Dee Randall

Default Herbal garden

Since we are too old to think about gardening anymore (we took down the
garden fences), we are thinking about something like this for a few
non-spreading herbs. Someone at the assisted living apartments where f-i-l
lives built this and I think it is something that we might be able to raise
a few herbs without dealing with pots. (I really don't like all those
separate pots.) I would put it near the house on a due south side. It
would save stooping over for both of us.
Dee Dee

http://tinypic.com/et9jsm.jpg

aem

Dee Randall wrote:
> Since we are too old to think about gardening anymore (we took down the
> garden fences), we are thinking about something like this for a few
> non-spreading herbs. Someone at the assisted living apartments where f-i-l
> lives built this and I think it is something that we might be able to raise
> a few herbs without dealing with pots. (I really don't like all those
> separate pots.) I would put it near the house on a due south side. It
> would save stooping over for both of us.
> Dee Dee
>
> http://tinypic.com/et9jsm.jpg

That, or something similar, will certainly work. If you can find a
copy of the old (c. 1980) book "Square Foot Gardening" by Mel
Bartholomew you'll find useful info both about that kind of structure
and also about soil mixtures to use. -aem

Dee Randall

"aem" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> Dee Randall wrote:
>> Since we are too old to think about gardening anymore (we took down the
>> garden fences), we are thinking about something like this for a few
>> non-spreading herbs. Someone at the assisted living apartments where
>> f-i-l
>> lives built this and I think it is something that we might be able to
>> raise
>> a few herbs without dealing with pots. (I really don't like all those
>> separate pots.) I would put it near the house on a due south side. It
>> would save stooping over for both of us.
>> Dee Dee
>>
>> http://tinypic.com/et9jsm.jpg

> That, or something similar, will certainly work. If you can find a
> copy of the old (c. 1980) book "Square Foot Gardening" by Mel
> Bartholomew you'll find useful info both about that kind of structure
> and also about soil mixtures to use. -aem

Thanks for the tip. I'll try to find my old copy. I hope I didn't give it
away. A lot of garden books have been going to the Salvation Army lately.
Dee Dee

Boron Elgar

On Fri, 21 Oct 2005 18:56:20 -0400, "Dee Randall"
> wrote:

>Since we are too old to think about gardening anymore (we took down the
>garden fences), we are thinking about something like this for a few
>non-spreading herbs. Someone at the assisted living apartments where f-i-l
>lives built this and I think it is something that we might be able to raise
>a few herbs without dealing with pots. (I really don't like all those
>separate pots.) I would put it near the house on a due south side. It
>would save stooping over for both of us.
>Dee Dee
>
>http://tinypic.com/et9jsm.jpg

It is hard to judge the depth of what is there, but the premise is
fine.

I do not know your climate, but in mine, here in the NE, perennials
are not liable to make it in something so unprotected, even against a
south wall. Still, herb seeds are pretty cheap, especially when you
get them at the previous fall's sales. They last for years.

You might also be able to cobble together something from outdoor
shelving and window boxes. The individual boxes will not have to be
moved unless you want them to be, but the additional height will allow
you to do some vines or trailing plants.

Let us know how it turns out.

Boron
=
Dee Randall

"Boron Elgar" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 21 Oct 2005 18:56:20 -0400, "Dee Randall"
> > wrote:
>
>>Since we are too old to think about gardening anymore (we took down the
>>garden fences), we are thinking about something like this for a few
>>non-spreading herbs. Someone at the assisted living apartments where
>>f-i-l
>>lives built this and I think it is something that we might be able to
>>raise
>>a few herbs without dealing with pots. (I really don't like all those
>>separate pots.) I would put it near the house on a due south side. It
>>would save stooping over for both of us.
>>Dee Dee
>>
>>http://tinypic.com/et9jsm.jpg
>>

> It is hard to judge the depth of what is there, but the premise is
> fine.
>
> I do not know your climate, but in mine, here in the NE, perennials
> are not liable to make it in something so unprotected, even against a
> south wall. Still, herb seeds are pretty cheap, especially when you
> get them at the previous fall's sales. They last for years.
>
> You might also be able to cobble together something from outdoor
> shelving and window boxes. The individual boxes will not have to be
> moved unless you want them to be, but the additional height will allow
> you to do some vines or trailing plants.
>
> Let us know how it turns out.
>
> Boron

Thanks for posting. Your last paragraph made a few lightbulbs go off while
reading it.
Dee Dee

jmcquown

Dee Randall wrote:
> Since we are too old to think about gardening anymore (we took down
> the garden fences), we are thinking about something like this for a
> few non-spreading herbs. Someone at the assisted living apartments
> where f-i-l lives built this and I think it is something that we
> might be able to raise a few herbs without dealing with pots. (I
> really don't like all those separate pots.) I would put it near the
> house on a due south side. It would save stooping over for both of
> us.
> Dee Dee
>
> http://tinypic.com/et9jsm.jpg

This reminds me a lot of the raised garden bed built by one of the
homesteaders on the PBS series "Frontier House". It allowed for good
irrigation and air flow.

