biig

Default Chicken broth

What is everyone's no fail recipe for a good chicken stock? I have
two leg quarters simmering with onion, carrot, celery and a "bit" of
salt. What else would you all put in. This will be used for a chicken
and wild rice soup found on CD Kitchen website. This will be my first
attempt at making stock from scratch. Thanks....Sharon
Dwayne

I would taste it and see if it needs anything else. Since I am on a low
salt diet, I make it up by adding garlic powder and more pepper, but that is
me. My wife complains that it is too hot (fromthje pepper). Do you can? I
like to put an entire chicken into a pan full of water and can what I have
left.

Dwayne

"biig" > wrote in message ...
> What is everyone's no fail recipe for a good chicken stock? I have
> two leg quarters simmering with onion, carrot, celery and a "bit" of
> salt. What else would you all put in. This will be used for a chicken
> and wild rice soup found on CD Kitchen website. This will be my first
> attempt at making stock from scratch. Thanks....Sharon

jmcquown

biig wrote:
> What is everyone's no fail recipe for a good chicken stock? I have
> two leg quarters simmering with onion, carrot, celery and a "bit" of
> salt. What else would you all put in. This will be used for a
> chicken and wild rice soup found on CD Kitchen website. This will be
> my first attempt at making stock from scratch. Thanks....Sharon

Garlic! A couple of bay leaves. Peppercorns or ground black pepper. Dried
thyme, sage, maybe some marjoram.

Don't be afraid to cook it way down, add water as needed. Then chill it and
scoop off the fat that settles on the top of the pot. If the chilled stock
sets like jelly, you did well It will liquify upon reheating.

Jill

Andy

Dwayne wrote:

> like to put an entire chicken into a pan full of water and can what I
> have left.
>
> Dwayne

Once again the slogan "a chicken in every pot" is revisited. And a
Porsche in every garage.

--
Andy
http://tinyurl.com/dzl7h
Bob Terwilliger

Jill replied:

>> What is everyone's no fail recipe for a good chicken stock? I have
>> two leg quarters simmering with onion, carrot, celery and a "bit" of
>> salt. What else would you all put in. This will be used for a
>> chicken and wild rice soup found on CD Kitchen website. This will be
>> my first attempt at making stock from scratch. Thanks....Sharon

> Garlic! A couple of bay leaves. Peppercorns or ground black pepper.
> Dried thyme, sage, maybe some marjoram.
>
> Don't be afraid to cook it way down, add water as needed. Then chill it
> and scoop off the fat that settles on the top of the pot. If the chilled
> stock sets like jelly, you did well It will liquify upon reheating.

The problem with cooking it way down at this point is that biig has already
added salt. For future reference, you shouldn't add salt to something which
will be drastically reduced.

Bob

Dee Randall

"biig" > wrote in message ...
> What is everyone's no fail recipe for a good chicken stock? I have
> two leg quarters simmering with onion, carrot, celery and a "bit" of
> salt. What else would you all put in. This will be used for a chicken
> and wild rice soup found on CD Kitchen website. This will be my first
> attempt at making stock from scratch. Thanks....Sharon

Here 101 answers re chicken stock that posters gave me "How many of you-all
actually make your own chicken stock/broth?" . 101 sounds like a basic
lesson, and it was. I really appreciated it. I've made it now a couple of
times, and last night I had chicken soup.
Reading these posts might help.

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.f...fefef5bd06e58f

Here is a hint:
If you are interested in a subject about which a group might have posted, go
to google and click on "groups" and write in the subject. You will get more
answers that you even dreamed of.

Dee Dee

~patches~

Dwayne wrote:

> I would taste it and see if it needs anything else. Since I am on a low
> salt diet, I make it up by adding garlic powder and more pepper, but that is
> me. My wife complains that it is too hot (fromthje pepper). Do you can? I
> like to put an entire chicken into a pan full of water and can what I have
> left.
>
> Dwayne

Dwayne, I know you're into canning so here's a pic of a couple of my
stocks - chicken & the darker one is beef. Once the stock cools there
is a slight haze due to whatever fat remains in the stock. There will
also be a little sediment on the bottom of the jars. I simply shake the
jar prior to using it.
http://tinypic.com/eq5npf.jpg

For your pleasure here is a pic of my canned chicken. I like canning it
in the small 250 ml widemouth jars. It's convenient to have a few jars
of canned meat on hand.
http://tinypic.com/eq5pcj.jpg

> "biig" > wrote in message ...
>
>> What is everyone's no fail recipe for a good chicken stock? I have
>>two leg quarters simmering with onion, carrot, celery and a "bit" of
>>salt. What else would you all put in. This will be used for a chicken
>>and wild rice soup found on CD Kitchen website. This will be my first
>>attempt at making stock from scratch. Thanks....Sharon

biig, my stock have never failed me but I don't really have a recipe. I
don't use any salt in my stocks. For chicken I use the whole carcass,
onion with the skin left on for richer colour, carrot, celery leaves,
bay leaf, peppercorns, & if feeling a little adventurist a little white
wine is good. For beef, I use a soup bone & pretty much the same
veggies as for chicken as well as a tomato & worchestershire sauce.
Instead of white wine a little red wine or a little beer if I feel like.

