Carol \Damsel\ Peterson

Default REC - Chocolate Chip Bars

On 19 Oct 2005 04:45:17 -0700, "Jude" > wrote:

> Tries making these last night. The bars were a little crumbly (what my
> mom would call 'too short') and I wasn't sure if the topping was
> supposed to be a stiff meringue. i couldn't get the egg whites to beat
> up stiff after all that brown sugar was added, so its a kind of
> soft-merengue topping over the bars instead of a crispy one. Is that
> how it should have turned out?

Hmmmm. I haven't made these in quite some time, so I don't recall the
crumbly part. The dough *should* be the Toll House recipe.

The topping is a glaze, not a meringue. "beating" in this case just
means homogenizing the eggs.

I'll update the directions. This is another of those old recipes (I
got it from a classmate in elementary school) where a lot of the
directions are just a given. I've been trying to update my recipes as
they are discovered to be inadequate. Thanks for letting me know that
this is one of them.

Carol