Jill

David Hare-Scott

"Dee Randall" > wrote in message
> Since we are too old to think about gardening anymore (we took down the
> garden fences), we are thinking about something like this for a few
> non-spreading herbs. Someone at the assisted living apartments where

f-i-l
> lives built this and I think it is something that we might be able to

raise
> a few herbs without dealing with pots. (I really don't like all those
> separate pots.) I would put it near the house on a due south side. It
> would save stooping over for both of us.
> Dee Dee
>
> http://tinypic.com/et9jsm.jpg

This sort of raised container would be excellent, just don't get them too
shallow as such will dry out very quickly and require you to water daily or
twice daily in hot weather. The pics look like the troughs are only about
3in deep, I would go for double that.

David

Dee Randall

"David Hare-Scott" > wrote in message

> "Dee Randall" > wrote in message
>> Since we are too old to think about gardening anymore (we took down the
>> garden fences), we are thinking about something like this for a few
>> non-spreading herbs. Someone at the assisted living apartments where

> f-i-l
>> lives built this and I think it is something that we might be able to

> raise
>> a few herbs without dealing with pots. (I really don't like all those
>> separate pots.) I would put it near the house on a due south side. It
>> would save stooping over for both of us.
>> Dee Dee
>>
>> http://tinypic.com/et9jsm.jpg
>>

> This sort of raised container would be excellent, just don't get them too
> shallow as such will dry out very quickly and require you to water daily
> or
> twice daily in hot weather. The pics look like the troughs are only about
> 3in deep, I would go for double that.
>
> David

Thanks for the info. DH says they were about 6" or so.
But I think the people that grew the herbs (some tomatoes, too) in this
system just stopped tending after they discovered they 'could' grow them.
You know, an experiment, and they lost interest and stopped watering.
You raise a good point, we turn off our water inside when we leave home for
a few days, but DH says he could use the outside water to set up a
drip-plan.
Dee Dee

Debbie

"Dee Randall" > wrote in message

| "David Hare-Scott" > wrote in message
| >
| > "Dee Randall" > wrote in message
| >> Since we are too old to think about gardening anymore (we took down the
| >> garden fences), we are thinking about something like this for a few
| >> non-spreading herbs. Someone at the assisted living apartments where
| > f-i-l
| >> lives built this and I think it is something that we might be able to
| > raise
| >> a few herbs without dealing with pots. (I really don't like all those
| >> separate pots.) I would put it near the house on a due south side. It
| >> would save stooping over for both of us.
| >> Dee Dee
| >>
| >> http://tinypic.com/et9jsm.jpg
| >>

| > This sort of raised container would be excellent, just don't get them
too
| > shallow as such will dry out very quickly and require you to water daily
| > or
| > twice daily in hot weather. The pics look like the troughs are only
about
| > 3in deep, I would go for double that.
| >
| > David
| >
| Thanks for the info. DH says they were about 6" or so.
| But I think the people that grew the herbs (some tomatoes, too) in this
| system just stopped tending after they discovered they 'could' grow them.
| You know, an experiment, and they lost interest and stopped watering.
| You raise a good point, we turn off our water inside when we leave home
for
| a few days, but DH says he could use the outside water to set up a
| drip-plan.
| Dee Dee

I had herbs in a raised container that was 4 feet deep. It was great. I
filled the bulk of the container with sand for drainage and put good earth
on top of that. I had 3 containers 4' high, 4' long and 2' wide. Besides
herbs I grew root veggies. My last year at the house I grew tomatoes. They
were the best tomatoes I ever grew. Everyone asked what we did. Wish I had
a picture of them to show you.