Dimitri

"biig" > wrote in message ...
> What is everyone's no fail recipe for a good chicken stock? I have
> two leg quarters simmering with onion, carrot, celery and a "bit" of
> salt. What else would you all put in. This will be used for a chicken
> and wild rice soup found on CD Kitchen website. This will be my first
> attempt at making stock from scratch. Thanks....Sharon

The mirepoix is a great start. Normally when making stock try not to salt it.
Add salt to the finished "soup". a few sprigs of parsley is always a very good
addition. Parsley is normally an underused but it has a great amount of flavor.
Once the stock is done throw away the vegetables - they have given up their
flavor. Dill or a little lemon juice will perk up the flavor but those are very
specific flavorings.

Dimitri

zxcvbob

biig wrote:
> What is everyone's no fail recipe for a good chicken stock? I have
> two leg quarters simmering with onion, carrot, celery and a "bit" of
> salt. What else would you all put in. This will be used for a chicken
> and wild rice soup found on CD Kitchen website. This will be my first
> attempt at making stock from scratch. Thanks....Sharon

I occasionally roast a whole frozen turkey in the Nesco Bigass™ electric
roaster and bone it out. I save all the juice that cooks out when it's
roasting (it's a *lot* of juice that collects in a covered roaster.)
This is a very strock stock. Then I take all the bones and I simmer or
pressure cook them in much water with an onion, carrot, bay leaf, a few
peppercorns, and a little celery -- and a bouillon cube or two. I don't
put *much* aromatic vegetables in because I can add those later. Then I
combine the 2 batches of stock and freeze them in quart freezer
containers. (I probably should can them instead to save freezer space.)

I use the turkey stock and pretend it is chicken. If I really wanted
*chicken* stock, I would buy a bag of cheap chicken leg quarters and add
any chicken backs I had in the freezer and simmer them all until they
completely fell apart. (strain out the meat and chop it with some mayo
to make devilled chicken spread.)

-Bob

Brick

On 17-Oct-2005, "jmcquown" > wrote:

> biig wrote:
> > What is everyone's no fail recipe for a good chicken stock? I have
> > two leg quarters simmering with onion, carrot, celery and a "bit" of
> > salt. What else would you all put in. This will be used for a
> > chicken and wild rice soup found on CD Kitchen website. This will be
> > my first attempt at making stock from scratch. Thanks....Sharon

> Garlic! A couple of bay leaves. Peppercorns or ground black pepper. Dried
> thyme, sage, maybe some marjoram.
>
> Don't be afraid to cook it way down, add water as needed. Then chill it and
> scoop off the fat that settles on the top of the pot. If the chilled stock
> sets like jelly, you did well It will liquify upon reheating.
>
> Jill

Thanks for that comment about setting like jelly Jill. I only recently observed
a quart of pork stock doing that. I've made countless quarts of chicken stock
in the last few years, but never saw that happen before or even read a comment
on it. Fortunately, I did not throw the pork stock out as it did not discolor or
take on any strange odor. I'm guessing from your comments that I simply
have not been reducing my chicken stock enough.

For general benefit, I do not use whole chicken parts for stock. I save the
carcasses and wingtips until I accumulate enough and make my stock
from that. The result is more then acceptable to me.
--
The Brick said that (Don't bother to agree with me, I have already changed my mind.)

~patches~

zxcvbob wrote:

> biig wrote:
>
>> What is everyone's no fail recipe for a good chicken stock? I have
>> two leg quarters simmering with onion, carrot, celery and a "bit" of
>> salt. What else would you all put in. This will be used for a chicken
>> and wild rice soup found on CD Kitchen website. This will be my first
>> attempt at making stock from scratch. Thanks....Sharon

> I occasionally roast a whole frozen turkey in the Nesco Bigass™ electric
> roaster and bone it out. I save all the juice that cooks out when it's

Bob, is that the portable roaster that lookes like a huge crockpot? If
so, how do you like it & where did you buy it at? TIA

> roasting (it's a *lot* of juice that collects in a covered roaster.)
> This is a very strock stock. Then I take all the bones and I simmer or
> pressure cook them in much water with an onion, carrot, bay leaf, a few
> peppercorns, and a little celery -- and a bouillon cube or two. I don't
> put *much* aromatic vegetables in because I can add those later. Then I
> combine the 2 batches of stock and freeze them in quart freezer
> containers. (I probably should can them instead to save freezer space.)

