Bake in the oven for aprx 20 Min., till lightly browned. Take out and let
> cool.
> Do this the day before your go on the field, and your will have enough
> tack
> to fill your haversack. It will be somewhat soft on Saturday morning, but,
> by Sunday, you should soak it in your coffee before eating, else you will
> have a hard time chewing.

This is very similar to the ones I saw. What kind of flavorings do think will
keep and make it better?
Edrena

William R. Watt

"BinaryBill" ) writes:

> by Sunday, you should soak it in your coffee before eating, else you will
> have a hard time chewing.

When you consider the condition of peoples' teeth in ancient times, those
that had any, you have to wonder how they survived the stuff. My grandpap
had to gum his food.

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm
George Shirley

The Joneses wrote:
> BinaryBill wrote:
>

>>Clipped discussion so far.
>>Here's something I found on the internet:
>>HARDTACK
>>
>>Probably the one, first, and most requested recipie, is for hardtack (also
>>known as 'tack, ironplate biscuits, army bread, and other colorful names).
>>From the 1862 US Army book of recipes, is one that is guaranteed to keep
>>your dentist happy with bridge and upper plate work, and not to satisfy your
>>culinary hunger. But these actually work and stay fresh for eons.
>>
>> * 5 Cups Flour (unbleached)
>> * 1 Tablespoon Baking Powder
>> * 1 Tablespoon Salt
>> * 1-1 1/4 cups Water
>> * Preheated Oven to 450
>>
>> In a bowl, combine the ingredients to form a stiff, but not dry dough. The
>>
>>dough should be pliable, but not stick a lot to your hands.
>> Take this mound of dough, and flatten it out onto a greased cookee sheet
>>(the ones with a small lip around the edge...like a real shallow pan...),
>>and roll the dough into a flat sheet aprx. 1/2 inch thick.
>> Using a breadknife, divide the dough into 3x3 squares. taking a 10-penny
>>nail, put a 3x3 matrix of holes into the surface of the dough, all the way
>>thru, at even intervals (Village tinsmithing works sells a cutter that does
>>all of this...works great!).
>> Bake in the oven for aprx 20 Min., till lightly browned. Take out and let
>>cool.
>> Do this the day before your go on the field, and your will have enough
>>tack
>>to fill your haversack. It will be somewhat soft on Saturday morning, but,
>>by Sunday, you should soak it in your coffee before eating, else you will
>>have a hard time chewing.
>>

> This is very similar to the ones I saw. What kind of flavorings do think will
> keep and make it better?
> Edrena

Hot sauce, red pepper, black pepper, anything with a sharp, biting
flavor has to improve hardtack. British sailors in the seventeenth and
eighteenth centuries thought the weevils in the hardtack were an
improvement on plain hardtack. Some were kept for using in weevil races
between decks.

George

George Shirley

William R. Watt wrote:

> "BinaryBill" ) writes:
>

>>by Sunday, you should soak it in your coffee before eating, else you will
>>have a hard time chewing.

> When you consider the condition of peoples' teeth in ancient times, those
> that had any, you have to wonder how they survived the stuff. My grandpap
> had to gum his food.

Soak it in whatever beverage you're drinking and it gets soft enough to
gum pretty good. <VBG>

George

William R. Watt

> Soak it in whatever beverage you're drinking and it gets soft enough to
> gum pretty good. <VBG>

<VBTG>

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm
The Joneses

George Shirley wrote:

> Clipped stuff
> > This is very similar to the ones I saw. What kind of flavorings do think will
> > keep and make it better?
> > Edrena
> >

> Hot sauce, red pepper, black pepper, anything with a sharp, biting
> flavor has to improve hardtack. British sailors in the seventeenth and
> eighteenth centuries thought the weevils in the hardtack were an
> improvement on plain hardtack. Some were kept for using in weevil races
> between decks.
>
> George

You are so funny! I'm running out to Deming one of these days soon to get fresh
ground green chile, nothing like it. May use that. Can't wait to have funsies.
Edrena

BinaryBill

"The Joneses" > wrote in message
> BinaryBill wrote:
>
>> Clipped discussion so far.
>> Here's something I found on the internet:
>> HARDTACK
>>
>> Probably the one, first, and most requested recipie, is for hardtack
>> (also
>> known as 'tack, ironplate biscuits, army bread, and other colorful
>> names).
>> From the 1862 US Army book of recipes, is one that is guaranteed to keep
>> your dentist happy with bridge and upper plate work, and not to satisfy
>> your
>> culinary hunger. But these actually work and stay fresh for eons.
>>
>> * 5 Cups Flour (unbleached)
>> * 1 Tablespoon Baking Powder
>> * 1 Tablespoon Salt
>> * 1-1 1/4 cups Water
>> * Preheated Oven to 450
>>
>> In a bowl, combine the ingredients to form a stiff, but not dry
>> dough. The
>>
>> dough should be pliable, but not stick a lot to your hands.
>> Take this mound of dough, and flatten it out onto a greased cookee
>> sheet
>> (the ones with a small lip around the edge...like a real shallow pan...),
>> and roll the dough into a flat sheet aprx. 1/2 inch thick.
>> Using a breadknife, divide the dough into 3x3 squares. taking a
>> 10-penny
>> nail, put a 3x3 matrix of holes into the surface of the dough, all the
>> way
>> thru, at even intervals (Village tinsmithing works sells a cutter that
>> does
>> all of this...works great!).
>> Bake in the oven for aprx 20 Min., till lightly browned. Take out and
>> let
>> cool.
>> Do this the day before your go on the field, and your will have
>> enough
>> tack
>> to fill your haversack. It will be somewhat soft on Saturday morning,
>> but,
>> by Sunday, you should soak it in your coffee before eating, else you will
>> have a hard time chewing.
>> >