Debbie

Dee Randall

"Debbie" > wrote in message

> "Dee Randall" > wrote in message

> the
> | > f-i-l
> | > raise
> those
> It

> | > This sort of raised container would be excellent, just don't get them
> too
> | > shallow as such will dry out very quickly and require you to water
> daily
> | > or
> | > twice daily in hot weather. The pics look like the troughs are only
> about
> | > 3in deep, I would go for double that.
> | >
> | > David
> | >
> | Thanks for the info. DH says they were about 6" or so.
> | But I think the people that grew the herbs (some tomatoes, too) in this
> | system just stopped tending after they discovered they 'could' grow
> them.
> | You know, an experiment, and they lost interest and stopped watering.
> | You raise a good point, we turn off our water inside when we leave home
> for
> | a few days, but DH says he could use the outside water to set up a
> | drip-plan.
> | Dee Dee
>
> I had herbs in a raised container that was 4 feet deep. It was great. I
> filled the bulk of the container with sand for drainage and put good earth
> on top of that. I had 3 containers 4' high, 4' long and 2' wide. Besides
> herbs I grew root veggies. My last year at the house I grew tomatoes.
> They
> were the best tomatoes I ever grew. Everyone asked what we did. Wish I
> had
> a picture of them to show you.
>
> Debbie

Thanks, Debbie for the dimensions. Yes, I wish you had a picture. Umm -
tomatoes. How long has it been for a good one. We have some heirloom seeds
around somewhere, hopefully they will still be good. Some of the heirloom
tomatoes are so dense tasting; it takes you back to childhood (well at least
mine, in the early 40's).
Dee Dee

Debbie

"Dee Randall" > wrote in message

| "Debbie" > wrote in message
| >

| > I had herbs in a raised container that was 4 feet deep. It was great.
| > filled the bulk of the container with sand for drainage and put good
earth
| > on top of that. I had 3 containers 4' high, 4' long and 2' wide.
Besides
| > herbs I grew root veggies. My last year at the house I grew tomatoes.
| > They
| > were the best tomatoes I ever grew. Everyone asked what we did. Wish I
| > had
| > a picture of them to show you.
| >
| > Debbie
|
| Thanks, Debbie for the dimensions. Yes, I wish you had a picture.

I will try to explain what we did and perhaps you can get a picture of it in
your head. We made them like tall window boxes. We cut 5 pieces of 4'x8'
plywood in half for the sides. Six of these made the side panels 4'x4'. We
took 3 of the other halves and cut them in half again. There was 1 half
left over. That made the end pieces 2' x 4'. That gives you the
dimensions. We did the same with lattice boards to attach to the outside
for purely cosmetic reasons. Now as to the build, I really can't detail
alot. I know a frame was built with 2"x4"s with 4"x4"s for the corners. I
know there was talk about cross pieces in the form to keep the sides etc
from bulging. We put some sort of decorative thing around the top edge as
well. This kept sweaters etc from getting caught on a rough finish and gave
it a nice look for the yard. If my situation had been different and I was
still living there, I would have had more of these made. They were great.
Easy to plant, easy to harvest. No bending. I kept the soil a few inches
from the top so that in spring I could plant early and spread a cover
tightly over the top at night if there was a risk of frost. By the time the
plant had grown over the top and I would need to worry about crushing it,
the frost risk would be over.

Debbie

Sheldon

Dee Randall wrote:
> Since we are too old to think about gardening anymore (we took down the
> garden fences), we are thinking about something like this for a few
> non-spreading herbs. Someone at the assisted living apartments where f-i-l
> lives built this and I think it is something that we might be able to raise
> a few herbs without dealing with pots. (I really don't like all those
> separate pots.) I would put it near the house on a due south side. It
> would save stooping over for both of us.
> Dee Dee
>
> http://tinypic.com/et9jsm.jpg

That thing looks more like a potting bench than something for growing
plants. It's much too shallow, and being up off the ground like that
will dry out very rapidly. You need to build a raised bed directly on
the ground. This raised bed kit from Lee Valley is the best I've seen:

http://www.leevalley.com/garden/page...55&cat=2,44664

http://tinyurl.com/b2fne

I would also suggest placing your herb garden as close to a back door
near your kitchen as possible... never fails that most times you'll
need herbs during inclement weather.

Sheldon

pennyaline

David Hare-Scott wrote:
> "Dee Randall" > wrote in message
>> Since we are too old to think about gardening anymore (we took down the
>> garden fences), we are thinking about something like this for a few
>> non-spreading herbs. Someone at the assisted living apartments where

> f-i-l
>> lives built this and I think it is something that we might be able to

> raise
>> a few herbs without dealing with pots. (I really don't like all those
>> separate pots.) I would put it near the house on a due south side. It
>> would save stooping over for both of us.
>> Dee Dee
>>
>> http://tinypic.com/et9jsm.jpg
>>

> This sort of raised container would be excellent, just don't get them too
> shallow as such will dry out very quickly and require you to water daily or
> twice daily in hot weather. The pics look like the troughs are only about
> 3in deep, I would go for double that.

