sarah bennett

Default Chicken broth

kilikini wrote:
> "Brick" > wrote in message

>>>Garlic! A couple of bay leaves. Peppercorns or ground black pepper.

> Dried
>
>>>thyme, sage, maybe some marjoram.
>>>
>>>Don't be afraid to cook it way down, add water as needed. Then chill it

> and
>
>>>scoop off the fat that settles on the top of the pot. If the chilled

> stock
>
>>>sets like jelly, you did well It will liquify upon reheating.
>>>
>>>Jill

>>Thanks for that comment about setting like jelly Jill. I only recently

> observed
>
>>a quart of pork stock doing that. I've made countless quarts of chicken

> stock
>
>>in the last few years, but never saw that happen before or even read a

> comment
>
>>on it. Fortunately, I did not throw the pork stock out as it did not

> discolor or
>
>>take on any strange odor. I'm guessing from your comments that I simply
>>have not been reducing my chicken stock enough.
>>

> Brick, that's correct. It's *supposed* to gel. If not, you're using too
> much water.
>
> kili

my stock usually doesnt jell- but When I make soup, it is usually
chicken soup with matzah balls, in which case I cook chicken in the
stock. that stuff jells like nobody's business . I like to use the
schmaltz in rice pilaf or kasha

--

saerah

"It's not a gimmick, it's an incentive."- asterbark, afca

aware of the manifold possibilities of the future

"I think there's a clause in the Shaman's and Jujumen's Local #57 Union
contract that they have to have reciprocity for each other's shop rules."
-König Prüß