I'm making turkey stock today with the carcass from Sat dinner. My kids
were kind enough to remove most of the meat for me

> I use the turkey stock and pretend it is chicken. If I really wanted
> *chicken* stock, I would buy a bag of cheap chicken leg quarters and add
> any chicken backs I had in the freezer and simmer them all until they
> completely fell apart. (strain out the meat and chop it with some mayo
> to make devilled chicken spread.)

Either or works for me. I hate using water if I can use a stock of some
kind.

> -Bob

kilikini

"Brick" > wrote in message

> On 17-Oct-2005, "jmcquown" > wrote:
>
> > biig wrote:
> > > What is everyone's no fail recipe for a good chicken stock? I have
> > > two leg quarters simmering with onion, carrot, celery and a "bit" of
> > > salt. What else would you all put in. This will be used for a
> > > chicken and wild rice soup found on CD Kitchen website. This will be
> > > my first attempt at making stock from scratch. Thanks....Sharon

> > Garlic! A couple of bay leaves. Peppercorns or ground black pepper.

Dried
> > thyme, sage, maybe some marjoram.
> >
> > Don't be afraid to cook it way down, add water as needed. Then chill it

and
> > scoop off the fat that settles on the top of the pot. If the chilled

stock
> > sets like jelly, you did well It will liquify upon reheating.
> >
> > Jill

> Thanks for that comment about setting like jelly Jill. I only recently

observed
> a quart of pork stock doing that. I've made countless quarts of chicken

stock
> in the last few years, but never saw that happen before or even read a

comment
> on it. Fortunately, I did not throw the pork stock out as it did not

discolor or
> take on any strange odor. I'm guessing from your comments that I simply
> have not been reducing my chicken stock enough.

Brick, that's correct. It's *supposed* to gel. If not, you're using too
much water.

kili

C & S

Dwayne, when you can the chicken, do you use a pressure cooker or boiling
method? I've had the fear of bacteria etc put in me regarding canning.
What keeps the chicken from going bad? Do you store in the refrigerator or
in pantry? What is your method for canning?

--
Carole
Champlain, NY

Fine style does not make something true, nor has a man a wise soul
because he has a handsome face and well-chosen eloquence.

Aurelius Augustinus (354-430)

"Dwayne" > wrote in message
> I would taste it and see if it needs anything else. Since I am on a low
> salt diet, I make it up by adding garlic powder and more pepper, but that

is
> me. My wife complains that it is too hot (fromthje pepper). Do you can?

> like to put an entire chicken into a pan full of water and can what I have
> left.
>
> Dwayne
>

> "biig" > wrote in message ...
> > What is everyone's no fail recipe for a good chicken stock? I have
> > two leg quarters simmering with onion, carrot, celery and a "bit" of
> > salt. What else would you all put in. This will be used for a chicken
> > and wild rice soup found on CD Kitchen website. This will be my first
> > attempt at making stock from scratch. Thanks....Sharon

zxcvbob

~patches~ wrote:
> zxcvbob wrote:
>
>> biig wrote:
>>
>>> What is everyone's no fail recipe for a good chicken stock? I have
>>> two leg quarters simmering with onion, carrot, celery and a "bit" of
>>> salt. What else would you all put in. This will be used for a chicken
>>> and wild rice soup found on CD Kitchen website. This will be my first
>>> attempt at making stock from scratch. Thanks....Sharon

>> I occasionally roast a whole frozen turkey in the Nesco Bigass™
>> electric roaster and bone it out. I save all the juice that cooks out
>> when it's...

> Bob, is that the portable roaster that lookes like a huge crockpot? If
> so, how do you like it & where did you buy it at? TIA

Yes, and I love it. It's an 18 quart roaster with a nonstick finish on
the lift-out pan. Nesco Mellinium Edition, or some such silliness. I'm
not sure if I like the non-stick surface as much as just porcelain
coated steel, but it seems unusually durable for a nonstick surface.

I bought it at Fleet Farm a couple of years ago. I've seen them on sale
this time of year at discount stores for as low as $27. I think I paid
about $45 for mine.

I also have a smaller (8 quart?) roaster and I don't like it near as
much as the big one, even though the big one is a pain in the ass to
store. I much prefer either one over a crockpot.

I used the electric roaster to cook the Thanksgiving turkey last year,
and it freed up the oven for baking pies. (I just have one oven.)
IIRC, I cooked it breast-side-down for a couple of hours, then flipped
it over for what was supposed to be another couple of hours but it got
done an hour early. I just turned the roaster down to the lowest
setting and moved the schedule up a half an hour. It was kind of nice
having the turkey wait for us for a change; usually everything else is
done and people are hungry and the turkey is not quite ready for another
45 minutes.

