Dee Randall

Default Herbal garden

"Debbie" > wrote in message

> "Dee Randall" > wrote in message

> the
> | > f-i-l
> | > raise
> those
> It

> | > This sort of raised container would be excellent, just don't get them
> too
> | > shallow as such will dry out very quickly and require you to water
> daily
> | > or
> | > twice daily in hot weather. The pics look like the troughs are only
> about
> | > 3in deep, I would go for double that.
> | >
> | > David
> | >
> | Thanks for the info. DH says they were about 6" or so.
> | But I think the people that grew the herbs (some tomatoes, too) in this
> | system just stopped tending after they discovered they 'could' grow
> them.
> | You know, an experiment, and they lost interest and stopped watering.
> | You raise a good point, we turn off our water inside when we leave home
> for
> | a few days, but DH says he could use the outside water to set up a
> | drip-plan.
> | Dee Dee
>
> I had herbs in a raised container that was 4 feet deep. It was great. I
> filled the bulk of the container with sand for drainage and put good earth
> on top of that. I had 3 containers 4' high, 4' long and 2' wide. Besides
> herbs I grew root veggies. My last year at the house I grew tomatoes.
> They
> were the best tomatoes I ever grew. Everyone asked what we did. Wish I
> had
> a picture of them to show you.
>
> Debbie

Thanks, Debbie for the dimensions. Yes, I wish you had a picture. Umm -
tomatoes. How long has it been for a good one. We have some heirloom seeds
around somewhere, hopefully they will still be good. Some of the heirloom
tomatoes are so dense tasting; it takes you back to childhood (well at least
mine, in the early 40's).
Dee Dee