Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
Scott Dorsey

Default Which brand has the most authentic green or white tea?

> There are so many green and white teas on the market, it is difficult to
> ascertain which is the most authentic in terms of purity of the tea. I
> haven't seen any studies that comparies that various teas in terms of which
> brand are least processed and have the most authentic leaves with minimal
> processing. Does anyone know where I can find this info?

What, to your mind, makes tea authentic?

Tea processing isn't very complex, and tea is the kind of thing that is
hard to adulterate, except with other (cheaper) kinds of tea. So for
the most part, I don't think tea can be anything other than pure, although
it can be something other than what it's labelled.

I will say that there are a number of suppliers out there, and Upton's comes
to mind first, that have a wide variety of different teas and are pretty
good about making sure that what it says on the label is really what is in
the box. So you don't order some single estate Darjeeling and wind up with
Argentinian finings. But honestly, the issue of provenance really isn't
all that serious with tea.
--scott