The turkey cooked in the roaster was not quite as pretty as when cooked
in the oven, but it was moister and tasted better.

Bob
jmcquown

Bob Terwilliger wrote:
> Jill replied:
>
>>> What is everyone's no fail recipe for a good chicken stock? I
>>> have two leg quarters simmering with onion, carrot, celery and a
>>> "bit" of salt. What else would you all put in. This will be used
>>> for a
>>> chicken and wild rice soup found on CD Kitchen website. This will
>>> be
>>> my first attempt at making stock from scratch. Thanks....Sharon

>> Garlic! A couple of bay leaves. Peppercorns or ground black pepper.
>> Dried thyme, sage, maybe some marjoram.
>>
>> Don't be afraid to cook it way down, add water as needed. Then
>> chill it and scoop off the fat that settles on the top of the pot.
>> If the chilled stock sets like jelly, you did well It will
>> liquify upon reheating.

> The problem with cooking it way down at this point is that biig has
> already added salt. For future reference, you shouldn't add salt to
> something which will be drastically reduced.
>
> Bob

Good point. I didn't notice the salt. I don't add salt to my stock
fixin's.

Jill

jmcquown

kilikini wrote:
> "Brick" > wrote in message

>>> Garlic! A couple of bay leaves. Peppercorns or ground black
>>> pepper. Dried thyme, sage, maybe some marjoram.
>>>
>>> Don't be afraid to cook it way down, add water as needed. Then
>>> chill it and scoop off the fat that settles on the top of the pot.
>>> If the chilled stock sets like jelly, you did well It will
>>> liquify upon reheating.
>>>
>>> Jill

>> Thanks for that comment about setting like jelly Jill. I only
>> recently observed a quart of pork stock doing that. I've made
>> countless quarts of chicken stock in the last few years, but never
>> saw that happen before or even read a comment on it. Fortunately, I
>> did not throw the pork stock out as it did not discolor or take on
>> any strange odor. I'm guessing from your comments that I simply have
>> not been reducing my chicken stock enough.
>>

> Brick, that's correct. It's *supposed* to gel. If not, you're using
> too much water.
>
> kili

Or just not cooking it down slowly and long enough. Good stock takes time.

Jill

~patches~

C & S wrote:

> Dwayne, when you can the chicken, do you use a pressure cooker or boiling
> method? I've had the fear of bacteria etc put in me regarding canning.
> What keeps the chicken from going bad? Do you store in the refrigerator or
> in pantry? What is your method for canning?

I'm not sure Dwayne has canned chicken yet but I do. I know Dwayne from
the preserving list. Alway use a pressure canner when canning meats or
anything low acid. I store mine on a rack in my kitchen since I don't
have a pantry. I use both methods of canning - pressure canning &
boiling water bath.
~patches~

zxcvbob wrote:

> ~patches~ wrote:
>
>> zxcvbob wrote:

>>> I occasionally roast a whole frozen turkey in the Nesco Bigass™
>>> electric roaster and bone it out. I save all the juice that cooks
>>> out when it's...

>> Bob, is that the portable roaster that lookes like a huge crockpot?
>> If so, how do you like it & where did you buy it at? TIA

> Yes, and I love it. It's an 18 quart roaster with a nonstick finish on
> the lift-out pan. Nesco Mellinium Edition, or some such silliness. I'm
> not sure if I like the non-stick surface as much as just porcelain
> coated steel, but it seems unusually durable for a nonstick surface.
>
> I bought it at Fleet Farm a couple of years ago. I've seen them on sale
> this time of year at discount stores for as low as $27. I think I paid
> about $45 for mine.
>
> I also have a smaller (8 quart?) roaster and I don't like it near as
> much as the big one, even though the big one is a pain in the ass to
> store. I much prefer either one over a crockpot.
>
> I used the electric roaster to cook the Thanksgiving turkey last year,
> and it freed up the oven for baking pies. (I just have one oven.) IIRC,
> I cooked it breast-side-down for a couple of hours, then flipped it over
> for what was supposed to be another couple of hours but it got done an
> hour early. I just turned the roaster down to the lowest setting and
> moved the schedule up a half an hour. It was kind of nice having the
> turkey wait for us for a change; usually everything else is done and
> people are hungry and the turkey is not quite ready for another 45 minutes.
>
> The turkey cooked in the roaster was not quite as pretty as when cooked
> in the oven, but it was moister and tasted better.
>
> Bob

Ok, thanks Bob! One of the other boaters had one that we used to warm
up the turkey we brought. I was quite impressed to the point it is on
my Christmas wish list but you know I've been doing that second guess
thing. This would be ideal for our boating needs.
sarah bennett

biig wrote:
> What is everyone's no fail recipe for a good chicken stock? I have
> two leg quarters simmering with onion, carrot, celery and a "bit" of
> salt. What else would you all put in. This will be used for a chicken
> and wild rice soup found on CD Kitchen website. This will be my first
> attempt at making stock from scratch. Thanks....Sharon

I use either a whole chicken cut up, or 3-4 pounds of legs. a few cut up
onions with skin (washed first, root ends dicarded) a peeled clove of
garlic, a few peppercorns, a bay leaf, a few sprigs of thyme, parsley
and dill. a few carrots and parsnips and stalks of celery cut up, too.
low simmer for 3-4 hours. I never add salt, because I make stock in
quantity and add salt when I make soups.