Beds that shallow will also allow the roots of cool season or
overwintering plants to freeze, despite southern or western exposure. So
if you are planning to grow something like perennial or biennial herbs,
you need much more root protection than this structure could afford.
Dee Randall

"Debbie" > wrote in message

> "Dee Randall" > wrote in message
> |
> | "Debbie" > wrote in message
> | >

> | > I had herbs in a raised container that was 4 feet deep. It was great.
> | > filled the bulk of the container with sand for drainage and put good
> earth
> | > on top of that. I had 3 containers 4' high, 4' long and 2' wide.
> Besides
> | > herbs I grew root veggies. My last year at the house I grew tomatoes.
> | > They
> | > were the best tomatoes I ever grew. Everyone asked what we did. Wish
> | > had
> | > a picture of them to show you.
> | >
> | > Debbie
> |
> | Thanks, Debbie for the dimensions. Yes, I wish you had a picture.
>
> I will try to explain what we did and perhaps you can get a picture of it
> in
> your head. We made them like tall window boxes. We cut 5 pieces of 4'x8'
> plywood in half for the sides. Six of these made the side panels 4'x4'.
> We
> took 3 of the other halves and cut them in half again. There was 1 half
> left over. That made the end pieces 2' x 4'. That gives you the
> dimensions. We did the same with lattice boards to attach to the outside
> for purely cosmetic reasons. Now as to the build, I really can't detail
> alot. I know a frame was built with 2"x4"s with 4"x4"s for the corners.
> know there was talk about cross pieces in the form to keep the sides etc
> from bulging. We put some sort of decorative thing around the top edge as
> well. This kept sweaters etc from getting caught on a rough finish and
> gave
> it a nice look for the yard. If my situation had been different and I
> was
> still living there, I would have had more of these made. They were great.
> Easy to plant, easy to harvest. No bending. I kept the soil a few inches
> from the top so that in spring I could plant early and spread a cover
> tightly over the top at night if there was a risk of frost. By the time
> the
> plant had grown over the top and I would need to worry about crushing it,
> the frost risk would be over.
>
> Debbie

Debbie, DH says thanks so much, and we have filed your information. No
bending is our goal. DH is enthusiastic about your information.
Dee

Debbie

"Dee Randall" > wrote in message

| "Debbie" > wrote in message
| >
| > "Dee Randall" > wrote in message
| > |

| > earth
| > Besides
Wish

| > |
| > | Thanks, Debbie for the dimensions. Yes, I wish you had a picture.
| >
| > I will try to explain what we did and perhaps you can get a picture of
it
| > in
| > your head. We made them like tall window boxes. We cut 5 pieces of
4'x8'
| > plywood in half for the sides. Six of these made the side panels 4'x4'.
| > We
| > took 3 of the other halves and cut them in half again. There was 1 half
| > left over. That made the end pieces 2' x 4'. That gives you the
| > dimensions. We did the same with lattice boards to attach to the
outside
| > for purely cosmetic reasons. Now as to the build, I really can't
detail
| > alot. I know a frame was built with 2"x4"s with 4"x4"s for the corners.
| > know there was talk about cross pieces in the form to keep the sides etc
| > from bulging. We put some sort of decorative thing around the top edge
as
| > well. This kept sweaters etc from getting caught on a rough finish and
| > gave
| > it a nice look for the yard. If my situation had been different and I
| > was
| > still living there, I would have had more of these made. They were
great.
| > Easy to plant, easy to harvest. No bending. I kept the soil a few
inches
| > from the top so that in spring I could plant early and spread a cover
| > tightly over the top at night if there was a risk of frost. By the time
| > the
| > plant had grown over the top and I would need to worry about crushing
it,
| > the frost risk would be over.
| >
| > Debbie
|
| Debbie, DH says thanks so much, and we have filed your information. No
| bending is our goal. DH is enthusiastic about your information.

Glad I could be of help and explain it enough that someone who knows what
they are doing understands! :-)

Debbie

Herbal tea gardens A.E. Baxter Tea 1 09-07-2008 09:17 PM
REC: Homemade herbal tea PeterLucas[_4_] General Cooking 1 20-09-2007 03:01 PM
recommendation for herbal tea?? Mmm Tea 4 25-01-2007 11:33 PM
Breathing better the herbal way barwha Preserving 3 04-05-2004 04:59 PM
herbal teas adam Tea 5 19-11-2003 01:09 PM