~patches~

Default Chicken broth

zxcvbob wrote:

> biig wrote:
>
>> What is everyone's no fail recipe for a good chicken stock? I have
>> two leg quarters simmering with onion, carrot, celery and a "bit" of
>> salt. What else would you all put in. This will be used for a chicken
>> and wild rice soup found on CD Kitchen website. This will be my first
>> attempt at making stock from scratch. Thanks....Sharon

> I occasionally roast a whole frozen turkey in the Nesco Bigass™ electric
> roaster and bone it out. I save all the juice that cooks out when it's

Bob, is that the portable roaster that lookes like a huge crockpot? If
so, how do you like it & where did you buy it at? TIA

> roasting (it's a *lot* of juice that collects in a covered roaster.)
> This is a very strock stock. Then I take all the bones and I simmer or
> pressure cook them in much water with an onion, carrot, bay leaf, a few
> peppercorns, and a little celery -- and a bouillon cube or two. I don't
> put *much* aromatic vegetables in because I can add those later. Then I
> combine the 2 batches of stock and freeze them in quart freezer
> containers. (I probably should can them instead to save freezer space.)

I'm making turkey stock today with the carcass from Sat dinner. My kids
were kind enough to remove most of the meat for me

> I use the turkey stock and pretend it is chicken. If I really wanted
> *chicken* stock, I would buy a bag of cheap chicken leg quarters and add
> any chicken backs I had in the freezer and simmer them all until they
> completely fell apart. (strain out the meat and chop it with some mayo
> to make devilled chicken spread.)

Either or works for me. I hate using water if I can use a stock of some
kind.