--

saerah

"It's not a gimmick, it's an incentive."- asterbark, afca

aware of the manifold possibilities of the future

"I think there's a clause in the Shaman's and Jujumen's Local #57 Union
contract that they have to have reciprocity for each other's shop rules."
-König Prüß
sarah bennett

kilikini wrote:
> "Brick" > wrote in message

>>>Garlic! A couple of bay leaves. Peppercorns or ground black pepper.

> Dried
>
>>>thyme, sage, maybe some marjoram.
>>>
>>>Don't be afraid to cook it way down, add water as needed. Then chill it

> and
>
>>>scoop off the fat that settles on the top of the pot. If the chilled

> stock
>
>>>sets like jelly, you did well It will liquify upon reheating.
>>>
>>>Jill

>>Thanks for that comment about setting like jelly Jill. I only recently

> observed
>
>>a quart of pork stock doing that. I've made countless quarts of chicken

> stock
>
>>in the last few years, but never saw that happen before or even read a

> comment
>
>>on it. Fortunately, I did not throw the pork stock out as it did not

> discolor or
>
>>take on any strange odor. I'm guessing from your comments that I simply
>>have not been reducing my chicken stock enough.
>>

> Brick, that's correct. It's *supposed* to gel. If not, you're using too
> much water.
>
> kili

my stock usually doesnt jell- but When I make soup, it is usually
chicken soup with matzah balls, in which case I cook chicken in the
stock. that stuff jells like nobody's business . I like to use the
schmaltz in rice pilaf or kasha

--

saerah

"It's not a gimmick, it's an incentive."- asterbark, afca

aware of the manifold possibilities of the future

"I think there's a clause in the Shaman's and Jujumen's Local #57 Union
contract that they have to have reciprocity for each other's shop rules."
-König Prüß

aem

Bob Terwilliger wrote:
> The problem with cooking it way down at this point is that biig has already
> added salt. For future reference, you shouldn't add salt to something which
> will be drastically reduced.

Not bad advice in general, but for chicken stock you need to have at
least a little salt from the beginning because it enhances drawing out
all the juices and good things from the chicken into the liquid. Just
keep in mind what the eventual volume of stock will be and judge the
salt accordingly.

Similarly, a small bit of an acid like white wine or sherry or (a
smaller amount of) lemon juice will enhance the ultimate gelatinous
quality of the stock. -aem

Brick

On 17-Oct-2005, "jmcquown" > wrote:

> kilikini wrote:

> >> Thanks for that comment about setting like jelly Jill. I only
> >> recently observed a quart of pork stock doing that. I've made
> >> countless quarts of chicken stock in the last few years, but never
> >> saw that happen before or even read a comment on it. Fortunately, I
> >> did not throw the pork stock out as it did not discolor or take on
> >> any strange odor. I'm guessing from your comments that I simply have
> >> not been reducing my chicken stock enough.
> >>

> > Brick, that's correct. It's *supposed* to gel. If not, you're using
> > too much water.
> >
> > kili

> Or just not cooking it down slowly and long enough. Good stock takes time.
>
> Jill

Thank you both for your comments. For openers, my stock takes all day to
simmer. For chicken stock for instance, I simmer it until every last bit of
meat separates from the bones. Neck bones desinegrate to tiny little bit parts.
I'd estimate I never can a batch until it has simmered at least six hours and
more likely eight. I pressure can all of my stock at 15 lbs pressure for about
20 minutes. I've never had any spoilage. The result has always been satisfactory
and I usually thin it some in use. One of my favorite uses is to boil potatoes
in stock for mashed potatoes. I mash the potatoes by running them through a
ricer instead of the more normal wooden or grid type potato masher. I like the
texture better. I use butter to finish, but never have any cream on hand. More's
the pity.
--
The Brick said that (Don't bother to agree with me, I have already changed my mind.)

kilikini

"Brick" > wrote in message

> On 17-Oct-2005, "jmcquown" > wrote:
>
> > kilikini wrote:

> > > Brick, that's correct. It's *supposed* to gel. If not, you're using
> > > too much water.
> > >
> > > kili

> > Or just not cooking it down slowly and long enough. Good stock takes

time.

