Old 15-10-2005, 02:06 PM
Damsel

Default REC - Chocolate Chip Bars

I got this recipe from a classmate when I was in elementary school.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Chocolate Chip Bars

Recipe By amsel
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : bars-squares

1 cup vegetable shortening
3/4 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup granulated sugar
3 egg yolks
2 tablespoons hot water
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
6 ounces semisweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup chopped nuts -- optional
1 cup brown sugar
3 egg whites -- beaten

Combine all ingredients except 1 cup brown sugar and the egg whites.
Press dough into 9x3-inch baking pan.

Mix brown sugar and egg whites; pour over top of cookie batter.

Bake at 350F for 20 minutes.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
-

Old 15-10-2005, 02:43 PM
Margaret Suran

Damsel wrote:
[...]

I believe the dimensions for your baking pan are wrong. Or weird.
Old 15-10-2005, 07:12 PM
Carol Peterson

Margaret Suran wrote:
Damsel wrote:
Chocolate Chip Bars

Combine all ingredients except 1 cup brown sugar and the egg whites.
Press dough into 9x3-inch baking pan.

I believe the dimensions for your baking pan are wrong. Or weird.

I vote for weird. I'll change it immediately, and hope that no one
tries to make this recipe in a bread pan. DUH! Thanks for the catch.

Carol

Old 18-10-2005, 02:52 PM
Melba's Jammin'

In article . com,
"Carol Peterson" wrote:

Margaret Suran wrote:
Damsel wrote:
Chocolate Chip Bars

Combine all ingredients except 1 cup brown sugar and the egg whites.
Press dough into 9x3-inch baking pan.

I believe the dimensions for your baking pan are wrong. Or weird.

I vote for weird. I'll change it immediately, and hope that no one
tries to make this recipe in a bread pan. DUH! Thanks for the catch.

Carol

That'd be a breadSTICK pan. r&d
--
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com
Old 18-10-2005, 04:08 PM
Carol \Damsel\ Peterson

On Tue, 18 Oct 2005 08:52:39 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
wrote:

In article . com,
"Carol Peterson" wrote:

Margaret Suran wrote:
Damsel wrote:
Chocolate Chip Bars

Combine all ingredients except 1 cup brown sugar and the egg whites.
Press dough into 9x3-inch baking pan.

I believe the dimensions for your baking pan are wrong. Or weird.

I vote for weird. I'll change it immediately, and hope that no one
tries to make this recipe in a bread pan. DUH! Thanks for the catch.

Carol

That'd be a breadSTICK pan. r&d

ROFLMAO! My typos are becoming legendary. There was a fiasco with
the Unbaked Chocolate Drop recipe a few years ago. Cocoa should have
been 1/2 cup, but I posted the recipe with TWO cups!! Uck!

Carol

Old 18-10-2005, 07:59 PM
Margaret Suran

Carol "Damsel" Peterson wrote:
On Tue, 18 Oct 2005 16:42:12 GMT, Dog3 wrote:

"Carol \"Damsel\" Peterson" looking for trouble
wrote in :

ROFLMAO! My typos are becoming legendary. There was a fiasco with
the Unbaked Chocolate Drop recipe a few years ago. Cocoa should have
been 1/2 cup, but I posted the recipe with TWO cups!! Uck!

Well, if you doubled the sugar in the recipe it would be okay, wouldn't it
snerk

BLEEP you, Michael! LOL!

Carol

Hey, Good News!!! Look at the return address. Our Damsel is back!!!!
Old 18-10-2005, 08:23 PM
Carol \Damsel\ Peterson

On Tue, 18 Oct 2005 14:59:58 -0400, Margaret Suran
wrote:

Hey, Good News!!! Look at the return address. Our Damsel is back!!!!

Victor, representing the Cabal (TINC) pretty much forced me to stick
Damsel in the middle. He's such a bully!

Carol
Old 18-10-2005, 10:09 PM
Mr Libido Incognito

Carol "Damsel" Peterson wrote on 18 Oct 2005 in rec.food.cooking

wrote:

Hey, Good News!!! Look at the return address. Our Damsel is back!!!!

