Rodney Myrvaagnes

Default Chicken broth

On Mon, 17 Oct 2005 07:10:40 -0400, biig > wrote:

> What is everyone's no fail recipe for a good chicken stock? I have
>two leg quarters simmering with onion, carrot, celery and a "bit" of
>salt. What else would you all put in. This will be used for a chicken
>and wild rice soup found on CD Kitchen website. This will be my first
>attempt at making stock from scratch. Thanks....Sharon

I use an 8-qt stock pot, and have mostly started by roasting the bones
of a chicken that we have eaten. Leek, halved onion, carrot, celery
stalks, maybe a parsnip. A little tomato paste if you want it brown.
peppercorns.

Cover all with cold water. NO salt, you can salt it when you are using
the stock. Bring to a slow simmer. skim scum occasionally. let simmer
for maybe two hours. Strain through cheesecloth. Freeze anything I
don't need right away in zipper bags.

The last two batches I have used a 5-lb bag of peeled chicken feet
instead of the carcass. This came out very nice, thickened with
gelatin from the feet

Pheasant and duck carcasses are good as well. I have made risotto from
pheasant stock that was very well received.

Rodney Myrvaagnes J 36 Gjo/a

Kansas--working to become a science-free zone