> This is very similar to the ones I saw. What kind of flavorings do think
> will
> keep and make it better?
> Edrena

I haven't tried this,but I've heard of people substituting a cup or two of
rye flour for an equal amount of wheat flour of the wheat flour.

Posted to rec.food.preserving
Scott

In article >,
Loki > wrote:

> When we were in high school, one of our group decided to try some
> Civil War re-enactment. He got the clothes and we tried our best to
> provide authentic hardtack. We found an old recipe from that era and
> made it according to the directions.
>
> It was awful. Beyond awful. It was so hard you had to soak it in
> liquid to make it edible.
>
> That's what it was too. We'd evidently made it correctly.
>
> You don't want authentic hardtack, that's for sure.

When possible, they used to cook it with whatever else they were
eating... frying it up in a pan with grease or the like.

--
to respond (OT only), change "spamless.invalid" to "optonline.net"

<http://www.thecoffeefaq.com/>
Posted to rec.food.preserving
George Shirley

Scott wrote:
> In article >,
> Loki > wrote:
>

>>When we were in high school, one of our group decided to try some
>>Civil War re-enactment. He got the clothes and we tried our best to
>>provide authentic hardtack. We found an old recipe from that era and
>>made it according to the directions.
>>
>>It was awful. Beyond awful. It was so hard you had to soak it in
>>liquid to make it edible.
>>
>>That's what it was too. We'd evidently made it correctly.
>>
>>You don't want authentic hardtack, that's for sure.

> When possible, they used to cook it with whatever else they were
> eating... frying it up in a pan with grease or the like.

My Dad was the camp cook for our Civil War Reenactor group. He used
hardtack, smashed with a pistol butt, to make a disgusting mess that he
claimed came straight from a CW diary. Hardtack crumbs mixed with bacon
drippings, chopped onion and garlic, salt, and fried salt pork. Called
it slumgullion and it tasted like it sounded. So much for authenticity,
I went down the road and got me a genuwine burger and soda and I bet if
there had been burger joints at the battle of Sabine Pass, TX the Johnny
Rebs would have done the same thing. On the other hand a hungry soldier
will eat week old dead jackass and be glad of it.

George

Posted to rec.food.preserving
zxcvbob

Jim wrote:
> On Sat, 22 Oct 2005 11:02:47 -0500, George Shirley
> > wrote:
>

>>I've never eaten MRE's but some folks tell me they're pretty good. I ate
>>

> You would never eat one if you ever read the "ingredients". Carnuba
> Wax, petroleum derivatives, a chemical list that looks like a W.H.
> Curtin catalog, etc. "Better Living Through Chemistry". I think most
> are made by a Texas outfit called "Wornick".
>
> No wonder our troops are coming back with huge disability rates, it's
> a well kept media coverup.
>
> Well, if you don't like the flavor you can always polish your Jeep
> with the junk.

What's wrong with carnauba wax?

-Bob
Posted to rec.food.preserving
Brian Mailman

zxcvbob wrote:

> Jim wrote:
>> On Sat, 22 Oct 2005 11:02:47 -0500, George Shirley
>> > wrote:

>>>I've never eaten MRE's but some folks tell me they're pretty good. I ate

>> You would never eat one if you ever read the "ingredients". Carnuba
>> Wax, petroleum derivatives, a chemical list that looks like a W.H.
>> Curtin catalog, etc. "Better Living Through Chemistry". I think most
>> are made by a Texas outfit called "Wornick".
>>
>> No wonder our troops are coming back with huge disability rates, it's
>> a well kept media coverup.
>>
>> Well, if you don't like the flavor you can always polish your Jeep
>> with the junk.

> What's wrong with carnauba wax?

Never had a jelly bean, I guess.