Victor, representing the Cabal (TINC) pretty much forced me to stick
Damsel in the middle. He's such a bully!

Carol

I still like Carol "The Dansel" Peterson better.

--
The eyes are the mirrors....
But the ears...Ah the ears.
Old 19-10-2005, 12:15 AM
Carol \Damsel\ Peterson

wrote:

Hey, Good News!!! Look at the return address. Our Damsel is back!!!!

Victor, representing the Cabal (TINC) pretty much forced me to stick
Damsel in the middle. He's such a bully!

Carol

I still like Carol "The Dansel" Peterson better.

That would be "da Damsel" G

Carol
Old 19-10-2005, 03:38 AM
Mr Libido Incognito

wrote:

Hey, Good News!!! Look at the return address. Our Damsel is
back!!!!

Victor, representing the Cabal (TINC) pretty much forced me to
stick Damsel in the middle. He's such a bully!

Carol

I still like Carol "The Dansel" Peterson better.

That would be "da Damsel" G

Carol

Or is Carol 'Fists of Fury' Peterson more to your liking?

--
The eyes are the mirrors....
But the ears...Ah the ears.

Old 19-10-2005, 12:45 PM
Jude

Tries making these last night. The bars were a little crumbly (what my
mom would call 'too short') and I wasn't sure if the topping was
supposed to be a stiff meringue. i couldn't get the egg whites to beat
up stiff after all that brown sugar was added, so its a kind of
soft-merengue topping over the bars instead of a crispy one. Is that
how it should have turned out?

Old 19-10-2005, 12:59 PM
Carol \Damsel\ Peterson

On 19 Oct 2005 04:45:17 -0700, "Jude" wrote:

Tries making these last night. The bars were a little crumbly (what my
mom would call 'too short') and I wasn't sure if the topping was
supposed to be a stiff meringue. i couldn't get the egg whites to beat
up stiff after all that brown sugar was added, so its a kind of
soft-merengue topping over the bars instead of a crispy one. Is that
how it should have turned out?

Hmmmm. I haven't made these in quite some time, so I don't recall the
crumbly part. The dough *should* be the Toll House recipe.

The topping is a glaze, not a meringue. "beating" in this case just
means homogenizing the eggs.

I'll update the directions. This is another of those old recipes (I
got it from a classmate in elementary school) where a lot of the
directions are just a given. I've been trying to update my recipes as
they are discovered to be inadequate. Thanks for letting me know that
this is one of them.

Carol
Old 19-10-2005, 10:25 PM
Jude

[...]

Thanks.....I don't think the dough was the toll house; the 2 T water
made a big gummy spot and I know my choc-chip cookies don't have any
added water. I figured iut might be to compensate for the missing
moisture from the egg whites.

Never would have thought of the topping as a glaze! As soon as I saw
beaten egg whites, I envisioned a meringue-topped cookie bar. Guess
I'll just have to play around with the recipe and invent my own!!

Old 20-10-2005, 02:54 AM
Syssi

"Carol "Damsel" Peterson" wrote in message
On Tue, 18 Oct 2005 08:52:39 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
wrote:

In article . com,
"Carol Peterson" wrote:

Margaret Suran wrote:
Damsel wrote:
Chocolate Chip Bars

Combine all ingredients except 1 cup brown sugar and the egg
whites.
Press dough into 9x3-inch baking pan.

I believe the dimensions for your baking pan are wrong. Or weird.

I vote for weird. I'll change it immediately, and hope that no one
tries to make this recipe in a bread pan. DUH! Thanks for the catch.

Carol

That'd be a breadSTICK pan. r&d

ROFLMAO! My typos are becoming legendary. There was a fiasco with
the Unbaked Chocolate Drop recipe a few years ago. Cocoa should have
been 1/2 cup, but I posted the recipe with TWO cups!! Uck!

Carol

What are you talking about? They turned out amazing - they were supposed to
be Ultra Dark Chocolate Drops, right? LOL

Sorry... couldn't resist.
--
Syssi