> > Jill

> Thank you both for your comments. For openers, my stock takes all day to
> simmer. For chicken stock for instance, I simmer it until every last bit

of
> meat separates from the bones. Neck bones desinegrate to tiny little bit

parts.
> I'd estimate I never can a batch until it has simmered at least six hours

and
> more likely eight. I pressure can all of my stock at 15 lbs pressure for

about
> 20 minutes. I've never had any spoilage. The result has always been

satisfactory
> and I usually thin it some in use. One of my favorite uses is to boil

potatoes
> in stock for mashed potatoes. I mash the potatoes by running them through

> ricer instead of the more normal wooden or grid type potato masher. I like

the
> texture better. I use butter to finish, but never have any cream on hand.

More's
> the pity.
> --
> The Brick said that (Don't bother to agree with me, I have already changed

my mind.)

Brick, I even use mine (when I have enough) to steam veggies with. TFM and
I roast chicken a LOT, so as long as I don't send him to work with the
bones, I usually have plenty of stock on hand. I use it in potatoes, rice,
veggies, stir fry, soup, there are so many uses to count. It's great stuff.
Enjoy!

kili

Brick

On 17-Oct-2005, "kilikini" > wrote:

> "Brick" > wrote in message

> > > Or just not cooking it down slowly and long enough. Good stock takes

> time.
> > >
> > > Jill

> >One of my favorite uses is to boil
> >potatoes
> > in stock for mashed potatoes. I mash the potatoes by running them through

> > ricer instead of the more normal wooden or grid type potato masher. I like

> the
> > texture better. I use butter to finish, but never have any cream on hand.

> More's
> > the pity.
> > --
> > The Brick said that (Don't bother to agree with me, I have already changed

> my mind.)
> >

> Brick, I even use mine (when I have enough) to steam veggies with. TFM and
> I roast chicken a LOT, so as long as I don't send him to work with the
> bones, I usually have plenty of stock on hand. I use it in potatoes, rice,
> veggies, stir fry, soup, there are so many uses to count. It's great stuff.
> Enjoy!
>
> kili

All good points Kili. I do the same. Even pasta quite often.
--
The Brick said that (Don't bother to agree with me, I have already changed my mind.)

Dimitri

"~patches~" > wrote in message

<snip>

>> Brick, I even use mine (when I have enough) to steam veggies with. TFM and
>> I roast chicken a LOT, so as long as I don't send him to work with the
>> bones, I usually have plenty of stock on hand. I use it in potatoes, rice,
>> veggies, stir fry, soup, there are so many uses to count. It's great stuff.
>> Enjoy!

> IMO cooking with stock just adds so much more flavour to everything. Brick
> mentioned using stock for mashed potatoes and that is certainly good. It
> works well for mashing squash or rutabeggers. I can't even imagine rice
> cooked in just plain water anymore because the stock just adds such a nice
> touch.

I think that depends on the rice. Many types of rice suffer from the addition of
stock as it will mask the delicate flavor(s).

Dimitri

Mr Libido Incognito

jmcquown wrote on 17 Oct 2005 in rec.food.cooking

> biig wrote:
> > What is everyone's no fail recipe for a good chicken stock? I
> > have
> > two leg quarters simmering with onion, carrot, celery and a "bit" of
> > salt. What else would you all put in. This will be used for a
> > chicken and wild rice soup found on CD Kitchen website. This will
> > be my first attempt at making stock from scratch. Thanks....Sharon

> Garlic! A couple of bay leaves. Peppercorns or ground black pepper.
> Dried thyme, sage, maybe some marjoram.
>
> Don't be afraid to cook it way down, add water as needed. Then chill
> it and scoop off the fat that settles on the top of the pot. If the
> chilled stock sets like jelly, you did well It will liquify upon
> reheating.
>
> Jill

I always add parsnip to my chicken stock. I hate parsnips normally, but
chicken stock needs parsnip for some reason. I don't add salt to the stock.
I add peppercorns, a bayleaf or 3, several cloves of garlic, tarragon and
if I'm in the mood a lemon grass stalk. A whole forked lemon added can be a
nice change of pace, so can some dill or star anise. I especially make sure
that celery leafy ends are used in all my chicken stocks, thoses leaves are
so flavourful. I put the herbs and spices in a tea ball as to be easier to
find and remove their spent carcasses. Plus I make stock in a pasta pot
equiped with a sieve insert...makes discarding the used up veggies and
bones easier.