B/

Posted to rec.food.preserving
Kathi Jones

"zxcvbob" > wrote in message
> Jim wrote:
> > On Sat, 22 Oct 2005 11:02:47 -0500, George Shirley
> > > wrote:
> >

> >>I've never eaten MRE's but some folks tell me they're pretty good. I ate
> >>

> > You would never eat one if you ever read the "ingredients". Carnuba
> > Wax, petroleum derivatives, a chemical list that looks like a W.H.
> > Curtin catalog, etc. "Better Living Through Chemistry". I think most
> > are made by a Texas outfit called "Wornick".
> >
> > No wonder our troops are coming back with huge disability rates, it's
> > a well kept media coverup.
> >
> > Well, if you don't like the flavor you can always polish your Jeep
> > with the junk.
> >

> What's wrong with carnauba wax?
>
> -Bob

nothing, if it's being used for car polish....see
http://www.botgard.ucla.edu/html/bot...ny/Copernicia/

"There are a thousand and one uses for carnauba wax, but you are most likely
to hear about it as the principal ingredient in fine car polishes, even
applied as a spray at the car wash. Carnauba is also important for the best
furniture polishes, as for hardwood floors, but can be found as coating on
dental floss, disposible cups and plates, even lipstick. "

doesn't sound like something you'd 'want' to eat...;-P.

Still, I wondered myself so.....
I Googled carnuaba wax just out of curiosity, and the first 7 hits were for
car polish/wax. the 8th was food applications....
What are the uses of carnauba wax? from
http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/heal...rnaubawax.html

"It is used as a formulation aid, lubricant, release agent, and surface
finishing agent in baked foods and mixes, chewing gum, confections,
frostings, fresh fruits and juices, gravies, sauces, processed fruits and
juices and soft candy.

Its chemical structure consists of normal saturated fatty acids and normal
saturated primary alcohols."

I prolly eat it all the time, just never thought about it....

yuck,

Kathi ;-)

Posted to rec.food.preserving
The Joneses

Kathi Jones wrote:

> Clipped very interesting stuff. What are the uses of carnauba wax? from

> http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/heal...rnaubawax.html
>
> "It is used as a formulation aid, lubricant, release agent, and surface
> finishing agent in baked foods and mixes, chewing gum, confections,
> frostings, fresh fruits and juices, gravies, sauces, processed fruits and
> juices and soft candy.
>
> Its chemical structure consists of normal saturated fatty acids and normal
> saturated primary alcohols."
>
> I prolly eat it all the time, just never thought about it....
> yuck, Kathi ;-)

Hah! all the more reason for me to make my own. Then there is the
phenols or something in the plastic wrap.... And we didn't wax our
jeeps cause the shine reflects back to people spyin' on ya.
Edrena, recovering jelly bean addict

Posted to rec.food.preserving

>I've googled up a few recipes for hardtack crackers. I can buy canned meat,
>but bread was a little more difficult. In the Army, the c-ration crackers were
>not too bad, if sorta tasteless. My goal is to make a long storing thick cracker
>that tastes good. I will vacuum seal them. Maybe some with cinnamon,
>some with garlic salt, I dunno, but I'm thinking... Egg, cheeses, herbs, chocolate.

Nearly any flavoring without a significant fat content will work. Eggs
and cheese would cut down on the shelf life.

The Civil War recipe that was posted earlier is hardtack plain and
simple though the baking powder is a bit of a modern addition.
Historically it was flour and water, made into a stiff dough, rolled
out to a thickish cracker, punched with holes, baked until slightly
brown (or not browned at all) then dried in a slow oven until hard as
bricks. If the flour was refined (as in no grain germ) and the
hardtack was kept dry it kept for many years though it might develop a
weevil infestation if you weren't careful. About as interesting to eat
as the box it came in, but if you soaked it soft then boiled it with
whatever came to hand for flavoring it would keep body and soul
together.

Some ground red pepper mixed into the dough would help a lot, in my
opinion. For best long term storage I wouldn't use garlic. It seems
to develop rancid flavors over time in normal storage but if you're
going to eat it in less than two or three years it won't matter much.

A lot of folks initially take an interest in hardtack, pemmican, jerky,
and many of the other traditional trail foods, historical military
rations and so on. They all work as well today as they did back then -
which is the problem. Find a likely looking recipe from the time
period, make some, then try it. You'll soon see why there has been so
much research effort over the years put into military rations. OK for
a little while, but the more time goes by the more you'll think about
killing and eating people (laughing). Gotta be better than erbswurst
though. Never, I say never again, will I willingly eat that stuff.

......Alan.

Posted to rec.food.preserving
William R. Watt

) writes:

> A lot of folks initially take an interest in hardtack, pemmican, jerky,
> and many of the other traditional trail foods, historical military
> rations and so on. They all work as well today as they did back then -
> which is the problem. Find a likely looking recipe from the time
> period, make some, then try it. You'll soon see why there has been so
> much research effort over the years put into military rations. OK for
> a little while, but the more time goes by the more you'll think about
> killing and eating people (laughing). Gotta be better than erbswurst
> though. Never, I say never again, will I willingly eat that stuff.

The secret is to starve oneself before eating survival food.
Starvation makes everything tase better, even boiled boot leather.
And it keep one's weight down.

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm