Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem

Default My dirty little secret

Goomba38 wrote:
> OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
>
> > In article >,
> > Goomba38 > wrote:
> >

> >>Ok.. perhaps just one of them
> >>This "dog licking the pan" thread prompts me to admit my dirty little
> >>secret. My poor dog only gets to lick the pan _after_ I first get to
> >>pick at it. I LOVE the little burned bits and caramalized juices on a
> >>baking dish/roasting pan. Sometimes I like the dark, gooey bits better
> >>than the food itself, lol. I like to take a spatula and dig at the pan
> >>first...then the dog can have at it. LOL

> > That is why pan drippings make the best gravy....... ;-)
> >
> > The carmelized bits.
> >
> > Cheers!

> Sure, I know that. Doesn't everyone? LOL
> But that said, I don't always make gravy with meatloaf or other things I
> roast or bake.
> Does anyone else like to pick at them and eat them??

No. Put the pan on the burner, splash in some wine, or Madeira, or
vermouth, or gin, or chicken stock, or whatever liquid is handy, bring
to boil. Scrape with the wooden spoon or spatula. Add an herb if
appropriate, salt, pepper, and pour it over the meat. Total elapsed
time 2 to 3 minutes. The pan sauce is SO much better than the bits
themselves. -aem