--
The eyes are the mirrors....
But the ears...Ah the ears.
Melba's Jammin'

In article >, biig > wrote:

> What is everyone's no fail recipe for a good chicken stock? I have
> two leg quarters simmering with onion, carrot, celery and a "bit" of
> salt. What else would you all put in. This will be used for a chicken
> and wild rice soup found on CD Kitchen website. This will be my first
> attempt at making stock from scratch. Thanks....Sharon

I made a vat of soup yesterday. A whole fryer, cut up, and two turkey
thighs. I bought a parsnip at the Saturday market for the soup. You're
missing peppercorns and a bay leaf, IMO. Sometimes I put in a handful
of dried dillweed. I almost always use a jarred chicken base, too.
It's the way it is. cooked the meat until tender, removed it from the
bones and threw the bones back in the vat to cook some more. When it
was done, I strained the broth and have it chilling in the fridge as we
speak. Later tonight (or maybe tomorrow) I'll remove the solidified fat
and package the broth in 2-cup portions and freeze for future use. IMO,
unless you've got a free-range chicken of some age, the addition of a
commercial base is a must. Most supermarket-bought frying chickens just
ain't got it in 'em for a good broth. YMMV.
--
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com
Joseph Littleshoes

biig wrote:

> What is everyone's no fail recipe for a good chicken stock? I have
>
> two leg quarters simmering with onion, carrot, celery and a "bit" of
> salt. What else would you all put in. This will be used for a
> chicken
> and wild rice soup found on CD Kitchen website. This will be my first
>
> attempt at making stock from scratch. Thanks....Sharon

Along with what you have already mentioned, if you can get a veal
knuckle or shin to throw in with your chicken carcass or pieces along
with some leek, cloves, thyme & bay leaf you will be very impressed.
Adding veal to the chicken stock ( or just about anything else)
dramatically improves the flavour.

I never boil raw fowl but prefer to use roasted for stock. Not only is
it a better flavour IMO, but a whole raw bird takes up so much room in
even a large stock pot that one ends up with relatively little stock.

I usually save up several carcasses in the freezer so i can make an
extra strong stock. And around the winter holidays when there is an
overabundance of turkeys and hams i often make the stock and boil it
down to a very thick gel and keep it tightly covered in the refrigerator
for use later by the tbs.
---
JL:

Bob Terwilliger

Default Chicken broth -- with potato flavor added

Brick wrote:

> One of my favorite uses is to boil potatoes in stock for mashed potatoes.

Got an ironic chuckle out of this, because in the "Vegetarian Epicure"
series, potato-peel broth is one of the basic pantry items. After you boil
the potatoes, do you keep the liquid?

Come to think of it, there are several other items which can be boiled in
stock and in the process add a lot of flavor to the liquid: Wheat berries
and barley are two prime examples. I make a barley pilaf by sautéing barley
in olive oil with onions, then adding a lot of chicken stock and simering
until the barley is cooked. I drain off the stock and use it for other
purposes, but it's definitely enhanced by having been used to cook the
barley.

Bob

Rodney Myrvaagnes

On Mon, 17 Oct 2005 07:10:40 -0400, biig > wrote:

> What is everyone's no fail recipe for a good chicken stock? I have
>two leg quarters simmering with onion, carrot, celery and a "bit" of
>salt. What else would you all put in. This will be used for a chicken
>and wild rice soup found on CD Kitchen website. This will be my first
>attempt at making stock from scratch. Thanks....Sharon

I use an 8-qt stock pot, and have mostly started by roasting the bones
of a chicken that we have eaten. Leek, halved onion, carrot, celery
stalks, maybe a parsnip. A little tomato paste if you want it brown.
peppercorns.

Cover all with cold water. NO salt, you can salt it when you are using
the stock. Bring to a slow simmer. skim scum occasionally. let simmer
for maybe two hours. Strain through cheesecloth. Freeze anything I
don't need right away in zipper bags.

The last two batches I have used a 5-lb bag of peeled chicken feet
instead of the carcass. This came out very nice, thickened with
gelatin from the feet

Pheasant and duck carcasses are good as well. I have made risotto from
pheasant stock that was very well received.

Rodney Myrvaagnes J 36 Gjo/a

Kansas--working to become a science-free zone

Kathy in NZ

On Mon, 17 Oct 2005 07:10:40 -0400, biig > wrote:

> What is everyone's no fail recipe for a good chicken stock? I have
>two leg quarters simmering with onion, carrot, celery and a "bit" of
>salt. What else would you all put in. This will be used for a chicken
>and wild rice soup found on CD Kitchen website. This will be my first
>attempt at making stock from scratch. Thanks....Sharon

That's not much chicken to flavour the stock.

Usually when I make stock, I end up with about 4 litres of stock
(enough for two soup meals). I start with about 3-4 raw (bought)
carcases (or I use the leftover bones from several roasts) and add 3-4
wings. If you have freezer space, save the bones from chicken till you
have enough, then use all at once.

There are two main methods of making stock: brown stock, which
requires roasting the bones and veges at high heat first, so that
everything browns, then transferring to a stock pot; or white stock,
which begins and ends life in the stock pot. Both are good methods but
sometimes you want one over the other.

Whichever method you go for, I usually add the following veges:
1 inch green ginger, sliced
4 whole peppercorns
1 carrot, roughly sliced
1 large onion, quartered
1 stalk celery and also celery leaves
parsley
Water to cover.

You could add other things if you wish, but I wouldn't add potato as
that would make the stock cloudy. I never add salt to stock. I add
salt when I USE the stock.

Put everything in stockpot. Bring to boil. Lower heat and simmer
gently for about 1 to 1.5 hours. Some people simmer it for hours.
Generally, I feel you've extracted the flavour after that time, unless
you're using a whole tough old bird, which I've done sometimes and it
does give a great stock. Occasionally skim the scum off the stock.
Drain through a sieve, discard all bones, meat and veges. Put cooled
stock in fridge so fat can set. Remove fat.

If you then wish, you can reduce the stock further to make a more
concentrated stock, or further still to make a glaze. A cool glaze
will be a very thick jelly.

It's not rocket science, but you should get a good stock using this
method. If you want a brown stock, first place all ingredients in a
roasting dish, roast at near maximum temperature for about 30 mins,
stirring occasionally. Transfer everything to a stockpot. Add water to
roasting pan and stir up the brown bits. Add to stockpot. Add enough
water to cover and proceed from there as for white stock.

Kathy

Bob Terwilliger

Rodney wrote:

> I use an 8-qt stock pot, and have mostly started by roasting the bones
> of a chicken that we have eaten. Leek, halved onion, carrot, celery
> stalks, maybe a parsnip. A little tomato paste if you want it brown.
> peppercorns.

LEEK? Are you made of money? :-)

Bob

Brick

Exactly correct. (USDA Home and Garden Bulletin # 106, updated in 1972)
However the only guage weight I have for my pressure canner
is 15 lbs. It doesn't seem to hurt anything.
--
The Brick said that (Don't bother to agree with me, I have already changed my mind.)

OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article >,
"Bob Terwilliger" > wrote:

> Rodney wrote:
>
> > I use an 8-qt stock pot, and have mostly started by roasting the bones
> > of a chicken that we have eaten. Leek, halved onion, carrot, celery
> > stalks, maybe a parsnip. A little tomato paste if you want it brown.
> > peppercorns.

> LEEK? Are you made of money? :-)
>
> Bob

Leek is fine if you are going to recover it. ;-d

But, I generally save the leeks until _after_ the stock is made and add
it to the soup. <lol>
--
Om.

Rodney Myrvaagnes

On 18 Oct 2005 00:24:02 -0500, "Bob Terwilliger"
> wrote:

>Rodney wrote:
>
>> I use an 8-qt stock pot, and have mostly started by roasting the bones
>> of a chicken that we have eaten. Leek, halved onion, carrot, celery
>> stalks, maybe a parsnip. A little tomato paste if you want it brown.
>> peppercorns.

>LEEK? Are you made of money? :-)

No, retired

Rodney Myrvaagnes J 36 Gjo/a

Kansas--working to become a science-free zone

Dee Randall

"Rodney Myrvaagnes" > wrote in message
news
> On 18 Oct 2005 00:24:02 -0500, "Bob Terwilliger"
> > wrote:
>
>>Rodney wrote:
>>
>>> I use an 8-qt stock pot, and have mostly started by roasting the bones
>>> of a chicken that we have eaten. Leek, halved onion, carrot, celery
>>> stalks, maybe a parsnip. A little tomato paste if you want it brown.
>>> peppercorns.

>>LEEK? Are you made of money? :-)
>>

> No, retired
>

> Rodney Myrvaagnes J 36 Gjo/a

Someone posted that they were able to buy leeks separately. I found some
the other day that i could buy that way. One small leek $1.20. The
potatoes didn't look good enough to buy, so no potato-leek soup. So I'm
left with the leek -- now what to do with it?
I have on hand: 1 portabella, 1 leek, American turnip, Korean Turnip,
burdock, serrano and jalapeno peppers, watercress, onions, cauliflower,
poblanos (3 large) curry leaves, schallots, beets, limes, garlic, Italian
Parsley, carrots, celery.
Where will my leek fit in!!!
Dee Dee

How to make chicken fat into chicken broth for soup? Seekingsuggestions. Gold Finch General Cooking 21 27-04-2010 07:04 AM
Chicken Broth ULB General Cooking 26 26-10-2006 10:31 PM
Chicken And Broth T & J Bartimus Recipes (moderated) 0 29-10-2005 10:19 PM
More About Chicken Broth Mary General Cooking 3 19-07-2005 08:24 PM
chicken broth Mary Jo Oliver General Cooking 17 22-09-2004 02:07 PM